I saw her walking, she looked tired, so I took her home.

Patrol

Dec 4, 2006
Northeast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Whites Surf II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found her walking and she looked a little worn and tired so I gave her a lift home and she is now looking great. Wow, a 1919 silver half dollar ‘Walker’.

I am excited. I am trying out my new system of hunting. I figured a way to transport everything I need for metal detecting on my motorcycle. It saves gas, I enjoy the heck out of it, and, I can metal detect in places I won’t want to take my van. This time it is on the ‘wrong side of the tracks’ at an abandoned church. I dug over 37 pennies including 4 ‘wheaties’ and assorted dimes and nickels before I found her. She was 6 inches down among the roots along with a number of pennies of later vintage.

I was digging and digging among the roots a getting nothing but recent pennies. Every time when I thought I got them all I would do another sweep the make sure and I would get another “ping”. I said to myself, “it’s hot and I am tired and I just don’t want to dig it”. But after finding my first ever ‘wheaties’ that day I was determined to find more. Then, I saw that shiny large coin in the dirt I couldn’t believe my eyes or my luck. I did it! I have seen them on the Treasure Net but never did I think I would find one too.

What a day – my first ‘wheaties’, my first large silver, and my oldest coin. It’s an addicting hobby that just when you say, “I am wasting my time”, it brings you back for more!

Thanks for sharing my fun.

TE

Attachments

• Church5.jpg
    Church5.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 1,130
  • church4.jpg
    church4.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 1,119
  • church1.jpg
    church1.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 1,122
  • Church2.jpg
    Church2.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 1,119
  • Church3.jpg
    Church3.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 1,107
Upvote 0

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
lol love the title. nice one. My only walking lady is real worn aswell, guess our two old bags where out all night. congrats

vickilynn

May 19, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites prizm 950 V
Just TOOOOOOOOOOOOO funny !!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Nice old bag congrats!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Patrol

Patrol

Dec 4, 2006
Northeast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ugotit, you got it. They must have had a hell of a night. Even though, she might have a lot of miles on her she still looks pretty to me. Classic beauty is just that.

I suspect that coin was in circulation for many years after its 1919 mint date. Here in Florida we don't find much old stuff (Spanish treasure aside) like they do in the Northeast. I am fairly new at this but I suspect that our sandy soil sends the old stuff quickly out of range in a few years. I find coins only five years old more than 6 inches down. I am not talking the beach. Also, because the soil is so easy to move around just about everywhere has been 'bladed' many times over. Virgin soil is hard to find.

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1
Nice find on that half...did you find it with the Ace or the BH?
My Ace was ringing a solid dollar signal today, thought maybe a pop can but dug it anyway..turned out to be 4 quarters stuck together.

christ-first

Mar 20, 2008
Sweet Home Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
take the silver coins any way you can get them....either great condition or worn-slam-out. it just does'nt matter as long as it's silver.

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bringing back history from years long past is never a waste of time. 8)

Metal Detecting rules! ;D

Congratulations on that big silver! :)

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
Gold Country (California)
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool! Congratulations :)

HH, Mark

OP
OP
Patrol

Patrol

Dec 4, 2006
Northeast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Litefire, I found it with my ACE250. I love that machine - it is just incredible. A lot of bang for the buck and easy to use.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. Sometimes you never think you will find something special and then bam it happens - life is grand.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kimsdad said:
Great find!

I'll toast both of the old bags, 'cuz they finally came home!
;D

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
It's like golfing, you wait for the last hole to get a a birdie that brings you back for more....Punishment all day and then whammo....Silver...Nice digs... ;D jgas

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
Very nice Walking Liberty Half Dollar! It does look like she is tired! Glad she was given a good home! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread