Discouraged TNetter...but heres some given to me.

ashleysflyr

Jan 2, 2008
Missouri
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S MXT (and man is she hot!)
Discouraged TNetter...but here's some given to me.

Well fellow T Netters,
It's been a long day. I got up this morning and went for my regular run. The weather was amazing. I was excited because it has been few and far between nice days, and I haven't gotten to hunt a whole day yet. I figured...today is my day! So I went to the 1880's farmhouse to "clean" some iron out from the front yard. Usually when I "clean" a sight (including this one) I find some cool stuff (buckles, horse shoes, etc...) NOT today. Nothing worthwhile. Some .22 shells, a few .223, a square head, and a million little iron whatzits and nails. I am not even going to mention the pull tabs. The ladies cleaning the cans out of the trash dump 100 yards away made $90 today, I found one post 1982 zinc penny. That's discouraging. Anyway, I don't want to bring you all down with me, but you are TNet family...so I am venting to family...It got so bad today that I left the farmhouse and went to a city park to pull clad! To make things worse, some recent high school grads thought they would pick fun of the kid with the metal detector (that is, until I took the hoody off that makes me look 12, lost he ball cap, and pulled out my 12" long, serrated blade to cut a plug). That's what kind of day I had...In 7 hours of hunting I found $0.57 in clad...and that's it.
OKay, that's enough whining for now. Tomorrow is another day, and I will be visiting a house built in mid to late 1800's and last occupied in 1995. Got a lot of history there. The farm comes right up to the back door. Might even go to the little ghost town up the road a ways...We shall see...
So, I decided to post these 6 coins, the I found the 1899 Indian Head in my front yard my first real day of hunting. The rest were given to me by my mother after I got my MD. She found them in the register at work...Thanks for looking folks, and for the encouragement. Here they are...

1899 IH 1902 IH 1937 D Merc 1942 D Merc 1942 Merc and a 1936 D Buff (just one year off)
coins obverse.jpg
coins reverse.jpg

You are all great...thanks!
P.S. Looks like that 42 merc on the right got decked by one of you fellas that found it :P

~Tom

Upvote 0

wyattrr

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2008
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Discouraged TNetter...but here's some given to me.

It's hard to believe what ends up in a register at the end of a shift...The Coins are to see...Nice Scores...HH

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

Do you go fishing to catch fish or to go fishing... ?? :P

I don't feel sorry for you. 8)

But the coins from Mom are awesome! LMAO :)

OP
OP
ashleysflyr

ashleysflyr

Jan 2, 2008
Missouri
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S MXT (and man is she hot!)

Montana Jim said:

Nope, I go fishin' to drink beer, and enjoy the company of friends..lol, however, it's hard to MD after/while drinking, and my friends hate the beeping sounds :tard:...LMAO Thanks for the encouragement...lol

~Tom

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

ashleysflyr said:
Montana Jim said:

Nope, I go fishin' to drink beer, and enjoy the company of friends..lol, however, it's hard to MD after/while drinking, and my friends hate the beeping sounds :tard:...LMAO Thanks for the encouragement...lol

~Tom

Hahaha... :) Hey, I guess I was reacting to the fact that you got to hunt for 7 hours!! :) And thats nuthing to complain about! LOL

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil

Tom,
We all have bad days, both with people around us and also just in general. Each day holds promise though. :icon_sunny: We all hunt for the thrill of the keepers; somedays we have them in abundance, other days very little, if any. I think you would agree that we all hunt for ourselves and the thrill involved in preserving and finding an old treasure. Keep on detecting and I will guarentee you will find many fantastic things. By the law of averages, if nothing else. (Especially digging iron signals too!)

Nothing sucks more than being made fun of. Don't let the misplaced exuberance :icon_jokercolor: of a bunch of kids make any statement about you or this hobby. The fact that you derive satisfaction in a responsible and positive way speaks volumes for you and this sport. We are all a big close family on T-net and you are part of it. Stay cool, keep detecting and be true to yourself. The opinions of other matter very little if you believe in yourself and maintain your values. 8) Chin up bud! :thumbsup:

Tom
Baldingboy

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library

hang in there Ash, no RPGs coming at ya. like the part of the hoods and yours comng off with your digging tool. lol

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

hunting is called that for a reason just like fishing is not called catching . -- it the sour moments that make the sweet ones seem that much better.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

drink less research more

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger

Love them Indians, dug or given. My bingo partner gave me a nice '0-something one, and it lives with the 4 or so I've dug.
Check old plat maps for 1800's - 1920's schoolhouses. There should have been one about every couple of miles. Plus Grange Halls, Township Halls, stuff like that. You'll start hitting da stuff.
Don't take that H&K or whatever it is to fend off kibitzers. You'll attract unwanted ATF att'n. But you might hang a machete from your belt for those tall weeds and twigs.

Baldingboy, I don't know why you're using the "...I'm not here" routine. Looks like your wife is a cute 'un, or is that a pic of Nicole Kidman that you grafted into your Grant Wood thing? Any more like her "to home", not-spoke-for?

Good luck to you Missourians. It has taken me 38 years to get over the trauma / stigma of 'living' on Ft. Leonard Wood. If I ever come back there, I'll still prob. avoid Waynesville.. still barred from Jodie's Cafe, far as I know.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

AF,
Sorry to hear about the disappointing day. I have them too sometimes, and just don't post them. That way when I do post, people think I'm scoring ALL the time. LOL. :o :)
I know what you mean about getting your hopes up on an old house. I have permission to MD an old plantation here, and have tried it numerous times. There is soooooooo much trash that I don't even go there anymore. I have pulled a Buff nickel and a U.S. collar button from there, but it was work. I'd be there a lifetime trying to clear the junk out. I decided to move on to another spot.
Good luck on your new spot and keep your chin up Buddy. You'll score soon enough.
-MM-
P.S. Very nice coins you posted!!!

NewbieTR

Dec 31, 2007
Memphis
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Quick Draw II

I've felt the same way almost everytime I've hunted. I might add that it's only been 4 or 5 since I got my BH 505 (yep, we hunt with the same machine). It didn't help that one of the switches on the 505 flaked out on me on my first "serious" hunt. Bounty Hunter came through and sent me the switch no charge. It's fixed and I'm ready to go again.

Ok, enough about my past problems. Here's some encouragement: I found a "whatisit" on that day of my first serious hunt before the switch went South. I confirmed just today that my "whatisit" is a "drag" from an officer's sword! Yep, found one just like it for sale on www.civilwaroutpost.com for $95. I'll post pics when I can.

Don't get discouraged. Like someone else said on this thread, do it for your own enjoyment and don't let others influence your enjoyment.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

EDDE said:
drink less research more
Yeah....You can alway's slam a couple down after you've posted your find's 8) I'd stick with the 1800's site and just concentrate,dig the trash then cash in....it's bound to happen. I'm on-call once a month and can't hit the farm's and old place's I want to so I opt for the school's sometime's....no CW relic's there but at least I got out... Take the 57 cent's and run.It's all good....HH!!

Hemisteve

Feb 21, 2008
N. Nevada
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey, there is always tomorrow. At least you got out!
I am having a mini blizzard right now.

Come on spring!

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX

l have bad days... I usually even post pics of them! :D But a couple things.... People making comments I pretend I cannot hear by wearing headphones...as long as they do not approach and bother you ignore... The part about going to a park to dig clad...had a very negative tone to it! :-\ I dig mainly clad...but with hard work it added up to over $750 last year... Remember when you go to a park...like any other area...you never know what you will find...

As others stated we all go through this and I never feel sorry for myself... I get my butt out again the next day and dig more holes! Good luck you must approach with a more positive attitude...you seem to be following the path alot of us had when we were younger... We bought a detector...became frustrated...then stopped detecting...20 years later bam! The bug bites again..but this time, maturity...patience...and being able to handle insults with a grain of salt helps.. :wink: Be a little more positive and stick with it...oh I found over 50 pieces of jewelry in those "parks" you were talking about last year...some are worth quite a bit...good luck stick with it... :icon_sunny:

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Been there myself! I remember one day when I decided to hunt the Alternative School Yard. Didn't realize that was what it was but the clientel decided to come back by that evening and shoot some hoops. Not the nicest kids on the block. They were just about to take advantage of the old geezer with the metal detector when I slid my coat back to reveal my badge and concealed 9mm. They decided that basketball was probably less of a challenge that dealing with Mr. Smith and went back to their game. Some days it is good to be King!

Hang in there! Those days happen. It is tougher when you hit a streak of them. Done that one too.

Good Luck!

Jim

coinsearcher

Feb 27, 2008
Central, CA.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro W/ SunRay probe
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You got some coins from somebody else! So what are you whining about? sounds like it wasn't that bad of a day. I think we all have had those days. I went out Thursday and found a penny and 2 pulltabs! Try and beat that! LOL
Brian

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT

Nice lot of coinzz!!! Almost a full horn on the Buffalo :happy3:

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Tesoro, Whites DFX, Nokta Impact Pro, Ace 400.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have many days like that but I keep hunting and just as I get ready to quit
Bammmm

Another nice find.

If they were all great finds what fun would it be.

I have had days where nothing but clad
and I have had days where I hunted all day only to find 2000 pull tabs and a 1997 penny half rotten.
LOL

Keep hunting

your no longer a hunter but a finder by the way

Look at it asa finder not a hunter

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread