We hunted hard.....lots of trash, and SOME treasures.

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil
Let's see, where shall I start?...........

Me and Mastereagle22 recently acquired some new spots to hunt in a great area close to the Mississippi river. This is in the older part of town. We made our second trip to one of the spots and because of all the ground saturation and trash, it was difficult to detect. We planned this hunt for a week, and we had warmer weather even though the ground was pretty wet.

The minutes ticked off like hours at work until we clocked out and were able to hit it. A few minutes before clocking out, we both had changed our clothes and at the strike of the detecting hour, we were off.

Because Mastereagle had a prior engagement later in the evening....(his wife wears the pants)....we each drove our own vehicles. Unfortunately, I followed him. Let me tell you that if I had been taping him as I followed along, I could have sold the royalties to The Richard Petty Driving School for a lot of money. He was running yellow lights and popping wheelies in his car. He had the sunroof open and as he drove, he looked like the Sasquatch from "Harry and the Henderson's" driving the car. Every corner, the car would lean into the curb and his hair would blow signaling the direction he was turning. Scary almost.

By the grace of the detector gods, we made it there alive and got our gear on and got ready to detect. Mastereagle forgot his pinpointer (his wife hid it) and mine wasn't working either...even when I changed the batteries. Bullseye pinpointers!!.......can't live with them, can't live without them!!

We had detected for about 20 minutes when I finally got a broken signal that I was able to reproduce at only a couple inches. The tone was nice and high, and soon I was admiring a 1945 Mercury!! Oh yeah baby!! Mastereagle found a couple neat things and I soon had a good nickel sound. I managed to dig an old Phoenix or Southwestern pendant. It is only junk metal, but interesting non the less. A short time later, a huge signal revealed a cool lock.

Mastereagle and I continued to expand our hunting line to include a strip of grass that ran alongside the street and ME22 finally came up with a nice silver Rosie he had found! WTG Bro!! He trumped that find (in my opinion) with a spectacular football medal that I would call our FIND OF THE NIGHT. All in all, we had a good time digging and got to throw dirt clods at one another again. Ahhh...good times....good times.

I am sure Mastereagle will be posting his finds, so check them out. I believe he is gone this weekend, so be patient. Here is everything I found:

First the trash:

100_4074.jpg

Secondly, the treasure:

100_4075.jpg

Here is a lock from the "Eagle Lock Company". Anyone know anything about it?

100_4076.jpg
100_4077.jpg

Here is the better items I found:

100_4078.jpg

100_4079.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Baldingboy

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
100_4082.jpg

100_4080.jpg

100_4081.jpg

What the heck is this? Any clue? Dental floss container.....Sewing machine bobbin piece?

100_4084.jpg

100_4087.jpg

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt, post and finds! Looks like a button. HH, Mike

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS & Explorer II, Fisher 1236-X2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool finds BB!

I said it once and I'll say it again....PLAY MONEY!!!! I absolutely HATE finding it! AAARRRGH!!! It's cool and all, but every single time I dig it I get agitated. Here's my usual script when I find it:

1. Sweep & listen to my detector.....sounds like a coin!!!
2. Sweep from a couple other directions to make sure it repeats.
3. Pinpoint it and cut a plug.
4. Wave around the X-1 probe until I finally zero in on it.
5. Carefully move dirt away.
6. See something round and shiny that looks smaller than a dime!
7. Get all excited because I think it's a Half Dime or Silver 3c Piece.
8. Discover that it is NOT a Half Dime or Silver 3-center but is, in fact, ANOTHER piece of PLAY MONEY!
9. Wait for my heart rate to slow back down.
10. Cuss under my breath while resisting my urge to do the Explorer Toss or play lawn darts with my digger.
11. Have a smoke (I've since quit though!)
12. Heave a sigh because the Happy Dance will once more be NOT taking place.
12. Resume hunting.

I do save the play money that I find (I really don't know why). Maybe it's so I can re-seed them somewhere along with my Large Cent-sized copper slugs that I engraved with: "SgtSki in MI was here" with the year on it. I make a bunch of them each season at work and I'm still waiting for someone to find one. I know that one can be found in each of the following spots: Shelbyville, IL; Mattoon, IL: Charleston, IL; Pana, IL; Fairgrounds Park, Forest Park, and Carondelet Park in STL. I put them at about 6" deep or so.

.......Maybe I think up a prize to offer if anyone ever posts one on here!!

Cool Finds and HH!!!!
-SgtSki

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
I especially like the true value key. great finds. was this over by fort d? have always wanted to md there, but won't go by myself. scary

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Nice Finds.....

Here's some articles on the Eagle Lock Company...one article is part of an obit of Mr. Jordan, but I thought the info about the Eagle Lock Company would help learning about the company.

The last article is NOT the full article...I only highlighted info about the lock company...since there is a museum..maybe they can help you with dating the lock! Good Luck!

Nice Lock too!
HH,
Annmarie

Attachments

• eagle lock company 5a.jpg
    eagle lock company 5a.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 635
  • eagle lock company 4a.jpg
    eagle lock company 4a.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 652
  • eagle lock company 3a.jpg
    eagle lock company 3a.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 650
  • eagle lock company 2a.jpg
    eagle lock company 2a.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 670
  • eagle lock company 1a.jpg
    eagle lock company 1a.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 671

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Nice finds ! Heres a picture of your Thunderbird with it's tailfeathers,
Jerry

Attachments

• thunderbird.JPG
    thunderbird.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 568

drywalldave

Feb 6, 2008
redmond oregon
Baldingboy said:
Let's see, where shall I start?...........

Me and Mastereagle22 recently acquired some new spots to hunt in a great area close to the Mississippi river. This is in the older part of town. We made our second trip to one of the spots and because of all the ground saturation and trash, it was difficult to detect. We planned this hunt for a week, and we had warmer weather even though the ground was pretty wet.

The minutes ticked off like hours at work until we clocked out and were able to hit it. A few minutes before clocking out, we both had changed our clothes and at the strike of the detecting hour, we were off.

Because Mastereagle had a prior engagement later in the evening....(his wife wears the pants)....we each drove our own vehicles. Unfortunately, I followed him. Let me tell you that if I had been taping him as I followed along, I could have sold the royalties to The Richard Petty Driving School for a lot of money. He was running yellow lights and popping wheelies in his car. He had the sunroof open and as he drove, he looked like the Sasquatch from "Harry and the Henderson's" driving the car. Every corner, the car would lean into the curb and his hair would blow signaling the direction he was turning. Scary almost.

By the grace of the detector gods, we made it there alive and got our gear on and got ready to detect. Mastereagle forgot his pinpointer (his wife hid it) and mine wasn't working either...even when I changed the batteries. Bullseye pinpointers!!.......can't live with them, can't live without them!!

We had detected for about 20 minutes when I finally got a broken signal that I was able to reproduce at only a couple inches. The tone was nice and high, and soon I was admiring a 1945 Mercury!! Oh yeah baby!! Mastereagle found a couple neat things and I soon had a good nickel sound. I managed to dig an old Phoenix or Southwestern pendant. It is only junk metal, but interesting non the less. A short time later, a huge signal revealed a cool lock.

Mastereagle and I continued to expand our hunting line to include a strip of grass that ran alongside the street and ME22 finally came up with a nice silver Rosie he had found! WTG Bro!! He trumped that find (in my opinion) with a spectacular football medal that I would call our FIND OF THE NIGHT. All in all, we had a good time digging and got to throw dirt clods at one another again. Ahhh...good times....good times.

I am sure Mastereagle will be posting his finds, so check them out. I believe he is gone this weekend, so be patient. Here is everything I found:

First the trash:

Secondly, the treasure:

Here is a lock from the "Eagle Lock Company". Anyone know anything about it?

Here is the better items I found:
That key looks like it goes to a muscle car....quick find it.. even thogh it is a copy

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've got the same "phienox" BB :D but I can't find it.Cool deal....

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He had the sunroof open and as he drove, he looked like the Sasquatch from "Harry and the Henderson's" driving the car. Every corner, the car would lean into the curb and his hair would blow signaling the direction he was turning. Scary almost.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
:D :D :D :D :D That is too funny! :D :D :D :D :D

Congrats on that silver, BB!! What's the thing on the bottom left? We find those here all the time but don't know what they are?

Nana :)

OP
OP
Baldingboy

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Nana40 said:
He had the sunroof open and as he drove, he looked like the Sasquatch from "Harry and the Henderson's" driving the car. Every corner, the car would lean into the curb and his hair would blow signaling the direction he was turning. Scary almost.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
:D :D :D :D :D That is too funny! :D :D :D :D :D

Congrats on that silver, BB!! What's the thing on the bottom left? We find those here all the time but don't know what they are?

Nana :)

Nana,
I don't know either. I find those all the time at older homesites. It looks almost like an "aluminum bug" or moth looking creature..doesn't it? Before you certify my to the nuthouse, look at the pic again. ;D

OP
OP
Baldingboy

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
SgtSki in MI said:
Cool finds BB!

I said it once and I'll say it again....PLAY MONEY!!!! I absolutely HATE finding it! AAARRRGH!!! It's cool and all, but every single time I dig it I get agitated. Here's my usual script when I find it:

1. Sweep & listen to my detector.....sounds like a coin!!!
2. Sweep from a couple other directions to make sure it repeats.
3. Pinpoint it and cut a plug.
4. Wave around the X-1 probe until I finally zero in on it.
5. Carefully move dirt away.
6. See something round and shiny that looks smaller than a dime!
7. Get all excited because I think it's a Half Dime or Silver 3c Piece.
8. Discover that it is NOT a Half Dime or Silver 3-center but is, in fact, ANOTHER piece of PLAY MONEY!
9. Wait for my heart rate to slow back down.
10. Cuss under my breath while resisting my urge to do the Explorer Toss or play lawn darts with my digger.
11. Have a smoke (I've since quit though!)
12. Heave a sigh because the Happy Dance will once more be NOT taking place.
12. Resume hunting.

I do save the play money that I find (I really don't know why). Maybe it's so I can re-seed them somewhere along with my Large Cent-sized copper slugs that I engraved with: "SgtSki in MI was here" with the year on it. I make a bunch of them each season at work and I'm still waiting for someone to find one. I know that one can be found in each of the following spots: Shelbyville, IL; Mattoon, IL: Charleston, IL; Pana, IL; Fairgrounds Park, Forest Park, and Carondelet Park in STL. I put them at about 6" deep or so.

.......Maybe I think up a prize to offer if anyone ever posts one on here!!

Cool Finds and HH!!!!
-SgtSki

Cool idea with burying the SGTSKI copper slugs! What a neat thing to find for someone. I haven't found a lot of the play money yet, so I wasn't aggravated. I did, however, think for a second that I had a half dime, so I could see if you dug a few, you might hate them. Happy Hunting bro.

BB

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Number one my Accord has NO sunroof! Has anyone else figured out how jealous BB is of my hair? It's the only good thing I got going for me, or at least I have been told so by a few younger girls I have hit on, went something like this, "Hello can I buy you a drink?" (hot girl) "No thanks" ME "Ok why not what's so wrong with me?" "Isn't there anything good about me?" (hot girl) "Yeah you have nice hair"

Oh wait this was supposed to be about detecting sorry..........

I don't know why BB is so upset he is the one the tailgates so close you could count every nose hair (the only place he has visible hair) I drove the speed limit and obeyed every posted law! Mr REKLSS on his plates this week!!!

We had a great hunt and found some great stuff! We have 6 more new places lined up and maybe one or two that I am working on getting permission to hunt.

No this was no where near fort D. You can't hunt Fort D without going to jail, and the houses around the place are not available for hunting because SOOOOOOO many people have hunted in the past and the home owners won't say yes...

Too bad because it might prove productive.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread