A Birthday to Remember

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
White's - DFX,Prizm V, Spectra V3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got an unexpected surprise yesterday, when the weather gave us another day to go out and do a little swinging. Terry (Icandigit) and I got together for possibly our last hunt of the year. And what a hunt it was. We went out to a park that neither or us had ever hunted before, just to see what was there. The hunt started out like most of the others. Lots of slaw and a few pieces of clad. We moved over to the scoccer fields, and the luck really changed. Last week, we had received lots of moisture in the form of rain, sleet, and snow. It was now gone, and the temps were in the 50's. A real nice day. The moisture was allowing us to really get some great deep readings. I got a reading at 8" that I thought was probably a silver dime, as the indicator bounced between penny and quarter. Dug a hole to China, and out came the oldest coin that I have ever found. An 1853 half dime. I sat and stared at it for a good two minutes before I started doing the happy dance and calling to Terry. (see picts 1 & 2), a short time later, I found a ladies wrist watch. It was stamped 18 K Electro plated, but so what? It's still gold. We continued to hunt for a short time longer, and just before we decided to call it quits, I came up with another one of those Chucky Cheese tokens (my 4th of the year). Included with all of the clad, was one Wheat back penny, a 1945. This hunt, if it is the last one of the year, will always hold a special place in the old memory banks. Hope those of you that got out had good days too. HH all

Attachments

• Birthday finds 1.jpg
    Birthday finds 1.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 558
  • Birthday finds 2.jpg
    Birthday finds 2.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 557
  • Birthday finds 3.jpg
    Birthday finds 3.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 560
  • Birthday finds 4.jpg
    Birthday finds 4.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 552
Upvote 0

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats!! still looking for my first seated and first 1800's coin.

Hal

Thomas007

Aug 29, 2007
Glouster, Ohio
Detector(s) used
White MXT
There is something special about pulling out those seated ladies.

Probably been in the ground for over a 100 years.

Glad that your last hunt for the year produced such a nice coin

congrats and happy birthday

Sanat

TN-Joe

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
Tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA500
Happy belated birthday!!
I would love to find a half dime.
Joe

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice Neb.
A BIG congrats on the half dime. Those 1800's silver coins have been hiding from me. Not one yet! :'(
I got to ask.....what year was the Chuck E token?
-MM-

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Now that's a great silver coin, one of the ones that's still on my list, and a 18k Gold plated watch to boot.
Thanks for sharing and HH.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Happy belated Birthday Neb...Can't wait for The Merry X-Mas post!!Sweet find...Congrat's!

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Very nice finds, love the half dime wtg........Happy Birthday
HH
Glenn

OP
OP
nebstater

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ModernMiner said:
Very nice Neb.
A BIG congrats on the half dime. Those 1800's silver coins have been hiding from me. Not one yet! :'(
I got to ask.....what year was the Chuck E token?
-MM-
Thanks, as for the Chucky Cheese token, I had to go look. I had never paid attention to a date. It was a 1993. The others that I've found this year are dated: 1990, 1996, and 2002. Do you happen to know what year they started putting these things out? Maybe I'll start trying to finish a set now that I know they are dated.

OP
OP
nebstater

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ant said:
Now that's a great silver coin, one of the ones that's still on my list, and a 18k Gold plated watch to boot.
Thanks for sharing and HH.
It was a surprise! When I got my detector last year, my second hunt out I picked up an 1892 Indian Head at one of our local parks, and didn't think that I would ever find anything older than that. It just goes to show you, it's Christmas in every hole. HH

OP
OP
nebstater

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
eathabs said:
Congrats!! still looking for my first seated and first 1800's coin.

Hal
Hope you don't have to wait too long.

OP
OP
nebstater

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sanat said:
There is something special about pulling out those seated ladies.

Probably been in the ground for over a 100 years.

Glad that your last hunt for the year produced such a nice coin

congrats and happy birthday

Sanat
It really looks like it has been in the ground for over a 100 years, but it still came out nice and shiney. I really didn't think that I would find one of these in this part of the couunty. The coin is 14 years older than we have been a state. There weren't very many white people even living in this area at that time. I guess it just goes to show you. Treasure is where you find it. Thanks.

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Very nice......Can't find nothing that nice in our soccer fields :'( Congrats and Happy Birthday!

HH,
Moon

TEG

Aug 15, 2007
Placer County CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Racer, Fisher F-75LTD
Bazooka Prospector
Bazooka Sniper
Grizzly Gold Trap
Calsluice 2B
Keene A52s
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great finds; congratulations! Always wondered what was around there, since the only place I have ever detected in Lincoln, is Bethany Park, back in July of 1982. Went home to visit my parents. It was hot, my wife and two small children were after me to hurry up, and the ground was like stone. Found 8 cents and two Roosevelt dimes. Nice to hear someone is cleaning up the area! Keep up the good work!

OP
OP
nebstater

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gert B. Fröbe said:
Great finds; congratulations! Always wondered what was around there, since the only place I have ever detected in Lincoln, is Bethany Park, back in July of 1982. Went home to visit my parents. It was hot, my wife and two small children were after me to hurry up, and the ground was like stone. Found 8 cents and two Roosevelt dimes. Nice to hear someone is cleaning up the area! Keep up the good work!
Yeah, I've hunted that park a couple of times. Didn't really find much but some clad. You just don't find much silver in the parks here. About 20 years ago, the detector club here had over 80 members, and the parks took a real beating. Fact is, this was only the 3rd silver coin that I found in a park here in the last 2 years. But, it is nice to stumble onto something once in a blue moon. And, with snow moving in tonight, it's probably my last hunt of this season. But, it was a good one. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions