Road tripped to St. Louis to hit some parks. Found a SWEET Barber quarter and...

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some other goodies. Met up with t-bucket...Camb1...Holedigger...and took Niterider_58 along with me. We all had a blast
We started out at Creve Coeur State park where we met up with my detecting club...Midwest Coinshooters..and hunted there for an hour or so. I did find a silver roosey and a wheatie...but wanted to go to a spot that I had some confidence in to find some older stuff. Phil and I had decided on the way that if we didn't find much at Creve Coeur...we were going to hit one of the St. Louis parks that we tried at the Seminar/hunt last year. Holedigger (Dennis) thought he needed to go home to mow the yard..but I promptly explained to him that the yard could wait. Didn't have to twist his arm too much...cause' before long his response was..."I guess I could mow it later" :thumbsup:
Anyway...6 of us ventured out on our own and headed to the park. I had found my first and only capped bust dime at this park last year when I met Holedigger (Dennis) there. The very first hit I got there was the SWEET 1912 Barber Quarter in great condition...probably the nicest barber I've ever dug. :headbang: It gave a goofy signal because there was an injun about 2" deeper in the hole below the barber. Obviously the SE gave me a good enough signal to investigate ...which I'm glad I did. ;D
I will have to admit...I dug a lot of crap...tons of crap...but at a pounded site I feel I need to dig very iffy signals that have even the slightest chance of being a "deepie" keeper. I plugged along and popped out a merc...then got a "jumper"signal ...left to right on the screen along the top...but it sounded sweet. I dug and dug and the signal disappeared..but then when I gave up and covered the hole...the signal came back. I just about walked away..but I REdug the hole again and finally popped out a piece of wire. However when I ran the probe in the hole...I got a sweet hit at the bottom side of the hole now. Well...out popped the 1912 Barber dime Sure am glad I didn't give up on it! :icon_sunny:
Plugged along until my skin turned bright red from the sun...and I do mean BRIGHT...and found a few more wheaties and another silver roosey. Also got a very ornate and heavy silver ring with nice marquise garnet stones in it. All in all a GREAT day with friends. :hello2: I ended up with 12 wheaties...2 silver roosey's...a barber dime...a merc...the silver ring...an injun...and the nicest barber quarter I've ever found. :hello2:

Attachments

• quarterfront.jpg
    quarterfront.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 986
  • quarterback.jpg
    quarterback.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 986
  • coins46.jpg
    coins46.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 988
  • ringred.jpg
    ringred.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 989
  • crap.jpg
    crap.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 995
Upvote 0

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Wow, Bryce, you did awesome, buddy!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Fantastic road trip. What a productive day for you!! I'll bet that Barb. Quarter really got your heart pumping. And that silver ring looks really cool. Looks like an older style.
Congrats on all your finds.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

PS - those bouncy left-right signals on the top of the screen usually signal a good target next to iron. The SE is just killer in its ability to find good targets next to trash.

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bryce man - you rock !!!!!

you got two of my favorite coins in ONE TRIP !! love them barbers
believe it or not, i still have NEVER found a barber dime !!?? at this point it's become a joke everytime i dig a dime now

great finds buddy
take care

kevin

wyattrr

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2008
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As always, Great scores on the Silver. Nice amount on the Wheaties... Congrats on the Coinage and Ring...At least you got some Sun...HH

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Captn_SE said:
Wow, Bryce, you did awesome, buddy!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Fantastic road trip. What a productive day for you!! I'll bet that Barb. Quarter really got your heart pumping. And that silver ring looks really cool. Looks like an older style.
Congrats on all your finds.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

PS - those bouncy left-right signals on the top of the screen usually signal a good target next to iron. The SE is just killer in its ability to find good targets next to trash.
Thanks Dan. I wish gas wasn't so ridiculous...otherwise I would head that way once a month or so. It was nice to have a hunting buddy along with me for the ride...then meet a bunch more when we got there.
I tried to get Les (diggerforoforo) to meet me there...but he had some other things going on.

ziphius

Oct 17, 2007
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab E-Trac, Whites Surf PI Dual Field
Re: Road tripped to St. Louis to hit some parks. Found a SWEET Barber quarter an

silverfreak, your posts are among the most enjoyable here because of the insights you give on the detection and 'decision to dig' process. I always learn something. Great barbers by the way! Dig 'em all - let God sort 'em out! - Jim

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My goodness, what a road trip, Silver! :o I may have to take a road trip to MO and hunt with you guys! 8)

That Barber is AWESOME! I got a trio of Barber's this weekend, but I didn't dig 'em! I won 'em! :D

Fantastic hunt! Congrats! Nana :wink:

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vpone said:
bryce man - you rock !!!!!

you got two of my favorite coins in ONE TRIP !! love them barbers
believe it or not, i still have NEVER found a barber dime !!?? at this point it's become a joke everytime i dig a dime now

great finds buddy
take care

kevin
Thanks Hoss. You will definately find a Barber soon. I can feel it :thumbsup:
I know the fealing about a certain coin avoiding you. I did not find a single seated dime last year. I found a capped bust dime...and TWO half dimes...but the seated eluded me. It still annoys me to no end ;D
Good luck on your next hunt bro.

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wyattrr said:
As always, Great scores on the Silver. Nice amount on the Wheaties... Congrats on the Coinage and Ring...At least you got some Sun...HH
Thanks wyattrr. I got way too much sun :icon_sunny:...I'm hurtin' right now.

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Re: Road tripped to St. Louis to hit some parks. Found a SWEET Barber quarter an

Very Sweet. Great finds. Two Barbers in one hunt is awesome. Also, that's my type of hunt - park hunting with friends and good finds!

Yes, those parks have lot's of trash but trash masks treasure which means it's still there.

Bob

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WTG Bryce :thumbsup:

I'm going to have to try some of those old STL parks..that quarter looks like it was minted yesterday..and the dimes aint bad either! VERY NICE!!

Nat

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SF,
Great hunt!!! Congrats on the Barbers. :thumbsup: I still haven't found a Barber quarter yet. :'(
Very nice finds for sure. Well worth the sunburn. :wink:
What year is that IH? (my eyes are bloodshot ;D )
Congrats,
MM

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW sweet finds silverfreak :thumbsup: I think i'll dig more of those iffy signals now :o congrats :wink:

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, silver, show us that ring up close--\wow what a hunt/trip. Better than banana snot anytime.

SKD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread