ITS REAL!!! ITS REAL!!! 170 YEAR OLD North Carolina Gold Coin!! *NEW PICTURES*

vthepresident

Dec 30, 2007
Charlottesville, Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Prism II, Tesoro Sand Shark
IT'S REAL!!! IT'S REAL!!! 170 YEAR OLD North Carolina Gold Coin!! *NEW PICTURES*

You guys are probably all going to make fun of me. How many times does some clown post a picture of a coin he or she bought at a yard sale or a pawn shop that turns out to be a replica or a car wash token? At least fifty times a day.
goldcoinreverse.jpg

goldcoinfront.jpg

Well, I am hoping that I am not that clown. However, I am fully prepared to don my polka dotted suit and put on my makeup. I can promise you I will be the sad kind of clown. Definitely not the happy kind. Here is my story,

After enjoying a most excellent day off from work with the first lady, we had one more stop to look at quilting supplies for her before we went home to eat some of her delicious spaghetti casserole. Keep in mind, she was so kind as to let me purchase a coin earlier in the day to add to my "19th Century Coins" type set (1877 seated half dollar). So, I was definitely not going to be in the coin market again for a while. Anyway, I said, "Can we swing by the pawn shop?" There is a nice pawn shop right down the road from our place, and the guy doesn't pay much attention to the dates on the coins he gets. He normally buys and sells based on silver and gold weight alone. She most graciously said "yes" and in we went. The place was crawling with pawners, so we had to wait for a while to get to the counter that has coins in it. I noticed two things...

#1. There were a lot of coins there that weren't there about a week ago. Normally the guys has a little display with 10 or 15 coins in it. Today there were 4 double eagles, a large stack of silver dollars, and many various older silver coins. It looked like a good portion of a collection had been turned in.

#2. There was another coin person there ahead of me shopping the case. The guy was discussing one coin in particular that I gathered might be a gold one. The shopper was struggling with the same decision I would soon be struggling with. At last, I heard him say, " I will go home and research this, and then I'll probably come back for it."
My interest was now perked.

After a thug bought a gun and a Mexican guy hocked a guitar, it was our turn. I know the owner pretty well, and he greeted me as he got the coin display out for me. The first lady and I perused the contents and I immediately found the gold coin. At first I thought it was a foreign coin, but when I flipped it, I saw "Carolina Gold" on the back. I thought right away it was probably a replica. However, not to be daunted, I asked the owner if he had tested the gold content and what the price was. He said he had not tested it but we could right there on the spot. He wanted $55, which was the price of the weight in gold. I didn't want him to scratch it to test it, so I trusted his eye for real gold and moved on. I wasn't about to ask for $55 more dollars from the first lady for more coins, so I paid the guy $1.60 for a busted up holed capped bust dime and a busted up holed seated dime and we left.

But it nagged at me. In fact, it chewed at me and pictures in my head appeared of redbook pages chronicling territorial issue gold coins and some other dude purchasing it before me. In the end, the First Lady convinced ME that we should go get it just in case it was real. So we did. I now own it. It looks just like the pictures in the Red Book. It is a Rutherford Bechtler gold dollar. Or a replica. Please, Treasurenet experts! Please tell me it's real!

If it's not, so be it, but I'm hoping the gold content will make it worth something even if it is more modern.

Any input will be appreciated,
V

Upvote 0
OP
OP
vthepresident

vthepresident

Dec 30, 2007
Detector(s) used
Re: IT'S REAL!!! IT'S REAL!!! 170 YEAR OLD North Carolina Gold Coin!! *NEW PICTURES*

Sweet! My first two page thread!!!

And it wasn't even about an Old Spanish Bentwood Box!

V

OP
OP
vthepresident

vthepresident

Dec 30, 2007
Detector(s) used
Re: IT'S REAL!!! IT'S REAL!!! 170 YEAR OLD North Carolina Gold Coin!! *NEW PICTURES*

I am unashamedly moving this back up so my mom can find it. Feel free to scoff.
V

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome!

OP
OP
vthepresident

vthepresident

Dec 30, 2007
Detector(s) used

You are absolutely right. I owe her big time. I am a very very fortunate man. Of course, she didn't do half bad either. Just kidding, I got a great deal at the pawn shop, but I got an unbeatable deal in a wife. She is one of a kind, and I wouldn't amount to anything without her.

Plus she is a great photographer. Here are some of her metal detecting action shots...
beach08024.jpg

beach08044.jpg

008-1.jpg

301.jpg

What can I say? I'm the luckiest man in the world. Stay tuned for more from the V's....

Mr. V

rsc

Mar 6, 2005
Noth of Houston

Congratulations on your GREAT find....Feeling sorry for a Pawn broker?????? NO WAY he made his profit.
Now the only problem is getting a Safe Deposit Box to keep it in. HH Gayle

bfmco7

Greenie
Jul 9, 2008

Whats the value estimated at?

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

an awesome find and great pics also :o congrats on find and the wife :thumbsup:

pjroo33

Oct 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: IT'S REAL!!! IT'S REAL!!! 170 YEAR OLD North Carolina Gold Coin!! *NEW PICTU

WOW!!!! What a fantastic coin to find in a Pawn Shop for $55. That is just amazing!

I have to say I am surprised with ANACS for getting a fingerprint on the inside of the case. I would have hoped that they "white gloved" all coins that went through their grading process so things like that wouldn't happen. That's kind of disappointing. Either way, you have a dream coin in your collection now. Congratulations!

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is a sweet pawn shop find. LOL the person who sold it proll just got paid the gold melt value for it!!! LOL

stillgottawork

Jun 6, 2008
New York
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT , Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:thumbsup: It took me 25min to get to the end....and i skipped a few.....congrats on a great find... :thumbsup:

capndan151

Apr 29, 2007
Costa Mesa CA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX

It looks very real however the only thing you can do to be sure is send it to be graded. Could be big bucks. Good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread