Today, the pictures make the story...not so much the finds...take a L@@K ;)

ashleysflyr

Jan 2, 2008
Missouri
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S MXT (and man is she hot!)
Alright,
Well, today was kind of disappointing at first. Searched a house built in the 1880's...again. Not as much interesting stuff today, I think I was just holding my mouth wrong.
Anyway, It was a BEAUTIFUL day!
North Spillway2.jpg
look out at dam.jpg
I didn't find much, but I did have three firsts today.
First square head nail (and it's a sexy one)...
1st square head nail.jpg

And my first "BUCKEYE" doohickey...
buckeye doohicky.jpg

Here's the bottom...
buckeye bottom.jpg

Here's the "BUCKEY"...
buckeye.jpg

And, my first pocket knife. I am kind of excited about this one, because I collect pocket knives, and have always wanted to find on. Also, this is on one of my friends property, and it has been in their family since it was built (1880's), so this probably belonged to a family member...
knifeJ&Lfeb29 #2.jpg
knifeJ&Lfeb29.jpg

I wrapped it up after I hit two tot lots, and the only thing I found was a nail and a bobby pin. I thought the day was a loss (except my three firsts) until my fiance' and I went to eat at our friend's house...built in the 1920's...and I was showing him this sight and explaining how much a coin can be worth...when (get this) he asked ME to metal detect HIS lawn!!! It's got a back alley, and a side walk, and is in Hannibal Missouri (ring a bell...Tom and Huck...). They are packed, tall, townhouses with classic steep front yards and alleys with walkways where people used to park their cars in the back. I am VERY excited about this one. I have been reluctant to ask him to hunt it because he is trying to sell it. And, we were in Iraq together, and he is such a nice guy (amazing friend) that I didn't want to impose in ANY way...but he asked ME! I am excited. We agreed that we would split the profit 50/50 (my condition), and I am going to show him how to work the machine. This should be a whole lot of fun with a friend I would do anything for. I am excited!
OH! And, I was driving along in an old washed out road I found on Google Earth, when I spotted this!
old stone bldg.jpg
just stone bldg.jpg

The building is about 5 feet tall, the entrance just a little smaller. My soon to be father in law says that these are very common seller type buildings for the area, and when you walk in, it should be fairly deep (he said he had one on his farm growing up). We shall see.

It's a bit blurry because I could not slow down (for fear of getting stuck, which I had just done) so I snapped it whilst driving. The fence says NO TRESSPASSING...but my friend (that owns the 1880's house) knows the owner and is going to try and get me in. This ought to be awesome! This area was setteled in the "18 teens" and this looks like a VERY old residence (not the building, but the collapsed roof right next to it... Anyway, I will post my finds from tomorrow at my friend's house, and what I find out about this stone structure. Thanks for looking and reading. Happy hunting yall!!!

~Tom ;D

Upvote 0

SomeGuy

Jun 26, 2005
Re: Today, the pictures make the story...not so much the finds...take a L@@K!

Dude, you're on a roll!

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
And to think it all started with a sexy square head nail!! :o Incredible day you had and so looking forward to hearing what all you find later!

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
You had a great day for first! Congrats. Hope you can get in on that old fallen down house property. Thanks for your service to our Country!

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil
Awesome! Congratulations ashleysflyr!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't reveal too much from your Hannibal spots or I will show up there! ;) :D ;D My mom is from Bowling Green and I have family there. It is right next to Hannibal.

Baldingboy

Dan W Wa.

Mar 4, 2007
Montesano Washington
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq
That's Great Tom, sounds like your having a blast. Man if I'd have known you wanted a square nail I would have sent you a couple of pounds of them LOL.
Good luck at the next place.

HH
Dan

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS & Explorer II, Fisher 1236-X2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting finds Tom! That last pic looks like a root cellar where one would store things for the winter like taters, onions, carrots, turnips, parsnips, and any other veggie that is dug-up (hence the name "root" cellar). So if that's what it is then that's most likely a farmstead site. Can't wait to see what you get in Hannibal as well.

HH,
SgtSki

PS: Did you get my PM a few days ago?

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice sites, hope you get permission! HH, Mike

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the doohickey-appears to be a pet-cock ,for a gas line .a small valve for shutting off gas or water usually 1/4" can be 1/8",3/8",5/8",1/2" etc. probably made of brass. ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions