🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reconstructed 160 year old crock $$$ SOLD! $$$ UPDATED Dec. '08

Hello All,

I usually don't worry about broken stoneware or glass. To me, unless it's whole, it merely indicates that I'm close to the right spot for the real detecting to begin.

Last week when I was out with Rodeo and Bonzaibrandi, we found a few trash pits in the woods. There were some marked stoneware crocks there--all broken. Rodeo got a nice pottery spittoon too--most of it was whole. Anyhow, I collected all of the pieces to a few of these (they weigh a TON!), and decided I would cart the pieces home to try and reconstruct them for fun. After some research, and asking help from a few glass/pottery gurus, I began the reconstruction. This one was my first--and I believe it turned out quite well.

The crock is marked "J.H. Miller" "Brandenburg, KY"

This is a pretty rare stoneware storage jug made by James Miller, originally a potter in Strasburg, in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. He was born in 1814 and moved to Harrison County, Indiana in about 1837, after potting in Strasburg from about 1833-37. After moving to Indiana, he established his pottery just across the Ohio River in Brandenburg, Kentucky, where he operated from c1840-1884.

Pottery 001.jpg

It's pretty fun to put all of the puzzle pieces together--and it is a very slow process to give the glue time to cure overnight after each piece. I also had to assemble it in advance without the glue, and make certain that I wasn't painting myself into a corner on being able to fit the last piece in. Then plan which piece to attach when in sequence so that they all fit.

I have a few more that I'll post in the future once they are glued together. One is a large butter churn, and it'll take Quite a while.

I wanted to post this in "Today's Finds" rather than "Bottles and Glass" so that it would be seen. I'm actually pretty proud of the way it turned out. If this topic is in danger of getting moved, I can also post a photo of a suspender clip, harmonica reeds, and a few other bits we found that day. :P

Treasure takes many forms.

Regards,

Buckleboy

UPDATE #1: I wrote to the auction house to inquire about the value of my reconstructed crock, and received this e-mail in reply:

Thank you for your e-mail. Your Miller crock is a very nice piece
except for its condition. We would still expect it to bring in the $500 to
$800 range. If you would like to consign it, please let us know and we would
be happy to include it in our November auction.

Best Regards,
Tony Zipp

That two dollar bottle of Elmer's Glue was well worth it. :wink: As was hauling all of the heavy pieces out through the woods. I'm still pretty amazed that this value is what it is--and can only think of what it'd be worth if unbroken... :o

Worth MUCH more than any coin I've ever found.
(I'm hooked on glass and stoneware now. :wink: )

UPDATE #2: The crock sold for an amount within the price range indicated above. :thumbsup: So I reinvested a bit of it back in the hobby with a 12 x 10 searchcoil for the uMax. ;D
I know that there were some folks that didn't feel that a "broken crock" belonged on the banner--but I was quite happy as I drove by the bank today. :wink:

Best Wishes and Happy Hunting,

Buckles

Upvote 12

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Reconstructed 120-160 year old crock-UPDATE!-Worth MORE than a Sword Belt Plate!

Will, congrats on your post/find making the Banner :thumbsup: A most deserving honor for the find and the reconstruction.

But, you must broaden your finds, no coins worth more? no buttons? Wow, you need some tutoring :icon_jokercolor:

Hey, all kidding aside, that is a beautiful piece and I think it would be hard for me to sell, but most likely would go the same route you are taking. If you do sell it, I hope you get pleasantly surprised with a higher bid than anticipated.

Don

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Re: Reconstructed 120-160 year old crock-UPDATE!-Worth MORE than a Sword Belt Plate!

I will give you a King George coppa for it. :D ;D

Keep that crockery pot fever high, Buck. :thumbsup:

Kyle

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70

That is awesome!! I personally love to find pieces of crockery, and china and try to reconstruct them...even if they are not worth anything, it is still fun to see what they looked like!
HH and congrats on the banner!
Baggins

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don in SJ said:
Will, congrats on your post/find making the Banner  :thumbsup:   A most deserving honor for the find and the reconstruction.

But, you must broaden your finds, no coins worth more? no buttons?  Wow, you need some tutoring  :icon_jokercolor:

Hey, all kidding aside, that is a beautiful piece and I think it would be hard for me to sell, but most likely would go the same route you are taking. If you do sell it, I hope you get pleasantly surprised with a higher bid than anticipated.

Don

Thanks Don.  I appreciate your comments.  I think we have a duty as MDists to care for the past.  We are stewards of it, perhaps more than anyone else.  I can tell that you think the same way after seeing your photo restoration earlier this year.  

In terms of coin finds, I've been close a few times.  Found a near-mint Seated Dime back in the mid 90's that was very close to the low end of the amount given for the crock.

Yes, I do think that it is a hard piece to sell, but I really think that someone will do a more solid restoration on the item than I could afford to do.  I also believe that someone who specializes in American Stoneware--or perhaps Miller's work--would be happy to have an attractive piece at an affordable price.  

To Zoy--I don't think I'll take you up on that offer of the King George Copper--unless you have a $500 KG that you'd like to trade.   :P

To cavers, I have to say this--It isn't that I'd be selling the piece to the auction house.  They only take 10% of the price of the sold item.  So it is in their best interest to "drum up" this piece, display it attractively, and sell it for as much as they can.  I think this is a win-win situation, and unlike an auction like this that specializes in early American Stoneware, I don't think I'd find the same audience of Serious collectors on eBay or at another auction house.  In terms of asking for private collectors names, I don't think they'd do that for me--and the only difference if the piece sells in the price range they think it will, would be their commission fee (which would in that case be only $50-$80 bucks).  That is a pittance to pay vs. the benefit of having an audience of serious stoneware collectors look at the piece.  Crocker Farm is a family-owned operation, and that makes me feel more at ease as well.  So I think it'll be in good hands.  I feel a little rushed and anxious in selling it--and it IS a tough decision, but I will enjoy it on my shelf as long as I can.  

:)

-Buckles

CarolinaDigs

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
North Carolina
Re: Reconstructed 120-160 year old crock-UPDATE!-Worth MORE than a Sword Belt Pl

BB >> I am very happy to see you made the banner :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: You and your fantastic Miller crock are very worthy indeed :headbang: ;D >>>that little headbanging icon brings out the Kid Rock in me ::)

incajoe

May 17, 2007
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Re: Reconstructed 120-160 year old crock-UPDATE!-Worth MORE than a Sword Belt Pl

Fantastic! Not everyone would have the foresight and patience to reconstruct that crock. I have actually had professional restoration done on a couple pieces of stoneware in the past including one crock that had huge cracks that were open almost 1/4 of an inch and it came back to me looking absolutely perfect with no hint of it ever being damaged. Of course a restored crock isn't worth the same amount as an unrestored piece but they still command good money if they maker or form is rare enough. Obviously your is rare enough since the auction house quoted you a sizable estimate. Good luck with the sale and let us know how it turns out.

PS. I also want to see pictures of the churn when it's done!

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250

Wow, who woulda thought? Good luck on the auction; hope you get a couple gung ho bidders & the price goes through the roof!

kindafoundabuckle

Dec 9, 2006
In bed at the moment
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Colonial KirkPA said:
It wouldn't be worth $500-800 probably since the glue is evident. Why would a purchaser purchase a glued crockery pot? :icon_scratch:

Just asking. :icon_scratch:

Kirk

Easy answer. Because it is VERY RARE. To a collector something is better than nothing. Its the same thing as a coin collector paying big bucks for a key date nickle that has been in the ground for a hundred years. It is no longer shiny but rather crusted and the date is barely readable but they will snatch um up in a second because they are so scarce. If you found a copy of the constitution in the back of a picture frame but it had some rips in it do you think a collector would say I dont want it because its not perfect?

KFB

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

kindafoundabuckle said:
Colonial KirkPA said:
It wouldn't be worth $500-800 probably since the glue is evident. Why would a purchaser purchase a glued crockery pot? :icon_scratch:

Just asking. :icon_scratch:

Kirk

Easy answer. Because it is VERY RARE. To a collector something is better than nothing. Its the same thing as a coin collector paying big bucks for a key date nickle that has been in the ground for a hundred years. It is no longer shiny but rather crusted and the date is barely readable but they will snatch um up in a second because they are so scarce. If you found a copy of the constitution in the back of a picture frame but it had some rips in it do you think a collector would say I dont want it because its not perfect?

KFB

That's kind of like the 1793 George Washington Ship Halfpenny that Colonial KirkPA found; it is super rare, with only 2,000 minted. Also, the little buggard would easily fetch over $500 at an auction. Here is the post: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,99654.html

Kyle

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

I think its beautiful...but would hesitate in selling it. If you need the money,I understand....But it could also be money in the bank for down the road....insure it and just wait .....a thousand dollars is great but having a rare piece of American history might even be better....plus the story behind it....I would display it proudly in my home. Congrats on the find and the excellent reconstruction.

John Deere Digger

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2007
So Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Prism5, Minelab SE

Those old crocks are beautiful, wish I could find a dump like that. great find.
JDD

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Beautiful crock, BB and fantastic job putting it back together!

Nana :)

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

Hey Will,

I've been following this thread.
I think it a fine thing you have managed ...
putting that thing back together was a monumental job.
And
as it turns out

a job well done.
Congratulations all around.

Thom

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WOW Buck---What a fantastick find. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I am going to start paying more attention to broken bottles.

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i

Great job on that!! I felt like a little bit of a nut sitting out in my workshop with a pile of broken glass and a couple of bottles of super glue.. so I'm glad I'm not the only one! I was gluing the pieces of a few bottles embossed with local town names just for my display because I have never seen them before but we have brought back piles of broken stone ware and crocks.. when I think I have all the pieces... I guess it is time to get some more elmers!!! Again.. way to go!!!

MonkeyBoy

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS

Patience pays off for you! :thumbsup: What a great discovery. Bet that site produces some pretty nice finds, can't wait to see more. Are you going to try and put the churn back together? Or I should say are you done yet? :wink:

Tough call on selling it. :-\ Keep us posted.

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice BB,I recently saw a crock sell at auction for $40,000 ! :thumbsup:

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado

That's kewl news Buck!
I'd keep it around for a while if it were me!
The "what if" stories could be fun telling; at least, for a while! :)

GRB

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800

Nice crock,

Bottle digging and collecting is more pletiful than coin shooting. I know guys who have quit detecting and search for bottles now only. I've been told certain bottles even broke are worth alot. I do like collecting bottles myself.

Hard work digging out pits though. And finding a good one. I've walked over so many fragments just like that crock you fixed. My area was big in glass and crock making in the 1800's. You can find tons of busted blob tops and 1800's glass in the areas I hunt.

Once again nice restoration

HH Jer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread