Good in the dirt...

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Gold in the dirt...

When I lived in Kansas every year that beautiful black dirt in the parks gave up 6-12 gold items a year.
Now here in the south my mineralized, trashed out and iron infested devil dirt it is a different story and not so easy.
Still, even a blind squirrel can find a nut once in awhile.

2.3g of 14k.
Also stamped HAPPINESS...no idea what that's all about.
Fits the wife's pinky perfectly so I owned it for about 2 hours.
That's fine, I enjoyed it and now so can she.

Attachments

• Gol.jpg
    Gol.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 92
Upvote 22

NZ49er

Apr 3, 2018
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice piece of gold!

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find!

Ha ha, you gave me a good laugh when talking about your "Iron infested devil dirt"

OP
OP
digger27

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Nice find!

Ha ha, you gave me a good laugh when talking about your "Iron infested devil dirt"

I started my career here and found some great stuff with an F2, a Vaq and a Compadre but any depth past 5" is challenging and the iron and mineralization messes with just about every signal from deep to shallow.
Then I moved out west and thought I was in heaven.
Family issues forced us to move back and I cried.
Now I use an F70, the Nox and a Mojave...all of them seem to deal with this stuff a lot better but I had to learn a a whole new language and figure out some pretty strange target behavior to get deeper and generally be more successful.
Depth isn't really a big issue, because of the clay most targets don't sink more than 6" or so.
Now masking problems are my biggest enemy.
Today I won the battle but the war still rages on.

Last edited:

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started my career here and found some great stuff with an F2, a Vaq and a Compadre but any depth past 5" is challenging and the iron and mineralization messes with just about every signal from deep to shallow.
Then I moved out west and thought I was in heaven.
Family issues forced us to move back and I cried.
Now I use an F70, the Nox and a Mojave...all of them seem to deal with this stuff a lot better but I had to learn a a whole new language and figure out some pretty strange target behavior to get deeper and generally be more successful.
Depth isn't really a big issue, because of the clay most targets don't sink more than 6" or so.
Now masking problems are my biggest enemy.

Good luck, obviously you're doing something right. I'm pretty new to this but here in Ohio I think I have it pretty good. I don't know anything different though soooo...

OP
OP
digger27

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
What detector, what signal.

Nox, standard coil, 5 tones...11-13 changed to a high tone so I could notice them easier.
On this one nickels are usually a dead on 13 but I have dug them at 11, 12 and even 14 from time to time.
This was a solid 12, I dig all nickel signals and also all solid foil and tab signals because I am still a jewelry hunter at my core.
Despite my issues with mineralization and massive trash and iron the Nox with the big coil zeroed in on this tiny thing like a boss, because of the high tone I noticed it easily.
If the ring was 10k it might have come in a bit lower in foil with a lower tone...but it wasn't and didnt.
Most times I hunt with the 6" coil but I happened to have the bigger coil mounted today.
What works, works.

OP
OP
digger27

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Good luck, obviously you're doing something right. I'm pretty new to this but here in Ohio I think I have it pretty good. I don't know anything different though soooo...

I have a friend that hunts in Ohio, he has nice black dirt and can get deep, masking can affect things but usually he has a pretty easy time on his hunts.
If that is what you also hunt in be thankful...not all of us are so lucky.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Very Nice!!! Congrats!!! That’s exactly how it’d go here Too. Luckily all I’ve found so far are Men’s rings. But if she wanted any one of them, I’d give her the best pick. :)

EQ8

Feb 1, 2020
Sw Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happy wife, happy life! Nice to find a great gift for that price ;)

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome find

OP
OP
digger27

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Very Very Nice!!! Congrats!!! That’s exactly how it’d go here Too. Luckily all I’ve found so far are Men’s rings. But if she wanted any one of them, I’d give her the best pick. :)

I have found about 3 dozen gold targets in my time, a couple of chains, a few other odds and ends like religious medallions but mostly rings.
About half are men's and the rest are women's, most of the woman's rings that she likes that fit her she keeps and there are a couple we might resize for her in the future.
I am also missing a lot of silver rings and a a few chains, for some reason.
That's ok...she suggests I go hunting a lot more, nowadays.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find! Ironic that the inscription provided you and your wife that feeling and the person who lost it just the opposite..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread