1800s Village

C

chaintown

1800's Village

I have been doing alot of research lately on an area about 2 1/2 miles back through my woods. This place is far back in the woods and very far from civilization from all directions ( I myself already live kinda far from civilization). Back at the area of where I am doing the research there is a water fall about 25 feet tall, knowing that you must have water to live and being that the waterfall can make power I thought I would look into it. I have found out through old people, the library archives, and some books that there used to be a village back there. There is a couple grits mills ( 2 so far ), a sawmill, grave yards ( 2 of them, 1 for each church denomination ), countless foundations, wells and springhouses.

? ? ?Finding all of these buildings and structures is difficult because they are spread out through the woods and creek. The time period of which this place existed is as early as 1789 and ended in 1810. The reason for its sudden shutdown is unknown, I believe the resources of which they were obtaining ran out. I haven't been detecting it much though because I am drawing maps, taking pictures, and trying to locate all that I can. Then I will begin detecting hard.

Upvote 0

TOWcritter

Re: 1800's Village

Welcome to the forum. I have found something similiar where I live. Back in the woods etc... They lived there for a reason. Mining, gold, silver, farming, iron furnace, cannery. Can you pin down any of these? It would help greatly. And don't forget about the slaves. I have found remnants of old chains near some of my foundations. Where are you located? Have you used "terra client" to check out the area yet? It works great for spotting the area.

Attachments

• P2030152 (Small).JPG
    P2030152 (Small).JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 314
  • P2030159 (Small).JPG
    P2030159 (Small).JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 263
  • P2030164 (Small).JPG
    P2030164 (Small).JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 323
  • P2030152 (Small).JPG
    P2030152 (Small).JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 257
  • P2030159 (Small).JPG
    P2030159 (Small).JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 249
  • P2030164 (Small).JPG
    P2030164 (Small).JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 246

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sounds more like a summer adventure with detecting to put the icing on the cake. Like Critter said, try the Terra server at, http://terraserver.microsoft.com/default.aspx it might help determine the size and show some foundations. Now is a good time to map out the sight if you are in a seasonal area, no leaves. HH and look farward to the finds, Mike

F

Floater

Chaintown that is excellent research and so far the story is great. I hope you keep us up to date on this adventure. Like Minelab said. I am envious also. The history and relics should really be good here. Thanks for posting it and hope to hear more. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread