Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Rodeo Recon, Diggergrl, and I went on a trip to another one of my Civil War picket post sites. Kindafoundabuckle and I had thought we had picked it pretty clean, and it is a fact that this one was the least productive of the picket posts I had found. I knew that this die-hard crew of relic hunters would perhaps be able to squeeze a few more relics from the site. We walked out in the field on Saturday--freshly cut soybeans--and got to work.

Detectors.jpg

Rodeo was the first one to nab a CW find--a .69 caliber round ball. He quickly also recovered a pistol ball as well. I replied with a .69 caliber round ball of my own:

Round Ball Recovery.jpg

The field was strewn with can slaw, and between all the aluminum we dug, we were finding a decent number of relics. Here's a photo of yours truly hard at work trying not to get skunked by these experienced relic hunters:

Buckleboy Sky.jpg

We made an effort to explore that vast expanse of field a bit, and Rodeo was rewarded in his exploration of the site--pulling three round balls and several grommets from a little patch up on a small hill. We started marking our finds with old cornstalks so that we could see the boundaries of the site. Can you see the detectorist in the photo above? ;) Cornstalks in the foreground mark recoveries.

Buckleboy Stalks.jpg

Digger suddenly shouted out "Button!" and we rushed over to investigate. She had what we first thought was a flat button (later cleaning revealed that this was the top of a knapsack hook). Then it was Rodeo's turn in the button department with a nice two-piece button that I suspected might be an eagle button. Digger quickly answered with another button--a flat button with shank intact (backmark says "double gilt"):

Flat Button.jpg

I found a few more .69 caliber round balls, as well as a carved round ball sliced perfectly in half. Rodeo made the last interesting find of the day--a bullet carved into a perfect three-sided pyramid:

Pyramid.jpg

Here is a photo of the 40 pounds of can slaw and junk iron we dug out of the site:

CAN SLAW.jpg

Our finds for the day before cleaning:

Finds Before.jpg

Our finds after cleaning:

Finds After.jpg

And a photo of Rodeo's Eagle "I" button after cleaning. Welcome to the Eagle Button Club, buddy!

Button.jpg

I was a little skunked on the button finds this trip, but I was glad to see the site still producing good finds! The last trip there, we were all battling the heat and the cornstalk stubble last March, and it appears that conditions in the field this time made for a great hunt for everyone. Congratulations to Digger and Rodeo! It was a pleasure to have you two along. Special thanks to Rodeo for some fantastic photos as well.

Oh...and by the way...

Treasuremobile.jpg

If you happen to see me out in my new Treasuremobile, feel free to stop in and say hi ;D

Regards,

Buckleboy

Upvote 0

kindafoundabuckle

Dec 9, 2006
In bed at the moment
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt guys and gal. I wish I could have been there but I feel like I was in spirit. Hey Rodeo the Pink Floyd lead rocks! I WANT IT!! Make a good trade for a Fisher 1270 huh?

KFB

kindafoundabuckle

Dec 9, 2006
In bed at the moment
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW Im NOT riding in that damn thing in the picture. I dont care if we had permission to hunt Perryville. I do have some pride!

KFB

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds guy's!

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A great post Buckleboy ---Congrats on those nice finds.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Buckles... Great post!

Rodeo... Great pictures!

Diggergrl... Great... um, finds!

You guys did awesome... that lead triangle piece is about as interesting
as can be... Dice? Game piece? Very Kewl!

I love the Eagle "I" button... of course... well done.

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Hunt my Friend! That Eagle I has seen better days but hey, she is still in pretty good shape and looks like she has no ground action. Nice keep of lead too! Great day bud! Congratulations>

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
{Sentinel} said:
Great Hunt my Friend!  That Eagle I has seen better days but hey, she is still in pretty good shape and looks like she has no ground action.  Nice keep of lead too!  Great day bud!  Congratulations>

Yeah.  Looks like the plow got a hold of that button and dislodged the back from it.  The back was beyond repair but the front still looks sturdy.  I imagine there might still be half a knapsack hook in that field.  I compared the size of digger girl's piece in this post with a hook I unearthed in the spring, and they're the same size.  I just have to remember that it's a keeper if I come across it!

Regards,

Buckleboy

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Looks like you all had a great day! Nice pics. Good thing you had Diggergrl there to show you guys how to hunt! ;)

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BB,
Great post! With those pictures it almost felt like we were out there with you.
Congrats on some great finds. Love the relics.
Is that a poor mans Noah's Ark?
Is that a Tesoro Silver Umax I see in that first picture? ;)
-MM-

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
Looks like you all had as much fun as we did. We didn't get that much can slaw. Apparently the Ohio and Indiana troops we were chassin' only had water and pepper sauce. :D

Are you kidding about that being the new Treasuremobile? ??? Glad you didn't pick something that might be more conspicuous at a dig site. I might have been able to find your picketposts. ;D

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very excellent finds, great to see you get through all that junk too

HH
-GC

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post, love the photos of the open corn fields and nothing like diggin all that aluminum ???

I got my last Barber Half amongst a pile of shredded by the plow aluminum cans and removing them like you all did is the only way to hope for a hidden goodie.

Ah, that Treasuremobile, I think you would do better with one of these.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=94223.0;attach=114631;image

[Click on photo to enlarge]

Don

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Bucks, you have made me proud again, buddy. That field looks very promising. There is another half dime out there!

Bone Dry Detecting...Kirk a.k.a. a John Walter-style detectorist

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KirkPA said:
Bucksdude, how wide was the artifact dispersal? ??? That was a good idea!

Bone Dry Detecting...Kirk

That 1857 silver was a dime--not a half-dime LOL. It was in a different picket post from this one. Of the two picket posts that are still producing, this one is getting a little thin. The other is still going strong...

Now, about the artifact dispersal--dispersal was pretty wide for this site, but not very deep. I used to carry little flags like they use to mark treated lawns with me. Marking spots can be a help in gridding an area, but the most important thing is that it really helps you get a sense of the site. In housesite hunting, I feel that marking your recoveries is a must, in order to figure out the orientation of what was once on the site. Markers also provide a good visual point of reference for exploration toward the fringe areas of the site. I always like to mark finds with natural markers if possible so that I don't have to collect them afterwards. In the case of this picket post, those cornstalks should still be standing when we return to the site this upcoming weekend.

Regards,

Buckleboy

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
...In the case of this picket post, those cornstalks should still be standing when we return to the site this upcoming weekend.

Regards,
Buckleboy

Thanks! I'll keep my eyes peeled and show you what a Nautilus machine can find. ;D Shall I leave the holes open for you so you can see how deep the stuff is that you are missing? ;)

Burt

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice BB ,I love the way that you guys go into detective mode and try to figure out the line. Looks like lots of fun!

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
BuckleBoy said:
KirkPA said:
Bucksdude, how wide was the artifact dispersal? ??? That was a good idea!

Bone Dry Detecting...Kirk

That 1857 silver was a dime--not a half-dime LOL. It was in a different picket post from this one. Of the two picket posts that are still producing, this one is getting a little thin. The other is still going strong...

Now, about the artifact dispersal--dispersal was pretty wide for this site, but not very deep. I used to carry little flags like they use to mark treated lawns with me. Marking spots can be a help in gridding an area, but the most important thing is that it really helps you get a sense of the site. In housesite hunting, I feel that marking your recoveries is a must, in order to figure out the orientation of what was once on the site. Markers also provide a good visual point of reference for exploration toward the fringe areas of the site. I always like to mark finds with natural markers if possible so that I don't have to collect them afterwards. In the case of this picket post, those cornstalks should still be standing when we return to the site this upcoming weekend.
Regards,

Buckleboy

I accidently knocked them over while detecting your field. Where I recovered an artifact, I put a sign in the hole, "KirkPA Dug Here." :D

BDD...Kirk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread