Relic hunt in Missouri with good friends.....!!!!! Finally got the pics LOADED!

ridge_runner

Jan 15, 2006
Fort LeonardWood, Missouri
Detector(s) used
DFX, XLT
Hey all,

Alan in St. Louis, Gregd573, and I went out this weekend to a well known Civil War Spot. Needless to say it's probably been hunted by a thousand people for a thousand years. I know there have been other things found there besides bullets but not very much in any variety. A few coins, a ring I think and no buttons that I know of. Anyway, we all met before daybreak on Sunday. Believe it or not it was 66 degrees when I got into my truck to leave at 0530. Amazing!!!! There was rain in the forcast, which came down in torrents after we had left. We got lucky as it only sprinkled a few times but not enough to force us too stop hunting. We only hunted for about 4 hours but it was long enough for us all to leave with some bullets and ofcourse some iron.
Now, I only know a few things about CW bullets... For instance, I know there are .58s and .69s..... I have found a few of both. I have also found some round balls. This hunt was a little different, I found some different bullets. Some I had never seen before. Baldingboy sent me a website in order for me to try and identify them but theres no way. Alot of the bullets look the same and I have no way of weighing them or figuring out the diameter. So, out of the crappy pics I took I'm hoping some of y'all can help me out.... Here are a few pics... I don't have a great camera and can't really take closeups so these pics probably won't be any help. In pic one, below the square nail are what I think are .69s.... There are different from the .69s I had found in the past in that they only have two rings and are very deeply molded. Maybe a Gardner Patent .69 Deep Cavity???? Anyone agree??? The only this is that these were CSA bullets. Also in the first pic you'll see the lone .69 in the middle. It has the traditional 3 rings but is rounded on top and not pointed like some I'd found in the past. To the right of it are the .69s that I had been use to finding. Pic one bottom left are three bullets that are new too me. The are smaller caliber and I have no clue what they were shot from. The lone middle bullet too the right of those three was shot but is plainly in the teardrop pattern. You can tell by the pic that it was cut from the mold there at the bottom. To the right of it are what we thought may be buck and ball or grape shot....????? Those may be one in the same thing....I don't know... See, told you I don't know squat about CW bullets. And to the right of the grape shot is a round ball that I believe has teeth marks on it. I couldn't get a good close up so I know you guys won't be able to help with that one......I've added a few more pics....maybe y'all will be able to make something out in those for a possible ID....
As I said, we all had a great time and all left with bullets. It was a great hunt. Hopefully Alan and Greg will post their finds also. We are supposed to do this again in the next couple weeks. Hopefully we'll have some more bullets and maybe a button or two to show you all..... Thank you Alan and Greg for a great hunt!!!!! Until the next post....Good luck all!!!!

HH,

ridge_runner

Attachments

• Bullets Pic 001.JPG
    Bullets Pic 001.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 1,151
  • Bullets Pic 002.JPG
    Bullets Pic 002.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 1,164
  • Bullets Pic 005.JPG
    Bullets Pic 005.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 1,152
  • Bullets Pics 008.JPG
    Bullets Pics 008.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 1,161
  • Bullets Pics 009.JPG
    Bullets Pics 009.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 1,150
  • Bullets Pics 010.JPG
    Bullets Pics 010.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 1,154
  • Bullets Pics 011.JPG
    Bullets Pics 011.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 1,139
Upvote 0
OP
OP
ridge_runner

ridge_runner

Jan 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
DFX, XLT
Re: Relic hunt in Missouri with good friends.....!!!!! We all found bullets!!!!!!

Folks, it will not let me upload my pics....It is telling me that the upload folder is full?????? Whatever that means. As soon as this is fixed I will get the pics out!!!!! Sorry!!!!

Thanks,

RR

dkw

Jul 8, 2006
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Deleon, Ace 250
Re: Relic hunt in Missouri with good friends.....!!!!! We all found bullets!!!!

Sounds like a good day! I'll patiently await the pictures.

btw, I just tried to make a post in the What is It section and got the same "The Upload Folder is Full" message.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Relic hunt in Missouri with good friends.....!!!!! We all found bullets!!!!!!

Me too ???

I'll just envision your finds in my mind's eye :o. . . . . . . . . . . . . .

WOW!!! those are neat!!

(watercolor)

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sounds like pretty exciting hunt, RR. Glad the weather was nice enough for you, Greg & Alan to get out for a relic hunt. Congrats on those finds, I'm sure there's more to be found. Don't know squat about the bullets either other than knowing what's a 3 ringer...that's all I know. ;D

;) RR

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

Ridgerunner, sounds like you all had a great time. You might compare here and see if any looks similar.

http://www.relicman.com/bullets.htm

May have to hollar at you after the new year to get some needed practice in for lead diggin'.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

watercolor said:
Me too ???

I'll just envision your finds in my mind's eye :o. . . . . . . . . . . . . .

WOW!!! those are neat!!

(watercolor)
:D Me too! :D

Glad to hear you guys had a great time!

Nana ;)

bcs123

Aug 15, 2006
missouri
Detector(s) used
mxt

sorry i missed the hunt sunday rr my wife's 8months prego and we thought she was going into labor...look forward to the pics i know ive pulled hundreds of bullets from there and all that ive found were standard so i think im gonna have to go back and look at them again now..

rebelLT

Feb 26, 2007
SE Kansas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE PRO, XLT, Teknetics Omega

Good finds there.....I think! Whats the deal with not being able to load photos? ???. I have found a few "two ringers" here in SE Kansas in Bourbon County around Fort Scott. I would post a pic for you to compare though I cant seem to POST THE PIC. I cant help you with the id. Just another great find bud! I sent you an email with pics. Added a pic of one of mine for comparison. I find alot of CW era bullets that "dont fit the 3 ringer mold" so to speak.

Attachments

• 120407 001.jpg
    120407 001.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 782
  • 120407 002.jpg
    120407 002.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 792

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004

It's a .69 musketoon. Early union .69 cal minie.

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil

RidgeRunner,

I can't wait to see those pics. I hope you get the upload problem worked out.

Baldingboy

OP
OP
ridge_runner

ridge_runner

Jan 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
DFX, XLT

Gribnitz said:
It's a .69 musketoon. Early union .69 cal minie.

Thanks Grib,

The musketoon was one of the bullets on the website that baldingboy sent me that look very similar. But as I said, I have no way to weigh them or find the diameter!

To everyone else, thanks for looking. Now that I've got the pics up maybe some of ya'll will be able to veryify or identify!!!! Take care everyone! Stay warm but continue the hunt. A little cold never hurt anyone right????

HH,

ridgerunner

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm pretty sure the "small caliber" one's at the lower left are .52 Sharp's.The buck and ball look's about right,sorry no help with the teardrop...hard to tell.Excellent job by the way....nice assortment.HH!!

OP
OP
ridge_runner

ridge_runner

Jan 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
DFX, XLT
civilman1 said:
I'm pretty sure the "small caliber" one's at the lower left are .52 Sharp's.The buck and ball look's about right,sorry no help with the teardrop...hard to tell.Excellent job by the way....nice assortment.HH!!

I believe you are right Civilman......Sharps Carbine model 1858.

Thanks

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice batch of bullets.

They are alot of fun to dig.

HH Jer

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Great hunt! You guys must have looked like you were planting corn out there with all that digging.It's really cool that you found such an assortment,I can see your smiles at each find you made.Congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread