Large cent under the roots

One_more_hole

Jul 17, 2017
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Equinox 800; Explorer II; Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought Iā€™d share a coin I dug on Saturday. I was hunting in front of an old school that had been heavily detected over the years. I had been there twice before, once earlier this year with the Equinox, and the prior weekend with my CTX. I had found 3 indians during my last hunt and a few more wheats. The ground is tough, and I remember having trouble with the iron when using the Nox. The Indians I dug the previous weekend had rang up a bit jumpy but with consistent flashes of 10-35.

Encouraged by my finds and the CTX performance from the previous weekend, I wanted to go back and work the area slowly to see if I could uncover a few more oldies.
I got a jumpy but repeatable signal about 12 feet from a very old tree. It was strong, and flashed 12-45 at 6.ā€ I figured it was probably another wheatie, and hit a large root when cutting the plug. I had to dig around both sides because it was too large for my saw. Whatever the object was, it was directly under the root and I had to expand the hole to get an angle on it.

When I finally reached the target, I could see it was large..maybe the head of a key or something. I lay down on my stomach and peered into the hole, rubbing the exposed surface checking for details. Well, much to my delight and surprise I saw the oversized ā€˜One Centā€™ and wreath, and took a photo before removing it from the hole.

1846 large cent ( closed 6 variety )ā€¦. 7 inches down. Not the best condition, and a cull coin, but still a bucket lister for me! Not sure about the rest of the country, but these seem to be hard to find in Michigan.

Iā€™m including a photo of a Barber dime I found a couple weeks ago. Whatā€™s remarkable is that itā€™s in AU conditionā€¦a 1914D. I had never dug one in such pristine shape. I figured it must have been dropped a hundred years ago. This was found at another pounded school site but in an area where the ground was churned up from recent construction. I ( and others ) had hunted this area extensively over the years so this must have been masked, hidden in roots or on edge.

Attachments

• large1.jpg
    large1.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 95
  • large2.jpg
    large2.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 41
  • large3.jpg
    large3.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 83
  • large4.jpg
    large4.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 48
  • large5.jpg
    large5.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 46
  • large6.jpg
    large6.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 56
  • ind1.jpg
    ind1.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 56
  • ind2.jpg
    ind2.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 79
  • ind3.jpg
    ind3.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 56
  • ind4.jpg
    ind4.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 59
  • ind5.jpg
    ind5.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 42
  • bar1.jpg
    bar1.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 51
  • bar2.jpg
    bar2.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 224
  • bar3.jpg
    bar3.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 40
Upvote 23

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds all over the place- Congrats :icon_thumright:

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Congrats on the LC ! Common on the east coast but still always a nice find. Yours is actually in pretty good shape compared to most. Plus it has some personality being holed. Those IHPs are sharp.

OP
OP
O

One_more_hole

Jul 17, 2017
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Equinox 800; Explorer II; Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the LC ! Common on the east coast but still always a nice find. Yours is actually in pretty good shape compared to most. Plus it has some personality being holed. Those IHPs are sharp.

Thanks Jeff. I would love to hunt the east coast states and have a shot at LC and colonial era coins. How is the find ratio of big silver compared to large cents out there?

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting