Road tripped to St. Louis to hit some parks. Found a SWEET Barber quarter and...

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some other goodies. Met up with t-bucket...Camb1...Holedigger...and took Niterider_58 along with me. We all had a blast
We started out at Creve Coeur State park where we met up with my detecting club...Midwest Coinshooters..and hunted there for an hour or so. I did find a silver roosey and a wheatie...but wanted to go to a spot that I had some confidence in to find some older stuff. Phil and I had decided on the way that if we didn't find much at Creve Coeur...we were going to hit one of the St. Louis parks that we tried at the Seminar/hunt last year. Holedigger (Dennis) thought he needed to go home to mow the yard..but I promptly explained to him that the yard could wait. Didn't have to twist his arm too much...cause' before long his response was..."I guess I could mow it later" :thumbsup:
Anyway...6 of us ventured out on our own and headed to the park. I had found my first and only capped bust dime at this park last year when I met Holedigger (Dennis) there. The very first hit I got there was the SWEET 1912 Barber Quarter in great condition...probably the nicest barber I've ever dug. :headbang: It gave a goofy signal because there was an injun about 2" deeper in the hole below the barber. Obviously the SE gave me a good enough signal to investigate ...which I'm glad I did. ;D
I will have to admit...I dug a lot of crap...tons of crap...but at a pounded site I feel I need to dig very iffy signals that have even the slightest chance of being a "deepie" keeper. I plugged along and popped out a merc...then got a "jumper"signal ...left to right on the screen along the top...but it sounded sweet. I dug and dug and the signal disappeared..but then when I gave up and covered the hole...the signal came back. I just about walked away..but I REdug the hole again and finally popped out a piece of wire. However when I ran the probe in the hole...I got a sweet hit at the bottom side of the hole now. Well...out popped the 1912 Barber dime Sure am glad I didn't give up on it! :icon_sunny:
Plugged along until my skin turned bright red from the sun...and I do mean BRIGHT...and found a few more wheaties and another silver roosey. Also got a very ornate and heavy silver ring with nice marquise garnet stones in it. All in all a GREAT day with friends. :hello2: I ended up with 12 wheaties...2 silver roosey's...a barber dime...a merc...the silver ring...an injun...and the nicest barber quarter I've ever found. :hello2:

Attachments

• quarterfront.jpg
    quarterfront.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 986
  • quarterback.jpg
    quarterback.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 986
  • coins46.jpg
    coins46.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 988
  • ringred.jpg
    ringred.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 989
  • crap.jpg
    crap.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 995
Upvote 0
OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Road tripped to St. Louis to hit some parks. Found a SWEET Barber quarter an

ziphius said:
silverfreak, your posts are among the most enjoyable here because of the insights you give on the detection and 'decision to dig' process. I always learn something. Great barbers by the way! Dig 'em all - let God sort 'em out! - Jim
Thanks Jim. I appreciate your compliment. Good luckon your next hunt.

t-bucket

Bronze Member
Oct 7, 2007
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
e-track- Explorer SE explorer 2 -
Bryce,The coins cleaned up nice !!!!!!! That ring is awesome.The ring has to be old it dont fit in with the park now HA HA !! Had a good time and hope we can do it again soon before it gets to hot.Congrats and good luck on your next hunt. :icon_sunny: :thumbsup:

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nana40 said:
My goodness, what a road trip, Silver! :o I may have to take a road trip to MO and hunt with you guys! 8)

That Barber is AWESOME! I got a trio of Barber's this weekend, but I didn't dig 'em! I won 'em! :D

Fantastic hunt! Congrats! Nana :wink:
Thanks Nana. It was a great time...it's just too bad gas prices don't allow us to do it more often. :-\

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Road tripped to St. Louis to hit some parks. Found a SWEET Barber quarter an

Mirage said:
Very Sweet. Great finds. Two Barbers in one hunt is awesome. Also, that's my type of hunt - park hunting with friends and good finds!

Yes, those parks have lot's of trash but trash masks treasure which means it's still there.

Bob
Thanks Bob. Hunting with friends makes it so much more enjoyable. If gas wasn't so ridiculous...I'd like to do it more often.

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Natman said:
WTG Bryce :thumbsup:

I'm going to have to try some of those old STL parks..that quarter looks like it was minted yesterday..and the dimes aint bad either! VERY NICE!!

Nat
Thanks Nat. The quarter is the nicest I've ever found. Good luck on your next hunt.

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ModernMiner said:
SF,
Great hunt!!! Congrats on the Barbers. :thumbsup: I still haven't found a Barber quarter yet. :'(
Very nice finds for sure. Well worth the sunburn. :wink:
What year is that IH? (my eyes are bloodshot ;D )
Congrats,
MM
thanks MM. The injun is a 1901. With the amazing things you've been popping out of the ground...I'm sure you'll find a barber soon. As for the sunburn...right now I can barely type ;D

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
weasel606 said:
WOW sweet finds silverfreak :thumbsup: I think i'll dig more of those iffy signals now :o congrats :wink:
Thanks Weasel..

WTG Bryce, I can't get out here. Been busy with work and odd jobs. Great finds.
JDD
Thanks JDD.

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SoreKneesDayton said:
Hey, silver, show us that ring up close--\wow what a hunt/trip. Better than banana snot anytime.

SKD
Thanks SKD. I did the best I could with the ring scan...sorry.

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
t-bucket said:
Bryce,The coins cleaned up nice !!!!!!! That ring is awesome.The ring has to be old it dont fit in with the park now HA HA !! Had a good time and hope we can do it again soon before it gets to hot.Congrats and good luck on your next hunt. :icon_sunny: :thumbsup:
Thanks G. Maybe we can squeeze one more hunt in before the hot weather hits :thumbsup:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bryce , I would call that a dream day ! If i had only found the merc , i'd be very happy. When you toss

in the barbers , the rosies , the RING , and the wheats , that's just outrageous ! You are really rolling ,

continued success ! I dream of a day like yours . Gregory, Santa Fe.

camb1

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2006
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000 & Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WTG Bryce. Like G said they really cleaned up nice. I hope your able to get out with us again this year. Take Care Buddy.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice finds SF,

That barber is a nice one

HH Jer

P

Pentico

Sweet silver! That Barber looks like it came out of a mint roll!
I am still looking for my first barber!
Maybe I should road trip with you guys! hummmm :sign13:
Great doy and all way enjoy reading your post.
D Nugget

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread