Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Wish I'd stayed home...

Hello all,,,
As you can see in the pic, I broke another knife. :'( Third winter detecting, third knife broken... I'm averaging one knife a year and it sure does take a chunk out of your clad supply doing that. I must be like Kirk of PA and just don't know my own strength... ;D These knifes are great during the warmer months, but a little bit of cold and the blades turn brittle. I didn't think it was all that cold out that I had to worry about it, between 35-37 deg, but it only took one wrong move and pop is what I heard... :'(

I did manage to find 72 cents in clad, (5) Wheaties, and part of an old skeleton key. I dug most of it before braking the knife and the rest I dug with a small screwdriver I had in the car...
120407.jpg

Hope ya all had better luck than I did. The luck from that penny must of only lasted a day... ;D
Have a great day, Leon...

Upvote 0

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Wish I'd stayed home...

Leon,
You are a brute! :D That knife looks well used, so it looks like you got some good out of it. I know what you mean though, these digging tools aren't cheap. :'(
-MM-

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

too bad about your knife Leon. :'( try a leshe next time. i have had mine going on 3 years now and have not even come close to breaking it. Predator tools are making them now and they seem to be even sturdier than the originals. here is a link.

http://predatortools.com/

davesx

Aug 27, 2006
essex, england

Hi leon
That knife looks pretty puny, I use a folding shovel from an army surplus
store, they'er very strong.

HH Dave.

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Bummer!

I use that exact trowel/knife and I've always wondered if it could ever break. It's real handy because it's non-austenitic stainless steel and thus magnetic. I use a magnetic sheath to hold it.

I'm not a metallurgist however I don't think your temperature was low enough to affect the metal. I assume it's some cumulative stress cracking. I've stressed mine quite a bit in 2 months of use and it never looks like it might break. Oh by the way I picked mine up at Lowe's for about $13.

Hmm..keep the receipt and bring it back? Tell them you encountered big roots in your garden.

HH, Joe

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800

Nice finds Leon,

Spend the little extra and get a authentic leche digger. No one is strong enough to break one of those.

HH Jer

Wasabi

Nov 7, 2005
Brevard County, FL ~ USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalinbur II,White's Beach Hunter ID 300, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F75, Tesoro Golden UMax, Whites 4900/D, Bounty Hunter IV, Bounty Hunter Big Bud
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hello Leon,
Here is a link for the Lesche Digging Tool: http://www.kellycodetectors.com/accessories/trowels.htm Look at the very bottom of the page and you will find it.
I use it and it is one of the best all around digging tools for the money. Only $41.95
I have used lots of different diggers in the past and this is my favorite.

panzermeyer

Jul 27, 2004
The Great White North
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum Tesoro Tiger Shark

I had the same trouble with digging tools until I got a Lesche. A little more money than generic crap but it will last forever.God Bless and hh...Panz

joecoin

Aug 22, 2007
milan ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov, Garrett Antique

For everyone that has a Lesche, have you used in below freezing temperatures? I'm asking because I have one, but I have not used it in the cold yet, and I'd like to know if there are any known issues.

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

I use my snap-on bent tip pry bars. I've moved 100lb rocks with them and you can pound on them to loosen the really stubborn blue clay around here. I was thinking of getting my nephew a sears craftsman set for him to use. I also carry my bluntnose dacor dive knife and one of those tri fold shovels.

Born Free

Oct 27, 2007
Davenport, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Here's what you need.
$11.50 and free shipping.
http://www.ronsdetectors.com/diggers.htm
The handle does not break off, you'll see when you get one.
And although Lesche's is very popular, it only has one serrated side and it's on the wrong side.
If you are right handed, you have to saw the "wrong" way which is almost impossible, or hold it upside down or use your left hand. This one is serrated on both sides eliminating that problem. It is a solid tool and about 1/4 the price of a Lesche. It's easy on the clad at $11.50!

Attachments

• trowel-all-pro11.jpg
    trowel-all-pro11.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 841

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia

Got some tools and a grinder? I made a digging knife a few years ago out of a lawnmower blade. I can use it for leverage to pry, even standing on the handle, to pry things out of the ground. It doesn't even bend, let alone break. here's a pic.

Attachments

• 0219a.jpg
    0219a.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 711
  • 0219a.jpg
    0219a.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 726
OP
OP
Leon

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d

Thanks for all the comments and advise...
I have thought of getting a Lesche, but i don't like the way the handle is offset... I might just have to get used to it. I'm definitely tired of braking this type...

& Wow! Cheese, that thing looks awesome... I thought of making one similar to that, but I probably would want one that big... I get enough weird looks from some people in the parks as it is...

Thanks again all
Good luck, & Happy hunting~

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE

Hum, I have one that LOOKS just like that. It's a Treasurewise and is stamped "Made in Italy" is this the same as yours? I had my for 2 years now with flawless performance, and by far the best digging tool I have ever used.

But, now you got me worried. Please let me know if yours is a Treasure Wise and is it stamped "Made in Italy".

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

AWWW..you REALLY don't wish you'da stayed home, Leon! ;) Sorry bout the digger though. That one Cheese has looks like a winner! Might have to get Charlie to make me a miniature version of that one! :D

Congrats on those finds! Nana :)

OP
OP
Leon

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d

nc-joe said:
Hum, I have one that LOOKS just like that. It's a Treasurewise and is stamped "Made in Italy" is this the same as yours? I had my for 2 years now with flawless performance, and by far the best digging tool I have ever used.

But, now you got me worried. Please let me know if yours is a Treasure Wise and is it stamped "Made in Italy".
Hi ya Joe,,, I can't remember the brand name of this one and it's not stamped "Made in Italy", but it is stamped " INOX ITALY ". what ever that means... I really like the feel of these knifes and they do a good job usually, but the blades do seem to be too brittle. I noticed, after going back through my past post, that I broke the last one in September. I don't think it was even all that cold that day. I simply pried backwards a little too much and pop. They don't give you any kind of warning they just snap...

Thanks for the link Ed D., That looks like a nice knife as well. I think I'm definitely going to look into something different this time.

No Nana,,, I always enjoy getting out. I was just really disappointed in myself for braking another one. I told myself I was going to take it easy on this one, but it seems to just take one wrong move and these knifes are history...

Thanks again all...
Have a great day, Leon...

jfx55

Apr 13, 2006
new jersey/pa/bucks county
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
fisher1266-x whites 6000 pro whites 5900 di pro/nautlis 2b
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

get yourself a old military bayonet. they work super great and never break. save some cash, those fancy diggers are all over priced like $30.00 and onwards i have the same one now for 4-years and still cuts nice. and is great getting under tree roots too.

gmstreet

Jul 29, 2007
Elkins, West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I was using a Fiskar's from Wally World. It looks like your digger, only with an orange handle... $9.98. Like yours mine didn't survive the season either.
After some research, I added the Razor Edge Gator($34.95) to my christmas list. It's exactly like the Lesche($41.95) but has teeth on both sides.
Although that Frankenstiend mowerblade above does look real cool!!! I may have to have me one.

Greg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread