Florida Family Fossil Hunt #2 (Lots of Pics)

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My family and I had a great time this weekend hunting late Miocene Era fossils at the same spot we found some things last week with Grandma. It was my wife's first shot at fossil hunting and we all had a pretty good time till we got worn out from all the digging and bending and sorting.

There had been a fairly good rain a couple of days before and we were the first people there since the rain which had washed some good sized gravel piles up into the turns of the creek. I had found a larger rib bone the day before when I went to see how deep the creek had gotten from the rain. I walked down to the water and it was laying just out of the water on the bank. It appears to be from a Dugong maybe. They were similar to the modern Manatee.

We were pretty lucky using the screening box to sift through the gravel. We were looking for shark tooth fossils and hoped for some better things also. We did pretty good with a total of 36+ shark tooth fossils, two more bone fossils to include what looks like a rib bone and another unknown bone, a couple of crocodile teeth, a nice crinoid stem, an unknown tooth from something and other unknowns. My wife found her first shark tooth fossil and our first of the day and she found a nice sharks tooth fossil still embedded in matrix with the end of the tooth just barely protruding out of the matrix. This gives a good look at where the fossil teeth come from. (See the photo) She also found a nice plant fossil in limestone. The boys enjoyed catching and releasing minnows in a hand net and making dams in a small feeder stream. The creek was crystal clear and by the time of our hunt was only a half foot deep or so in most areas.

Hope you enjoy the photos.

Attachments

• Fossil Hunt 003.jpg
    Fossil Hunt 003.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 707
  • Fossil Hunt 030.jpg
    Fossil Hunt 030.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 661
  • Fossil Hunt 033.jpg
    Fossil Hunt 033.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 665
  • Fossil Hunt 032.jpg
    Fossil Hunt 032.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 668
  • Fossil Hunt 031.jpg
    Fossil Hunt 031.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 658
  • Fossil Hunt 025.jpg
    Fossil Hunt 025.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 668
  • Fossil Hunt 023.jpg
    Fossil Hunt 023.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 670
  • Fossil Hunt 018.jpg
    Fossil Hunt 018.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 687
  • Fossil Hunt 006.jpg
    Fossil Hunt 006.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 680
  • Fossil Hunt 012.jpg
    Fossil Hunt 012.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 693
  • Fossil Hunt 009.jpg
    Fossil Hunt 009.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 692
  • Fossil Hunt 014.jpg
    Fossil Hunt 014.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 699
Upvote 0

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Florida Family Fossil Hunt #2

those are cool finds! glad your family could get out together!

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Compass & Beachunter 300, Garrett Seahunter Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That looks like it was a fun time. You need to head down around the Peace River lol....

Attachments

• 450px-Megalodon.jpg
    450px-Megalodon.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 645
OP
OP
DaChief

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Travel time Bill. If I had the time to travel down there, we would be in the surf finding gold!!!!!! But that is one awesome tooth! We have those here also. I just haven't been lucky enough to stumble up on one yet. Just my second time out also so the odds are a little against me one taking one of those trophies home yet.

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Chief, Love seeing a family doing family things together , What a breath of fresh air . That's what I call a real man , someone who takes an interest in his family on sunday afternoon ..priceless. We need a whole lot more of that today in our crazy world ,, Hats off to you Chief .. Outstanding Guzz1

OP
OP
DaChief

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Guzz. Hope to get with you guys down south in a few weeks for that hunt and cook out we were talking about. Spring break is just around the corner and there will be lots of depositors in and around the water then. Not sure if that is a good time to have a family outing at the beach though. I remember my spring break days at the beach. Not a pretty picture.

Jim

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one awesome family adventure!

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that looks like a great day out! Thanks for the pics and congrats on those finds!!!

Nana :)

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like an awesome day Chief.

You're retired now so you can do that stuff all the time.

Ken

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool Deal Chief.....I can't wait for little man to go "exploring " with me.Look's like a fine time.Congrat's and HH!!

wyattrr

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2008
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sounds like time well spent...No one moaned because they were bored...Glad you guys had fun...Great pics by the way...HH

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
HeyĀ  JimĀ  prettyĀ  mellow down this way. SarasotaĀ  isĀ  a niceĀ  town. We have a goodĀ  police force here . They do notĀ  putĀ  upĀ  with anyĀ  crapola, TheĀ  element knowsĀ  toĀ  stayĀ  clearĀ  of theĀ  beach .Ā  Yea I'm thinking rightĀ  aroundĀ  spring break a cook outĀ  / huntĀ  at siestaĀ  key ,Ā  theĀ  southĀ  endĀ  They haveĀ  picnicĀ  areaĀ  with out doorĀ  Grills , all ya haveĀ  doĀ  bringĀ  theĀ  charcoalĀ  andĀ  someĀ  hamburgersĀ  andĀ  hotdogs andĀ  bunsĀ  ChipsĀ  . all we haveĀ  toĀ  doĀ  isĀ  pickĀ  a date that'sĀ  goodĀ  forĀ  all andĀ  willĀ  getterĀ  doneĀ  ,,,ItsĀ  gonnaĀ  be a fun day.. TakeĀ  careĀ  Jim
Ā  GUZZ1

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
we used to go shark toothing at casperson beach just outside of venice florida. we used to bring home dozens of them each. my dad once hauled over 100 of them in a single day. the best one I ever found was on coquina beach near bradenton. it was a megalodon over 3" long and I got a mastadon tooth the same day.

my dad pulled out a very long narrow tooth that was over 2" long. I think it was a lemon shark tooth. my dad made 2 of those toothing baskets from aluminum and galvanized wire fencing 1/4".
those were some awesome days. my mom used to do it and snorkled with us too.

you folks brought back some very good memories, god bless you all.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great family fun...looks like everyone had a great time. Thanks for letting us tag along. ;D

;) RR

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

FloridaBill said:
That looks like it was a fun time. You need to head down around the Peace River lol....

Wow! FB that megalodon tooth is in outstanding shape!

I found this on one a $5 table in a Memphis TN indoor flea market.

Yours is also spooky as all get out as I was told at Myrtle Beach that the black ones are fossilized (sharks teeth in general) but the white ones are fresh! Yowzer!!!!!

Attachments

• Tooth.JPG
    Tooth.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 304
  • Tooth.JPG
    Tooth.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 316

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread