ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
my "new" 1979 bobcat metal detector finds "first target" its a real life saver

yep an old about 1950's era 30 - 30 bullet (live) that due to recent rain was right near the surface in the backyard (heck I can't believe I hadn't found it before now -- hitting that with the lawn mower could really ruin your day.. --- good bobcat fed em some new 9 volts as a treat--- ;D

Upvote 0

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: my "new" 1979 bobcat metal detector finds "first target" its a real life saver

I found to live bullets so far 22 long riffle and a 222 rem

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: my "new" 1979 bobcat metal detector finds "first target" its a real life saver

Ivan, I swear you could find stuff without batteries... your amazing on your finds and knowledge :thumbsup:

dkw

Jul 8, 2006
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Deleon, Ace 250
Re: my "new" 1979 bobcat metal detector finds "first target" its a real life sa

ivan salis said:
hitting that with the lawn mower could really ruin your day.

No more so than hitting a rock. Ammunition detonated outside of a weapons chamber isn't all that dangerous.

This link deals with heat but it's still the same principle. No chamber=no concentrated energy.

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

thinking of metal casing being thrown by the mower blade -- its as good as being shot out of a barrel and just as deadly. not the powder going off --but the flung metal casing .--- if you find a bullet amd want to make it safe---just yank the lead out of the tip of it with a set of pliers hold the bullet ( in such a way that the front or rear is not pointed at you --out of doors ) in a set of pliers pointed toward the ground --then grab the lead tip with another set of pliers pull the tip out --- the gun powder will drop out -- leaving a very weak primer in the casing -- with no powder and no bullet to push against even if the primer gets set off it will just go snap -- its not very powerful --it main purpose is to set fire to the powder (the super fast burning gunpowder makes rapidly expanding gases the real "power" that pushes a bullet ---it is these gases that must be trapped and focused by the gun barrel) -- thus no powder equals no no power

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
Gold Country (California)
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I found a live round today, it was a 38 cal and the bullet (projectile) was very corroded but there was still enough there to cause trouble and the primer was unfired. I just watched that video . . . . but I think I will still discard those live rounds when I find them. :)

HH, Mark

May 31, 2008
Lake City, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 II, Ace 250, Gold Bug 2, Fisher 1265-X, C&G Bobcat, Previously Garrett Groundhog and Bounty Hunter RB 10
Re: my "new" 1979 bobcat metal detector finds "first target" its a real life sa

Hey Ivan,

I've got a C&G Technology hip-mount Bobcat detector too. I still use it. Its a great coin shooter, but only detects about 4 or 5 inches on coin-size targets. A word of advice.....never change the batteries when the unit is still "on." I did once, by accident, and had to send it off for repair under warranty. Good luck with your "new" detector. Mine found me 2 diamond rings at a schoolyard.

Bob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread