bluberry barren foundation, My FIRST large cent!! Liberty, braided hair cent!!

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had to work out of town this week, downeast ! Bluberry country. I knew I would be busy working, but I did hope I could sneak a few hours of free time 2 do what I wanted. It just so happened that a friend of my dad owns blueberry barrens down there, with some old stone foundations on the property. We hunted and dug the old dump for bottles and large relics years ago. Never with a M. D. before. First hour I hunted the suspected drive and parking area close 2 the foundation. After 25 or so spent brass casing digs with some large Iron targets mixed in i.e.--oxen shoe, stove pieces ect. I decided to check close to the foundation 43 wheatie, and a 61 canadian george 1 cent. It was already starting to get dark, slowly started working my way back 2 truck came right thru drive area where I got all the spent casings. Got a signal that I knew was different right away! 6 ins. down and out poped a large coin. Even though I had never found 1 I knew I had my first large cent. I also knew it was badly worn and coroided. It's hard 2 believe what our high acid ground does 2 copper here in maine! Particulary in the barrens, Hence the name, the ground is so acidtic only blueberries will grow there ! I did manage 2 identify the coin after I got home and cleaned it up a bit. Liberty braided hair cent 1839-1857. The last large cent to be Issued. I can not get a clear date from it . I can only make out a 5 with a mag glass in the location where it would make it a 185? So I do not consider it my oldest coin!! Honers still go 2 the 1853 silver 3 cent piece, or trime I found 2 weeks ago! Here it is with all it's acid striped glory! I am HAPPY with it!!

Attachments

• 1 st large cent 1853 (2).jpg
    1 st large cent 1853 (2).jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 547
  • 1 st large cent 1853 back.jpg
    1 st large cent 1853 back.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 542
Upvote 0

incajoe

May 17, 2007
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Re: bluberry barren foundation, My FIRST large cent!! Liberty, braided hair ce

Any large cent is a good large cent. Congratulations!

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Congrats on your first LC WTG sealouse :thumbsup:

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
You actually found a Coronet cent (1816-1839), not a Braided Hair. :thumbsup: This recovery makes it your oldest find now. :thumbsup:

Kyle

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats Sealouse & welcome to the Lg Cent club :thumbsup: :icon_king:

Great feeling digging up such a AWESOME coin isnt it !! :icon_cheers:
By the way...Lg Cent club dues are either 1 spanish reale or a gold ring...send to me and I'll send you your Lg Cent club Tee shirt :hello2:

Congradulations & HH !!

Derek :icon_biggrin:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Large Cent, I fully understand about the soil conditions of barrens, since NJ has a huge expanse of Pine Barrens and our soil is really acidic. However, since it is sandy, if the coins are in well drain soil, they come out with almost no corrosion, but find one in a low area and they look like yours.

As far as the type of Large Cent, I find it interesting that Red Book now lists the Coronet Type Large Cents 1816-1857 as Liberty Head, I for one will never use that term, they will always be Coronet type to me, much easier to distinguish from the early year name of Liberty Cap!

Of course you could break the type down further to Matron Head, Matron Head Modified, Young Head or Braided Hair but I just prefer to group all the them as Coronet Type...... Seems like the names are changing lately and much easier to stay with Coronet Type, since the front design is basically the same for the entire 1816-1857 era.

I guess some power to be like the name Liberty Head, the Redbook I have from 2005, uses Coronet Type (and all previous books) and not Liberty Head, but the 2007 one uses Liberty Head. Go figure.

Don

JimBeHuntin'

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2007
Down East North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (As of 10/2011)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratz on your first large cent ... its a great feeling to hold those old coppers in your hand after so many years of being hidden away ... good job ~ Jimmy

Fishstank

Sep 18, 2007
3rd Gen. Arizona Native
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Ace 250, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Great job. But I'm notorious for sneeking out of work a couple of minutes early. Screw the boss! LOL

Great Finds.

Fishstank

Johnny Ringo Silver

Dec 6, 2007
KANSAS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE and Sunray probe

Sending a big ATA-BOY your way on the first LC. I have never dug one of those YET!! I know its only a matter of time before I do though! Good job. 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread