Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone. I did a bunch of detecting over the weekend and dug a lot of clad and other stuff, but I wanted to share a couple of interesting finds.
The first one is a small button with a back mark that I can’t read. Does anyone recognize it?
I think it says “DOIL” and the. “E” with other stuff around it.

Also I found a tiny little bird band (I think) with NPA 72 and a BD number (which I haven’t looked up yet, so I’m not posting the full number because I don’t want someone to spoil my surprise!).
I think it’s from a pigeon in 1972 (NPA =National Pigeon Association).
I don’t know how common these are, but I think it’s super cool!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1610933842.146953.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1610933848.985535.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1610933897.507790.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1610933906.369247.jpg

Upvote 3

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a 1972 PA, pigeon band for racing birds. The BD will identify the owner, the bigger number will identify the individual bird in that flock.
I just looked up a band from a pigeon I caught a few weeks ago. Except for the material, it looks just like it.
There's a good chance you can still get the info on it.

Last edited:

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think your button backmark reads "Double" something, most likely gilt.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That pigeon probably got nabbed by a hawk on his way home. I had roller pigeons when I was a kid and racing homers would show up at my loft every once in a while. I'd feed them and keep them over night and send them on their way in the morning. Gary

OP
OP
brianc053

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a 1972 PA, pigeon band for racing birds. The BD will identify the owner, the bigger number will identify the individual bird in that flock.
I just looked up a band from a pigeon I caught a few weeks ago. Except for the material, it looks just like it.
There's a good chance you can still get the info on it.

I wrote to the NPA and their secretary replied, confirming it’s one of their bird’s bands from 1972. However they don’t have records that go back that far, so they can’t tell me who the owner was or what bird it came from. Darn!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pigeon, Duck, and Goose bands are all fun to find, and can create some interesting research in their own right, to find out where they came from. Nice find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread