Unknown silver thing found last night

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
I went over to the little school playground by our house last night with my two boys. My son Kenny (kenny161) brought his Ace 250 along, and he found a handful of coins which he posted about last night. My younger son wanted to throw his boomerang around, so I didn't bother bringing my detector.

Well, after I threw the boomerang and it landed in the parking lot and broke in half, it was time to call it a night. I took Kenny's Ace 250 and used it on the way back to the car and got a nickle signal at 6 inches. I dug up this odd silver item. It has two sides of very finely filigreed silver wire - at least I believe it to be silver. Between the two sides is a hard rusty material. It almost looks like it was a pocket knife at one time, but the insides of the pocket knife have corroded and rusted so much that it is now just a block of rust. I find it hard to believe that this could happen to the liners and blade(s) of a knife, no matter how long it is in the ground. Plus, the silver sides are very thin and pliable - it seems too thin and pliable to be the sides of a knife, unless they were attached to very rigid brass or steel liners that along with any blades have turned into the block of rust that is between the two silver sides.

Anyways, here are pictures of what I found last night.

IMG_8271.jpg

IMG_8272.jpg

IMG_8273.jpg

IMG_8275.jpg

Upvote 0

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
White's - DFX,Prizm V, Spectra V3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe that you might be on the wrong path here. I believe that the item you found is a straight razor. Over the years, many of the parts have been eaten away by mother nature, but that would explain why it isn't as thick, or have as many blades as a pocket knife would have. It would also explain why it is engraved with a very smart silver design. An excellant find. WTG :thumbsup:

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I concour, it's a straight razor.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lady knife from the looks of it, but it could be a straight razor too...

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TEXAN Connection said:
I,ll play it safe and say a ladies straight razor

First ever Ladies Bic Razor...cool.

I'm going with a ladies knife. It does not look long enough to be a straight razor and even with the rust the blade looks way to big to be a razor...just my 2 cents.

NJ

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread