updated question! Rolled, tumbled & sent to the bank: Ca-Ching $209.00

Iskuli

Jun 17, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites-DSL
updated question! Rolled, tumbled & sent to the bank: Ca-Ching $209.00

No hunting stories lately...too busy with work, family and the weather is NOT cooperating with me. So....I decided to clean all of my coins from last year's coin filled coffee cans. Woo-Hoo! After all is said and done, $209.00, not including my penny jars.

I am also at a point that I want to sell my gold that doesn't fit me, or that I don't want to give as gifts. Having coffee cans worth of rings and jewelry under the kitchen cabinet makes no sense to me. So....any advice? Do I sell to refineries or pawn shops or ??

Thanks for looking and happy hunting!

Attachments

• coins.jpg
    coins.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 998
Upvote 0

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
Re: Rolled, tumbled & sent to the bank: Ca-Ching $209.00

WOW ~ that's a nice hunk of change there! WOOHOOOO!!!

Diggerbarns

Oct 30, 2007

Call around to some local jewelry stores and find out who takes used bling.There is one local here in Pa who will have something made for you from your old gold.OR simply buy it from you..Nice hoard BTW :icon_sunny:

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC

Melt the gold down into bullets for the inevitable zombie apocalypse.
The silver can be made into bullets for Vampires and Werewolves.

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE

Iskuli, if you seel off your jewelry, make SURE you find a place that will also pay you for the stones in any of the pieces. A lot of people seem to overlook that valuable aspect. For instance, I have seen nothing at the "cash4gold" website that says anything about paying for diamonds, and once you sell your rings the diamonds(or other stuff) are pretty much forfeit. If you find a dealer that doesn't buy stones, make sure you pull them out of the pieces, they can be sold later. Your best bet is to find a local dealer/jeweler and just call around for the best price, a good buyer will pay per piece. That way you get maximum money for the 18 & 24k stuff. Then you can go buy some really cool coins !! That's my best advice, good luck.

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great deal !!! good to do something with it. Try your local coin dealer also. I would shop around for the best deal. Alot of coin dealers take jewelry,diamonds, coins, and silver tea sets etc. good luck :)

benc2

Nov 26, 2007
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250, vibra probe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

yea... melt it and make you a ring!!you have earned it!

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice :)

HH

lasttoknow (Tim)

Dec 5, 2005
Spanaway Washington
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac And Whites Quantum Pro

benc2 said:
yea... melt it and make you a ring!!you have earned it!

I agree. You could probably work out a deal for a custom made ring in exchange for some of it. Nice haul by the way.

lockman209

Jun 4, 2005
Chippewa Falls
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle SL II, Whites PRL-1, (3) Whites DFX's, Whites Coinmaster 4G, Whites Silver Eagle, 2010 Whites Coinmaster, Fisher 1212-X, Fisher 1225-X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

very nice haul

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Nice "Gas Money " bonus. Heck, it's only going to Exxon CEO's retirement fund if you buy gas >:(

OP
OP
Iskuli

Iskuli

Jun 17, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites-DSL

Went to a pawn shop today for grins! First they checked to make sure everything was gold. I took 12 gold rings. 10 of them are 10k or 12k. The other two are 14k. Two of the rings have small diamonds (7 of them).

They told me they paid $6/$7 dollars a gram for 10k & $11.00 for 14k. Nothing for the diamonds or other colored stones. The total grams for the first 10 is about 16 grams ($112.00). The 14k was 3.9 grams for $50.00.

I would have walked away with $160.00.....I decided NOT to do it.

I will take a look at a local gold and silver exchange for comparison. I am not in a hurry to sell my stuff. I just want to be educated on how much everything is worth! I think I would rather sell to individuals who actually wan the ring than to whole sell it....

Anyway....can anyone tell me if I was being quoted fairly? What is the BEST to LEAST smartest way to sell my jewelry? I have accumulated quite a bity of gold and silver. thanks

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Re: updated question! Rolled, tumbled & sent to the bank: Ca-Ching $209.00

Don't take your scrap gold to pawn shops or jewerly shops. A friend of mine just sent one, 14K gold ring into Midwest Refineries. They pay 93% spot. She paid .50 cents at a garage sale for it, and Midwest gave her $52. Not bad for one ring.

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Calculate a gold value (so as to not undervalue) and then list on eBaY. With a set of nice photos I bet you can do good. Worth a try, I believe.

Some unique items might surprise you.

Any large diamonds might be worth to have a written appraisal made (Costs about $35 here in Southern California).

Anyways, check out what they have listed on eBay...I know they had detector finds listed also.

HH Joe

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey,

If you can't sell your Gold on Ebay or a Private Auction I would not sell it to a pawn shop. Private Auction you can get top dollar. A Gold and Diamond ring can sell for several hundred dollars even thousands if they are in good shape on private auction or ebay. A pawn shop will give you nothing for the stones and maybe less than melt for the gold. So bottom line is if you can't sell them on auction then Midwest Refineries is your best bet. They may even pay for the stones too.

rsc

Mar 6, 2005
Noth of Houston

1) If you are a "Craft show person" buy a showcase and rent a booth. The Jewelry people always do a big business.
2) Last year at the Texas Council State hunt in Killeen, A vendor said she sold almost a hundred rings at the show. AND THAT WAS TO DETECTORISTS.
3) list on Craigslist. Is free, and you never know.
4) do not even think of pawn shops, they will rip you off BIGTIME.
Hope this helps. HH Gayle in Houston

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread