Todays Beach Find!!!!

dcooper1

Oct 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
New Excalibur II, DFX w 12" Super and stock coil, XLT with stock coil, 14" & 6" coils
Have been hunting the beach for the past couple of days. Two days ago a guy told us about loosing a ring about two years ago. He told us EXACTLY where he lost it. So, today we headed up there, started hunting the area, then the guy showed up and showed us EXACTLY where he was when he lost it.
Five of us hunted the area for about an hour with no success. I then motioned to my brother that we were ready to go and I headed back to the truck. I made it about 10 feet from the truck when I heard a little girl screaming like crazy. Well, it wasn't a little girl, it was my brother!! I could certainly tell he had found something good.
This is the fourth ring in the past couple of days (2 mens wedding bands and another pronged ring without the diamond) but this one is the best EVER!!!!

If anyone has any info on the markings inside, please share. It says "750 IR"

Attachments

• P1010004a.JPG
    P1010004a.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 1,543
  • P1010013a.JPG
    P1010013a.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 1,536
  • P1010014a.JPG
    P1010014a.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 1,523
  • P1010024a.JPG
    P1010024a.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 1,528
Upvote 0

Tavis

Feb 6, 2008
Not sure what the 750 is, but the IR could stand for Iridium, added as part of an alloy. Nice looking find!

cottonjim

Jan 12, 2007
S.W. MN
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Thats a sweet ring, not sure about the 750 IR, maybe the gems are a 750 on this scale..

Attenuated total reflection Fourier transform infrared (ATR FT-IR) spectroscopy has been employed for characterization of faceted diamonds. ATR spectra of round brilliant cut natural diamonds of 0.1 ct were observed with excellent spectral quality. The mirror-flat spectrum of the table facet enables a good contact to the ATR crystal with a minimal applied pressure. The observed ATR spectra agreed very well with the diffuse reflectance and transflectance spectra. The detailed spectral information in the one-phonon region of diamonds with high nitrogen impurities can be clearly observed in the ATR spectra but those in the diffuse reflectance and transflectance spectra were obscured by the saturated absorption. The strong evanescent field under the ATR condition enables spectral acquisition of a thin film on the mirror-flat surface of the faceted diamonds. The spectral signatures of this thin film were not observable in the diffuse reflectance or the transflectance spectra.

Just a thought. HH
Jim

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HOLY CRAP :o, what a beautiful ring. Congrats.

scrapdoggie

Nov 23, 2007
Deland Florida
Detector(s) used
Ace250 Pro-Kellyco
cottonjim said:
Thats a sweet ring, not sure about the 750 IR, maybe the gems are a 750 on this scale..

Attenuated total reflection Fourier transform infrared (ATR FT-IR) spectroscopy has been employed for characterization of faceted diamonds. ATR spectra of round brilliant cut natural diamonds of 0.1 ct were observed with excellent spectral quality. The mirror-flat spectrum of the table facet enables a good contact to the ATR crystal with a minimal applied pressure. The observed ATR spectra agreed very well with the diffuse reflectance and transflectance spectra. The detailed spectral information in the one-phonon region of diamonds with high nitrogen impurities can be clearly observed in the ATR spectra but those in the diffuse reflectance and transflectance spectra were obscured by the saturated absorption. The strong evanescent field under the ATR condition enables spectral acquisition of a thin film on the mirror-flat surface of the faceted diamonds. The spectral signatures of this thin film were not observable in the diffuse reflectance or the transflectance spectra.

Just a thought. HH
Jim
Huh?

OP
OP
dcooper1

dcooper1

Oct 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
New Excalibur II, DFX w 12" Super and stock coil, XLT with stock coil, 14" & 6" coils
Jim,
Could you please give us the scientific explaination ;)
Thanks for the help. ;D

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet! 750 is the European designation for 18K gold. It might be rhodium plated if it's white gold. IR could be the makers mark, or hallmark.

HH!
TBGO

buffhunter

May 30, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
WOW!!! Nice looking ring. also a WOW on cottonjim's reply........... I had to read it a few times to understand it.

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now THAT"S a ring!!! Nice job.

Nat

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
scrapdoggie said:
cottonjim said:

Just a thought. HH
Jim
Huh?

I always have trouble hunting........"strong evanescent fields".............lot detector chatter......

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DC,
That honestly has to be one of the best looking rings I've ever seen on TN. That is BEAUTIFUL!!! Looks very expensive (I hope).
Congrats to your Bro!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D
Great job.
-MM-

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OMG If I found that bad boy, it would stayyyyyyyyyyyy on my finger big time... absolutely beautiful.

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Beautiful ring, Fantastic!! Congrats to your Brother WTG
HH
Glenn

Iskuli

Jun 17, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites-DSL
Awesome find. Absolutely beautiful.

This inf. helps me when I see a stamp I don't know.

Gold stamps

Solid gold is often stamped or branded, either with its karat symbol or with the percentage representating the carat.

The stamps for percentage and karat symbol for gold expressed as follows:

333 - 8K gold
375 - 9k gold (vey popular in the old world, especially pre WWII UK)
417 - 10K gold
500 - 12K gold
585 - 14K gold
666 - 16K gold (gold teeth and fillings)
750 - 18K gold
792 - 19K gold (used in portugal)
833 - 20K
916 - 22k gold
999 - 24K gold

You may have noticed that the stamp for the 14K gold is slightly higher than the actual percentage of pure gold in that karatage. This is because in Europe there is a practice of putting a slightly higher percentage of gold into what we call 14K gold (ie they put 58.5% instead of 58.3%).

suwannee pirate

Feb 12, 2006
Lake City FL
Detector(s) used
excalibur,garrett,micropulse
Great ring , looks to be fine quality. Screamed like a little girl ? Gotta tell him not to get too excited and work on his poker face for future big finds.
Bob

Southern_Boy

Feb 2, 2007
New York State..Vestal, NY
Detector(s) used
Fischer CZ-3D
Wow...OMG...that is the best ring I have seen in a long time. I think the best answer to your question, is to take it to a jeweler and find out from them. I hope if you find the answer, that you will share it with us. Wow!!!!

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
whoa! ill bet that rock is the real deal too! :o take it to a jeweler and get it appraised. great find!

JC dig's

Jul 10, 2007
Culpeper,Va
Detector(s) used
fisher 1236x / whites xlt / garret ace250
I don't know where you guys get your luck???? Belt buckles, swords, stirrups, spurs "Ginormus diamond rings" your kill'n me. If I had a 3rd of your luck I might find something besides aluminum cans maybe even a wheat penny...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread