1722 ROSA AMERICANA Penny(Site Pics Added)

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My hunt today was going to be a 4 mile loop looking for a new homestead I suspect is there but once I got to my parking spot, I did not feel like a hiker today and went to Plan B, which was to walk down an old road about two blocks to where I got a KGII and KGIII copper back in 2001.

Back then I got those two coins on the road itself and would have loved to hunt the area adjoining the road, but it was severely overgrown with Green briars that you could not even walk through it, yet alone detect. I had quietly wished for a forest fire there and lo and behold, I got my wish. As I got the the area there was a fresh burn and right where I got the two coins was a nice three foot wide freshly dug fire ditch going thru the area.

I walked the ditch and it was full of very old disposed clam shells, a sure sign of an old homestead when in such numbers. But, after a half hour of looking, I found no definite site of habitation. No buttons, thimbles, or even iron objects, just some iron hits but nothing diggable. :(

As I was walking back to the road, sweeping the sides of the fire ditch with my XS, I got a nice copper reading in the side of the ditch. It quite did not sound like a copper coin and I was right, a bit disappointed but then when I saw that it was an almost complete knee buckle, I was rather happy then. They are not found that complete and in working order too often, so it was a great relic find for the day.

A few feet from where I dug the buckle I got a lower tone and lower reading on the Smart Screen of the XS, no way it could be a coin, wow, was I wrong.

When I first picked up the round disc I thought for sure it was a large diameter button. I looked for signs of a shank and then saw the design and lettering. :) As it dried out a bit, the bust of King George appeared, so I knew now I had a coin! With that I called it a morning and headed back to my truck.

I called my son Dan, who was at the airport waiting for his plane to arrive to go to Florida (LOL, he is missing the warm weather here) and as soon as I described the coin, he said "ROSA AMERICANA" He went on to say they are usually 1722 or 1723, he found one back in 1997, that was in rather bad shape.

The reason for the low tone and reading is that the Rosa Americana is only 75% copper and the rest is basically ZINC! Zinc never does well in the ground.

The Rosa Americana coins depict King George I on the obverse with the Tudor rose on the reverse.

So I only got a few items today but one great relic and a old coin that I had not previously found that type before, so a good hunt it was.

Don

Attachments

• Knee buckleBefAft2.jpg
    Knee buckleBefAft2.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 1,210
  • 1722 Rosa Americana Penny2.jpg
    1722 Rosa Americana Penny2.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 1,231
  • Rose.jpg
    Rose.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 1,194
  • CrosshairLocatin.jpg
    CrosshairLocatin.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 1,209
Upvote 0

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Re: 1722 ROSA AMERICANA Penny

That knee buckle is wonderful, but....the Rosa beats it hands down. You are on a roll Don! Bet you son wishes he was there with you instead of waiting for a plane :D.

Your off to a great March, keep at it!

TN-Joe

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
Tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA500

Don! Don! Don!
WOW what more can I say?
Awesome!
Tennessee Joe

dgaughan

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2004
east northport ny
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 5 Garrett ace 350

amazing don both cleaned up beautifully that was some kind soil the coin was in congrats and continued good luck

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I went back to the Rosa American site this morning and did a good sweep of the fire ditch again and got a nice Tombac button from the ditch, but I came up with no diggable targets around the cellarhole depressions or in the general area, which kind of miffs me. If I can get 3 Colonial coppers (2 on the road in 2001) and the breech buckle and Tombac button in the fire ditch, there should be artifacts elsewhere.

I highly suspect that thick big patch of greenbriar is hiding a few relics but it is almost impossible to walk thru the area, yet alone swing the detector.

The tombac I got this morning, cleaned up nicely with a hot peroxide bath, and some TLC with cotton swabs. :) I believe this site was occupied for probably less than a generation and all in the 1700's. The fire ditch is full of clam shells and also pieces of ceramic pottery.

Attachments

• homestead.jpg
    homestead.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 393
  • Clamshell fragments.jpg
    Clamshell fragments.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 389
  • TombacBefAft.jpg
    TombacBefAft.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 390
  • Briar Patch.jpg
    Briar Patch.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 390
  • Fire Ditch.jpg
    Fire Ditch.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 374

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don,
Great finds. Keep the posts coming.

Thanks for the post and as always the education.

NJ

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Sweet digs Don !! :o

As for the thick briars -Gas is cheap in NJ compared to everywhere else so 5 gal's and a match :P

D. ;D

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's some awful stuff. Those briars! I hate having to negotiate through them--although those look impassable. Some varieties of briarseem like they come up in the same spots from year to year. I've even gone so far as to take a sickle into the woods with me and chop them down. Exhausting, but it can be worth it.

Keep up the good work, Don.

-Buckleboy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread