🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reconstructed 160 year old crock $$$ SOLD! $$$ UPDATED Dec. '08

Hello All,

I usually don't worry about broken stoneware or glass. To me, unless it's whole, it merely indicates that I'm close to the right spot for the real detecting to begin.

Last week when I was out with Rodeo and Bonzaibrandi, we found a few trash pits in the woods. There were some marked stoneware crocks there--all broken. Rodeo got a nice pottery spittoon too--most of it was whole. Anyhow, I collected all of the pieces to a few of these (they weigh a TON!), and decided I would cart the pieces home to try and reconstruct them for fun. After some research, and asking help from a few glass/pottery gurus, I began the reconstruction. This one was my first--and I believe it turned out quite well.

The crock is marked "J.H. Miller" "Brandenburg, KY"

This is a pretty rare stoneware storage jug made by James Miller, originally a potter in Strasburg, in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. He was born in 1814 and moved to Harrison County, Indiana in about 1837, after potting in Strasburg from about 1833-37. After moving to Indiana, he established his pottery just across the Ohio River in Brandenburg, Kentucky, where he operated from c1840-1884.

Pottery 001.jpg

It's pretty fun to put all of the puzzle pieces together--and it is a very slow process to give the glue time to cure overnight after each piece. I also had to assemble it in advance without the glue, and make certain that I wasn't painting myself into a corner on being able to fit the last piece in. Then plan which piece to attach when in sequence so that they all fit.

I have a few more that I'll post in the future once they are glued together. One is a large butter churn, and it'll take Quite a while.

I wanted to post this in "Today's Finds" rather than "Bottles and Glass" so that it would be seen. I'm actually pretty proud of the way it turned out. If this topic is in danger of getting moved, I can also post a photo of a suspender clip, harmonica reeds, and a few other bits we found that day. :P

Treasure takes many forms.

Regards,

Buckleboy

UPDATE #1: I wrote to the auction house to inquire about the value of my reconstructed crock, and received this e-mail in reply:

Thank you for your e-mail. Your Miller crock is a very nice piece
except for its condition. We would still expect it to bring in the $500 to
$800 range. If you would like to consign it, please let us know and we would
be happy to include it in our November auction.

Best Regards,
Tony Zipp

That two dollar bottle of Elmer's Glue was well worth it. :wink: As was hauling all of the heavy pieces out through the woods. I'm still pretty amazed that this value is what it is--and can only think of what it'd be worth if unbroken... :o

Worth MUCH more than any coin I've ever found.
(I'm hooked on glass and stoneware now. :wink: )

UPDATE #2: The crock sold for an amount within the price range indicated above. :thumbsup: So I reinvested a bit of it back in the hobby with a 12 x 10 searchcoil for the uMax. ;D
I know that there were some folks that didn't feel that a "broken crock" belonged on the banner--but I was quite happy as I drove by the bank today. :wink:

Best Wishes and Happy Hunting,

Buckles

Upvote 12

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
Re: Reconstructed 120-160 year old crock-UPDATE!-Worth MORE than a Sword Belt Plate!

I like that pot, and it looked nice in the banner..Maybe it was because you said you were going to sale it?Its hard to keep everything you dig up ,if you dig alot..I found that old 1885 slick nickel that time and made the banner :-\ And then worked my a$$ off in the swamp, with the snakes and bugs for those spanish silver coins and buttons.To me, my best finds ever..Anyway ,i think you see my point...Now lets see that big butter churn :D

Marc

Silver Member
Mar 19, 2003
Northern Hemisphere
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Re: Reconstructed 120-160 year old crock-UPDATE!-Worth MORE than a Sword Belt Pl

oops - it's back in the banner... sorry about that!

diamondjim

Mar 10, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Reconstructed 120-160 year old crock-UPDATE!-Worth MORE than a Sword Belt Plate!

BuckleBoy said:
diamondjim said:
I pretty much just ignore the banner anymore.

Nice repair job on the busted flower pot...when do we get the conclusion of the story, the final sale price?

Auction is on July 19th, as per the email quoted above. I'm mailing the piece to them this week.

Regards,

Buckleboy

Sorry about that, this is getting to be a very long thread and I didn't read every word.

Wish I'd caught this post sooner, I got a friend who's a professional at pottery restoration, you'd never know it had ever been busted...thankfully you used elmers glue on it!!!!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

diamondjim said:
BuckleBoy said:
diamondjim said:
I pretty much just ignore the banner anymore.

Nice repair job on the busted flower pot...when do we get the conclusion of the story, the final sale price?

Auction is on July 19th, as per the email quoted above. I'm mailing the piece to them this week.

Regards,

Buckleboy

Sorry about that, this is getting to be a very long thread and I didn't read every word.

Wish I'd caught this post sooner, I got a friend who's a professional at pottery restoration, you'd never know it had ever been busted...thankfully you used elmers glue on it!!!!

Any idea on the fee he charges?

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Reconstructed 120-160 year old crock-UPDATE!-Worth MORE than a Sword Belt Pl

Marc said:
oops - it's back in the banner... sorry about that!

Thanks, Marc!

I was mainly interested in knowing if it was intentionally removed because there was some negative sentiment about it being there.

Now that is of no concern to me.

Thank you. :thumbsup:

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !

I knew it had to be a mistake. There just being slow in the front office. Congrats BB a second time !

bootstrap vinn

Apr 25, 2006
Central Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1210x Fisher 1236x2 Fisher 1225x

Nice jugs Buckleboy! Congrats on the banner!!! Not all treasure is metallic,HH, Bootstrap :icon_pirat:

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

Great piece of pottery. I would love to have it in my collection. Way to go on the restore and the appraisal! :thumbsup:

HH,
Moon

kindafoundabuckle

Dec 9, 2006
In bed at the moment
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

allen said:
you did a great job of putting it together...
now the question is, are you going to sell it or keep it ???

He better sale it Allen!!!!

KFB

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sell the darn thing and come to CHT2! Oh, by the way, my real name is James Miller and I didn't make that crock pot , I'm the crackpot! :D Monty

chopper

Aug 6, 2007
La Grange, TN
Detector(s) used
Whites

That crock looks incredible! Hard to believe it had been laying in the woods for 120+ years. Your instincts served you well, most of us are one track minded when detecting and would have just passed it by or are just too lazy to lug something besides the normal gear. Great work!! :thumbsup:

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other

Amazing reconstructed treasure Buckle :icon_thumleft: :thumbsup: :icon_thumright:

Gotta love the hobby !! :occasion14:

Derek

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SELL SELL SELL!!!!!! ;D

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra

That crock represents a long and worthy reconstruction process by you. Your patience paid off big time Buckles. Congatulations.
Chris

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used