Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got out to the scout camp 3 times recently swingin my CZ21. I spent 2 trips working on a campsite that has been doing well for me. I still need one more trip to finish it, but the weather is cooling off and I discovered that the water in the lake is down much further than usual. This means I can do some detecting in part of the swimmers area. Swimming in scout camps is divided by ability groups. The non swimmers and beginners are on one side of the H dock. The other side, or top of the H, is for swimmers. The water in the swimmers area is usually 5 to 15 feet deep. These areas usually drop off fast so I can’t detect the water without scuba gear and I don’t dive. The lower water means I can detect part of the swimmers area that has never been detected in the 40 years the camp has been open. I was hopeful that there would be a lot of finds and maybe a few wedding band from leaders there with the youth. I have found several in the beginner and non swimmer areas of the camp.

Day one at the campsite I found 156 coins with a face value of $11.97, 84 camp tent pegs, 2 clevice pins, an older style scout knife, 4 neckerchief slides, a not very stainless mess kit knife, a rope tensioner, a BSA BEST pin, a Boy Scout pin (known as a scout device used on the scouters key award ribbon) a British coin, 2 knobs from the top of Colman lanterns, fishing sinkers, and of conspires a few tabs and lots of melted aluminum from the campfires.

0818F631-740F-411F-9308-5A053975E093.jpeg

The British coin is a 1990 two pence and here is a close up of the pins.

3E96AE96-54E5-41F9-9BB7-C155DE8180FF.jpeg AD4B0233-3523-4591-B1B0-B891DC645057.jpeg

On day two I found 122 coins with a face value of $12.47, 135 camp tent pegs, an old fishing lure, sinkers, 2 rope tensioners, 2 neckerchief slides, an old token, a Sargent pin, a pocker chip, a dead pocket knife, a few tabs and melted aluminum. I believe this is only the second time I have found more pegs than coins. Not good for me, but good for camp.

F0A6B6AE-7B34-4836-9551-70BF34A94824.jpeg

The token is a 1982 Worlds Fair Video Expo Donkey Kong from Knoxville Tennessee. It is pretty badly eaten up but you can at least tell what it is.

67B2729A-F24D-45AE-A1D7-8419E60153F1.jpeg 348B8236-C8B3-49AE-8705-DB4A55A21052.jpeg

In this part of the camp the swimmers area is fairly shallow so I was able to cover a lot of territory. In 6.5 hours swingin my CZ21 in the water I found 242 coins with a face value of $32.79 (96 quarters!), 3 stainless nuts and a lock washer, a religious medal, a pendant, a key and a good Swiss Army knife. (Not pictured are 3 more finds, a 22 casing, a cheapy ninja star and an aluminum bracket of some kind) There were plenty of coin targets, but not much else, no foil or tabs or other junk. Just the pictured finds and the 3 mentioned. I was a little disappointed I didn’t find more jewelry, but scouts are told to leave jewelry at home so I guess they listened. There were other possible coin targets i was not able to recover. The bottom is deep sand in part and part rocks imbedded in clay with little or no sand on top. I scraped and scratched at some of the rocks and clay hoping to get the target out, but after a while I just gave up and moved on the the next. The only way to get those stubborn ones is to dive down with a pinpointer and a trowel and dig into the clay or pry up the rocks and it is just too much trouble when the targets are so plentiful. Maybe some other year when the water is low or if they need to work on the dam and they lower the water enough I will be able to work out of the water. We’ll see what happens.

EF4B57BF-1F8C-4F6B-8C23-BE9FA9BBEE1D.jpeg

The knife is in good shape and all the blades open which is a surprise since it spent at least a year in the water. The pendants are a four way Holy Spirit medal and a yoga OM pendant with Sanskrit on the front and yin and yang on the back.

9C9892C5-06BD-4C85-8CCF-E094AFB3A227.jpeg 32F566C1-00C8-4C21-BA11-F6EC09C93F25.jpeg

I met 2 new friends at camp in the woods. A nice little eastern spotted salamander and a red eft (a juvenile eastern newt). I spot these little guys every now and then as I detect. I move them out of harms way and move on. I loved to catch reptiles and amphibians as a kid. Finding these little guys makes me happy.

3CC181E0-D550-44C8-9DB5-C11AB827B2B6.jpeg 9591B7AD-622E-4ECF-91E8-AF216DC6F3AB.jpeg

I will be going back to finish the campsite next week and give the other 2 swimmers areas a try. So a big pile of coins, lots of pegs for camp, a nice batch of neckerchief slides and more fresh air social distancing for this old man. Life is good! Thanks for looking, stay safe and may your coil lead you to good things.

Upvote 11

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW, what a haul!!! Congrats!:hello2::headbang::occasion14:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those Scout places real produce the goodies! :occasion14:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful, being in nature & experiencing it is all part of Detecting for me. Another reason I like Fishing, although now a days I could hardly call myself a fisherman. I need to retire early to fit it all in.

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful, being in nature & experiencing it is all part of Detecting for me. Another reason I like Fishing, although now a days I could hardly call myself a fisherman. I need to retire early to fit it all in.

I retired a long time ago. Before I retired I used to fish a lot now I fish in the dirt and sand. Thanks for the reply, stay safe and keep swingin. (I wish I had some older dirt to swing in like you do. I love your posts.)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions