Big Rosette, Two 1812 Halfpenny’s, 1807 KGIII Penny and other Relics - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree126Likes

Thread: Big Rosette, Two 1812 Halfpenny’s, 1807 KGIII Penny and other Relics

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Oct 2010
    The Garden State
    Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
    2554 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    I misspoke, I meant "preservation" of course. Do you a very fine job. I'd love to speak to you sometime about technique. Again, very nice finds.

Quote Originally Posted by ANTIQUARIAN View Post
    Thanks Eric, I try to not 'over restore' my finds, it's more just to preserve them.
    Dave

Charter Member
    ca
    Detect everyday like it's the last day of the season!

Apr 2010
    Upper Canada
    XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
    15774 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Noah_D View Post
    Nice finds! I'm overdue for some old coppers... what are the items below the buttons in pics 24 and 25?
    Hi Noah, thanks for your post.
    The items that you're asking about are a mystery to me as well.
    They're made of lead, they have a letter stamped into the body and have a square nail hole punched into them as well.

I can only assume that there are others yet to be found at this site... but what was their use for?

Best of luck to you in Ohio,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Trezurehunter View Post
    Looks like some very nice coin and relic finds.
    Thank you Trezurehunter.
    It's always fun to find an old site that even the farmer had know idea was there.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in NJ View Post
    I misspoke, I meant "preservation" of course. Do you a very fine job. I'd love to speak to you sometime about technique. Again, very nice finds.
    Good morning Eric,
    Thank you for your compliment, I'd be happy to talk to you about my preservation techniques.

I've posted a lot of my restored finds, along with the methods that I use here... Restoration Projects

I'll PM you my cell number, feel free to text or email me with any questions Eric.
    WannaDig3687 likes this.
    Antiquarian - a person who collects and studies antiquities or relics of the past.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
    “Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.”
    “Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.”
    ― John Wayne

us
    May 2019
    Flawda
    Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
    2986 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Now that you have the area scoped out, can you imagine the anticipation you'll build between now and June? Fine hunt and good luck!
    ANTIQUARIAN and WannaDig3687 like this.

us
    Big Boys Hobbies

Jul 2005
    Moore Oklahoma
    Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
    734 times
    Metal Detecting
    Great recon work finding this site! Your hard work paid off! Congrats!
    ANTIQUARIAN likes this.

Contact us for fastest and best service around!

We will beat any price or deal. Have questions on a machine?
    Bart@BigBoysHobbies.net or Call or text 405-206-9010
    Minelab Metal Detectors, Nokta Makro Metal Detectors, Garrett Metal Detectors, XP Deus, Fisher Metal Detectors, Teknetics Metal Detectors

Minelab Partner of the year award for the USA 2012. Minelab Customer service award 2012 and 2013.

Charter Member
    us
    Bob

Jan 2018
    Central Massachusetts
    Minelab equinox 800 & 600, 2 Garrett carrots, 3 NX6 shovels 2 broken, 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
    8745 times
    Coin shooting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Wow!! Nice job Dave
    ANTIQUARIAN likes this.
    “I was a kid once, but I wasn’t very good at it”

2020 YTD totals
    Silver coins 77
    Large coppers 20
    Silver rings 10
    Gold rings 5
    Silver items 22
    Skeleton keys 5
    Military buttons 7
    Flat buttons 83
    IHP 55
    Flying eagle cent 1
    Spanish silver 2
    Other than the finds, 2020 sucks

Charter Member
    ca

Apr 2010
    Upper Canada
    15774 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by smallfoot View Post
    Now that you have the area scoped out, can you imagine the anticipation you'll build between now and June? Fine hunt and good luck!
    Thank you for your post and words of support smallfoot.
    There's another house close by identified on the old map here as well, I just haven't found it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bart@Big Boys Hobbies View Post
    Great recon work finding this site! Your hard work paid off! Congrats!
    Thanks for your post Bart.
    Best of luck to you in Oklahoma,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Joe-Dirt View Post
    Wow!! Nice job Dave
    Thanks very much Bob.
    Hope you're having a good year!
    WannaDig3687 likes this.
    Antiquarian - a person who collects and studies antiquities or relics of the past.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
    ― John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by ANTIQUARIAN View Post

Hello Anton, I appreciate your advice and support buddy!
    It's always been one of my personal rules not to detect after the field's been planted. The farmers in my area have been very generous with their permissions to detect their fields and there's more then enough sites for me to investigate until the crops are harvested. I'm just waiting for two large sites to be disked for next years planting now that the wheat grass has been sprayed. These sites produced well after the winter wheat came off, but I just know there's more to be found.
    Hope you're having a great year,
    Dave

That was my personal rule until a few years or so ago. Until one of the farmers asked me why am I wasting my time walking on a plowed field when I could wait for him to level it during the seeding season. I refused to do it for a few years until he finally convinced me. Couldn't believe the difference! Don't forget, they go on it with their huge tractors long after the crops are seeded. And as I have mentioned, I never did any damage to the crops and if I noticed an even tiniest difference I would stop doing it right away. I think for us not being farmers it is hard to comprehend how tough those crops are (I'm talking about soy, corn and wheat).
    Good luck with your other fields, hopefully this fall will be long and sunny. Last year wasn't that great over here with lots of rain, but so far so good.
    Last edited by Aureus; Oct 03, 2020 at 09:48 AM.
    Da Deus Fortunae

Charter Member
    ca

Apr 2010
    Upper Canada
    15774 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aureus View Post
    That was my personal rule until a few years or so ago. Until one of the farmers asked me why am I wasting my time walking on a plowed field when I could wait for him to level it during the seeding season. I refused to do it for a few years until he finally convinced me. Couldn't believe the difference! Don't forget, they go on it with their huge tractors long after the crops are seeded. And as I have mentioned, I never did any damage to the crops and if I noticed an even tiniest difference I would stop doing it right away. I think for us not being farmers it is hard to comprehend how tough those crops are (I'm talking about soy, corn and wheat).
    Good luck with your other fields, hopefully this fall will be long and sunny. Last year wasn't that great over here with lots of rain, but so far so good.
    Thanks for your post Anton, I apologize for the late follow up response.

For some reason, it just doesn't feel right in my gut when I detect a field that's been planted. That having been said, I have detected in farm fields that were planted with corn.
    The corn was a foot tall and I was swinging in between the rows, being careful not to dig up any of the young stalks.

If I ever did receive permission directly from the farmer that it was OK as long as I was careful, I'd probably give it a shot.
    I've always wondered what I'm missing when I'm swinging over the ridges & furrows.

Hope you have a productive fall too buddy,
    Dave

― John Wayne

us
    Coin licker

Jun 2013
    New Jersey
    Minelab Excalibur II XP Deus Garrett pro pointer XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
    11154 times
    Nice finds Dave, nice pix as usual, I've been looking and waiting for my fields to be harvested, got my eye on some new ones to try this year!
    ANTIQUARIAN likes this.
    I love this hobby so much, now I'm a coin licker!

Charter Member
    us
    Nick

Nov 2012
    Western CT
    AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/ Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/ Vibra-Tector 730/ Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
    2629 times
    Honorable Mentions (4)
    Excellent research and resulting finds, as always. Well Done!
    ANTIQUARIAN likes this.

Cleaning Up The Planet...One Pull Tab At A Time.

Charter Member
    ca

Apr 2010
    Upper Canada
    15774 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by treblehunter View Post
    Nice finds Dave, nice pix as usual, I've been looking and waiting for my fields to be harvested, got my eye on some new ones to try this year!
    Thanks for your post Brad.
    Best of luck when you're able to get back in the fields, beans are done here, just waiting for the corn to come off.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat1750 View Post
    Excellent research and resulting finds, as always. Well Done!
    Thanks very much Nick.
    Hope you're doing well these days.
    Dave
    WannaDig3687 likes this.

― John Wayne

us
    Wood Butcher

Apr 2013
    Indian River Co., Fl
    AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
    1332 times
    Congratulations on a great group of finds.

You know this site better than anyone and may already know the answer, but do you think the original "horizontal" road in the old map could have been in a different location than where it is now?

The only reason I ask is because of the slight "bend/stream" that appears in the upper left of the map seems to be evident in the satellite image as well. If they are the same then it looks like the modern road is situated too close to the "bend/stream?

I've included your two images with arrows that hopefully will show what I'm talking about. (Hope it is ok to mark up your images with arrows.)
    This might help narrow down your search areas for other home sites on this permission. (This is another one of those times I wish I knew how to do overlays.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AntiquarianColinialSiteScreenshot_2020-09-26 Google Earth_Arrow.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	434.1 KB 
ID:	1871420Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AntiquarianColonialMap20200929_154958Arrows.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	717.4 KB 
ID:	1871421

PP55

Charter Member
    ca

Apr 2010
    Upper Canada
    15774 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by PetesPockets55 View Post
    Congratulations on a great group of finds.

You know this site better than anyone and may already know the answer, but do you think the original "horizontal" road in the old map could have been in a different location than where it is now?

The only reason I ask is because of the slight "bend/stream" that appears in the upper left of the map seems to be evident in the satellite image as well. If they are the same then it looks like the modern road is situated too close to the "bend/stream?

I've included your two images with arrows that hopefully will show what I'm talking about. (Hope it is ok to mark up your images with arrows.)
    This might help narrow down your search areas for other home sites on this permission. (This is another one of those times I wish I knew how to do overlays.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AntiquarianColinialSiteScreenshot_2020-09-26 Google Earth_Arrow.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	434.1 KB 
ID:	1871420Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AntiquarianColonialMap20200929_154958Arrows.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	717.4 KB 
ID:	1871421

PP55
    This is an interesting theory Pete, I never thought of that before?
    I did hunt the site in the top right-hand corner of the map just below where you indicated the red 'X'.

This structure turned out only to be a barn, so I'm fairly certain the road wasn't located further south.
    As I'm sure you know, streams change their courses pretty regularly, at least they do in my area.

I'll post a pic of the upper right corner of the map below, along with a pic of the site where I found the finds in this post when I first investigated it last winter.

I just don't think I've found the site I've indicated in red yet, I think I need to look on higher ground and a little further north.
    Thanks again for your help, that's very considerate of you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pics019.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	435.0 KB 
ID:	1871436   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pics010.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	609.5 KB 
ID:	1871437  
    Last edited by ANTIQUARIAN; Oct 14, 2020 at 07:27 AM. Reason: More info added

― John Wayne

Aug 2016
    1751 times
    Alot of hard work went into this research and hunting thank you for the many really good pictures

Charter Member
    ca

Apr 2010
    Upper Canada
    15774 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by islamoradamark View Post
    Alot of hard work went into this research and hunting thank you for the many really good pictures
    Thanks for your post Mark.
    In all honesty, being able to prove my research by actually finding the site is a real rush.

Take care,
    Dave

― John Wayne

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links