How do i clean a solid Gold spoon!

M

mattjd

Hi Harvy. If your spoon was solid gold it would not need cleaning. Gold unlike any other metals does not tarnish or get corroded ever. Even after a thousand years of being in the dirt the gold item will still look like it was the day it was lost/buried. Your spoon is either gold plated with some of the plating worn off, or it's not gold. Can you post a picture of it? Matt

OP
OP
E

Enloe Relics

I found two gold rings, that were the same way. They had been in the ground over a hundred years, and the minerals in the ground had turned their outsides brown, I don't know why. I took them to a jeweler to be cleaned and he confirmed that they were indeed gold. 8)

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
9-10 K gold will tarnish. I used a dremel, polishing wheel and polish to clean up a few 9K rings. HH, Mike

Detecting Fool

Jan 9, 2005
Stillwater, NY - Home of the Battle of Saratoga
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore starting June 2023
Minelab Equinox 800
Prior to 2020 - Whites VX3, XLT, Spectrum XLT, 6000di and 1DB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
mattjd said:
Gold unlike any other metals does not tarnish or get corroded ever. Even after a thousand years of being in the dirt the gold item will still look like it was the day it was lost/buried.

Everything oxidizes, even gold. Under normal circumstances, the oxidization process is so slow on precious metals, gold, silver, platinum, that it appears to not corrode or tarnish, even though in reality it is slowly doing it. Under abnormal circumstances, the process can be sped up alot. All anyone has to do is what the National Geographic special about the recovery of the gold coins on the Republic (I think thats the one) and watch how ugly the coins that were found were, and then how carefully they were cleaned. The surrounding environment in which the metal is subjected too, certainly plays a large part in how quickly the metal oxidizes.

Anthony

Altiman

Aug 1, 2004
Wild Wild West
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I am affraid I will have to disagree.

Gold does not corrode, and it conducts electricity very well. Gold can contain small amounts of other minerals that change its color. Copper will make it darker yellow, while gold with silver can almost make it white. Pure gold is called 24 karat gold. Because it is a soft mineral it is usually mixed with other metals such as copper, nickel and silver.
(From the ask Jeeves site)

It is the other metals present that corrode or tarnish. I don't know the Karat rating for US minted gold coins, but I doubt that it is over 14K.

Altiman

F

Floater

Enloe Post a Pic of this before you clean it and then after. Also tell us what Karat it is. I would not take a dremel to it untill any exterior impurities are gone. soaking in a mild acidic solution like water and lemon will eat most surface problems quickly. Also a good soaking over night in some reg detergent and water will do too. If its solid above 10k you wont hurt anything. good luck and lets see the pic.

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I would clean it by putting it in a jar large enough to cover it with white vinegar (5%) for a minute or two. Afterwards, bring it out, dripping wet, and cover it with baking soda. Rub it with your fingers until the baking soda takes the tarnish off, rinse under tapwater, and dry. If it is gold it should clean up nicely. Plating (if any) will come off as you rub it. You might look at the edges with a magnifier to make sure it isn't plated first.

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
"I don't know the Karat rating for US minted gold coins, but I doubt that it is over 14K."

Actually, U.S. gold coins have always been 90% gold, 10% copper. This works out to be about 21.6 Karat.

O

Oddfello

wow, lot's of opinions here. If possible please post a pic and keep us updated as to what it turnes out to be. I'd like to see how this thing turns out. :)

jeremiah212

Jan 23, 2005
kahnawake, Quebec Canada
gold can tarnish..
there have been instances in out local chuch where certain gold relics had to be cleaned and polished cause they were changing color due to being in contact with other metals.

a jewler can confirm this..

M

mattjd

Me and Gunner are right. Gold will never tarnish or ever need cleanning - EVER! Matt

M

mattjd

Just as I said Oddfellow. I wouldn't have said it if it wasn't true. Thanks for the link!?Debate is over! ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Matt

Gunner

Dec 19, 2004
This coin was struck sometime between 364 and 378 AD. It is a solid gold "Solidus" of emperor Valens. As can be seen, this coin looks the same as it did when it was struck over 1500 years ago. If I were to throw it out in the yard today and some archaeologist were to find it 10,000 years from now, it would look the same (assuming it wouldn't get damaged or destroyed by some mechanical force).

Gunner

Attachments

• GoldValensRoman.jpg
    GoldValensRoman.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 325

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread