1722 ROSA AMERICANA Penny(Site Pics Added)

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My hunt today was going to be a 4 mile loop looking for a new homestead I suspect is there but once I got to my parking spot, I did not feel like a hiker today and went to Plan B, which was to walk down an old road about two blocks to where I got a KGII and KGIII copper back in 2001.

Back then I got those two coins on the road itself and would have loved to hunt the area adjoining the road, but it was severely overgrown with Green briars that you could not even walk through it, yet alone detect. I had quietly wished for a forest fire there and lo and behold, I got my wish. As I got the the area there was a fresh burn and right where I got the two coins was a nice three foot wide freshly dug fire ditch going thru the area.

I walked the ditch and it was full of very old disposed clam shells, a sure sign of an old homestead when in such numbers. But, after a half hour of looking, I found no definite site of habitation. No buttons, thimbles, or even iron objects, just some iron hits but nothing diggable. :(

As I was walking back to the road, sweeping the sides of the fire ditch with my XS, I got a nice copper reading in the side of the ditch. It quite did not sound like a copper coin and I was right, a bit disappointed but then when I saw that it was an almost complete knee buckle, I was rather happy then. They are not found that complete and in working order too often, so it was a great relic find for the day.

A few feet from where I dug the buckle I got a lower tone and lower reading on the Smart Screen of the XS, no way it could be a coin, wow, was I wrong.

When I first picked up the round disc I thought for sure it was a large diameter button. I looked for signs of a shank and then saw the design and lettering. :) As it dried out a bit, the bust of King George appeared, so I knew now I had a coin! With that I called it a morning and headed back to my truck.

I called my son Dan, who was at the airport waiting for his plane to arrive to go to Florida (LOL, he is missing the warm weather here) and as soon as I described the coin, he said "ROSA AMERICANA" He went on to say they are usually 1722 or 1723, he found one back in 1997, that was in rather bad shape.

The reason for the low tone and reading is that the Rosa Americana is only 75% copper and the rest is basically ZINC! Zinc never does well in the ground.

The Rosa Americana coins depict King George I on the obverse with the Tudor rose on the reverse.

So I only got a few items today but one great relic and a old coin that I had not previously found that type before, so a good hunt it was.

Don

Attachments

• Knee buckleBefAft2.jpg
    Knee buckleBefAft2.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 1,210
  • 1722 Rosa Americana Penny2.jpg
    1722 Rosa Americana Penny2.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 1,231
  • Rose.jpg
    Rose.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 1,194
  • CrosshairLocatin.jpg
    CrosshairLocatin.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 1,209
Upvote 0

chrisplay2004

Feb 28, 2008
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 with 4" & 8" Coil, and F-Point Pinpointer, Whites Eagle II, Bounty Hunter Fortune Hunter, Modified VLF WaterDetector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1722 ROSA AMERICANA Penny

WOW! Good day to not feel like hiking..
Great find

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome finds Don! Buckle is nice, probably broken off the knee and that Rosa Americana is in great condition considering it has Zinc in it. A Zinc coin here in Germany hasn't got a chance, I find many from the late 1800s through the WWII era and if you can read a date when it come out of the ground, I am lucky as I will never see it again, LOL. HH, Mike

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70

WOW! Killer finds!
Baggins

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils

Very cool, unique, coin find you have there, Don!!

I think $5 gold coins ID around that area of the smart screen also!!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

mercenary

Oct 4, 2006
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 2200

I usually bite my tongue on this one, but I gotta know...
WHERE IN SOUTH JERSEY DO YOU HUNT?
I'm getting frustrated over here!
Greats finds, as always.

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

Don, once again, you rock in a metal detecting sense. :D You are going to hit 20 coppas this year.

Kyle

P.S. Would you happen to know the VDI number of the coin?

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006

Wow ,super finds!That coin is in really good shape for being part zinc.

woj

Jun 29, 2005
En Jay
Detector(s) used
DFX

Took some pics from the sky yesterday Don.....although there were quite a few controlled burns going on yesterday all over SJ, I thought this one might have been your lucky burn?? Our state is quite small from 3000 feet.

A very nice find...you continue to give me hope that there are still good targets out there.

fiya.jpg

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL

Don,

You are my hero! :-* :D ;D

What was the Very Dumb Indicator number? :P ;) :D

Keep the passion high!

Kirk

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari with SEF 8x6; coming soon: FORS Gold+

Don, that is a WONDERFUL coin! I doubt we will ever see something like that dug up here in Californeeyay. And though I'm not so much of a relic man, I can appreciate the cool buckle you found. I think you've located for yourself a sweet little spot there in Joisey. Keep 'em coming!

Ray

Southern_Boy

Feb 2, 2007
New York State..Vestal, NY
Detector(s) used
Fischer CZ-3D

Wow..way cool finds there and I loved the information on ROSA AMERICANA coin. I love how I can learn so much history from everyone at this site.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey, that is not half bad for a Rosa! Most of the ones for sale on ebay look worse. Great find.

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

The Best American Coin Find I have every seen for it's age and quality!

You are the man. ;)

HH

PTP

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Another nice find ..........Great job as always! HH

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

Two beautiful finds! You were smart to keep searching after such a disappointing begining! The buckle is in wonderful shape and the coin...WOW

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread