Turn of The Century Match Stick Holder

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
What's up guys, Just going through some relics and taking some various one's out and cleaning them up. I thought this would make a good thing to work on. It was in really bad shape and you couldn't see really anything. I had it sitting in a big bucket full of relics. When I got to cleaning it up I realized it was a match stick holder. It has a striker on the bottom and opens up at the top on a hinge. It's probably about 100 yrs old I would say. Still remember where I dug it.

It was really corroded. I got it looking pretty good. I may be able to get it a little better. This was found last summer. Just thought it would be cool to look at. It has a picture of a guy shooting a deer. It has a tree and looks like a fence that goes around it. There is a guy standing behind the guy shooting holding a gun. It is the same on the other side. The only markings it has is when opened it says G. Silver. I'm guessing gold over a silver plate.

Hope you relics guys like it. HH Jer

Attachments

• Turn of the century match stick holder.jpg
    Turn of the century match stick holder.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 398
Upvote 0

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent find!

HH

Lonewolfe

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks guys, would have been nice if it was solid silver or even gold. Pretty neat the stuff people carried around back in the day. Had a case just to keep your matches nice and dry. This thing was in the worst condition to. You guys know how a nail gets all that orange corrosion on it. Well this thing was caked with it. I had to bust all of it off just to get down to the metal. Wish it would have come out a little better. Still not a everyday find. There neat. I'm a smoker and I would keep my stuff in it.

HH Jer

joey

Mar 27, 2005
boston, ga
Detector(s) used
discovery 1100
cool find looks like an old type of zippo lighter! that might be were thay got the idea from! wtg! H/H

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks minelab, I like it to. I don't know if I can get it any cleaner. Like I said above this thing looks beautiful compared to what it was before I even started. You would think this thing would have held up better because of the composition. It's still in great shape but had about 200 yrs of corrosion on it. The type you have to bust off just to get to the bare metal. Maybe it is older than I think. I expect it to be made around 1900 to 1910 from others I saw on the net. They where desighed the same but had different things on them. They were worth around 300.00 and 500.00. So I guess one of these antiques in really great shape may be worth some money. It's not for sale but does make a nice relic to display along with alot of the others I have. It would have been a great candidate for electrolysis. I don't have one though so I cleaned it to what I felt would bring it back the best.

Here's a few more picks attached to look at. It's both sides opened up. I also scanned the bottom to show you where you would strike the match on those grooves on the bottom. Hope you like em.

HH Jer

Attachments

• Turn of the century match stick holder 1.jpg
    Turn of the century match stick holder 1.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 290
  • Turn of the century match stick holder 2.jpg
    Turn of the century match stick holder 2.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 273
  • Turn of the century match stick holder 3.jpg
    Turn of the century match stick holder 3.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 244

Peak190

Apr 23, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212x,Deleon ,Cibola,Tejon,Cortez,MXT,GTI2500
COOL FIND. Always nice to look at the old finds.

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks guys, yeah I found it in a old park woods last summer. Maybe I'll find another one day made of a more precious metal. I'll pull something out here and there clean it up to show you guys.

HH Jer

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks Minelab, I was glad to show it to a good group of people. You guys really appreciate the time someone takes to do it all. There's alot of smart and helpful people here who are willing to share there knowledge to help others. That's why I like beeing here and will continue to write strories show finds and guide people where they need to be.

Thanks all HH Jeremy

D

Darod

Very nice find Jer.

Everytime I see something like this I just stare at it and can't stop thinking about the history of the piece. If it could talk,....I won't what it could tell us.

Super find, keep sharin' .....we all love it!

Rod

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KOOOOL.....................Those are the kind of finds I like to keep and show-off.......Even better than finding most old silver....................Thankx 4 sharing......McNickle.......... ;D

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
No problem guys. Glad you all liked it. I thought it was neat and figured you all would like it to. Not something you seem to see everyday if ever for that matter. Don't know of the exact time era of the peice. Just a good guess 1900 1910. Could be older. No markings of a company or anything to go by. I hear ya to. A good relic is alot of the time better than the same indianhead I have 10 of already.

Thanks again guys. I have alot of relics. I'll pull something else out that I think is worthy of a clean and post since you guys seemed to like it enough for me to take the time to do it again.

Good Luck Jeremy

M

mattjd

Very nice relic Jer. You don't come across stuff that's that valuable that often. What does the lettering say in pic 1.jpg? Looks like it cleaned up real nice too. Matt

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks guys, No there where no markings at all coin saver. Only thing on it said at the lip when opened was G.Silver. Was looking for a maker on it to look up. There where no matches inside or anything. Was a cool relic to dig. I like this kind of stuff alot because you don't see it all the time. Wonder what one of these cost at the time. It's all a mystery.

HH Jer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread