One Ringy dingy, Two Ringy dingy,... THREE RINGY DINGY!!!!

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
One. Two!... THREE???? Oh WOW! That would have been absolutely AWESOME! *sigh* Alas.. it was not to be. Well I *DID* find three rings today, but one of them probably didn't start off life as a ring per se.
Hello everyone. I hope you are all doing well and staying comfortable with all the heat and humidity (where that applies) we're having lately. More on the way from the sound of the weather forcast this evening. I didn't quite catch all of it as I was buys cleaning up after dinner. Mmmmm.. Fresh roasted corn on the cob, fresh picked steamed green beans.. and a veritable shmorgasborg (Sp?) of grilled/roasted meats. <grin> It was my last day off of this three day cycle and I had to cook dinner tonight.. and for my dinners for the next three or four nights for work as well. So... I grilled a variety.. chicken wings, pork chops, and even a couple of ribeyes. My wife doesn't even blink anymore when she sees a mound of roasted beast on a platter coming in from the grill. *sigh* Life is good.
This weekend didn't start off with the promise of being "good" however. I, as well as most of my family, were on pins and needles for a couple of days. My father had to undergo another "Endo-Cardial Ablation" procedure Friday. I'm not sure I spelled that correctly but what the procedure is involves Endo Scopes (duh) and tiny little vacuums and a laser. The instruments are run up through the leg veins into the heart.. yes "INTO" the heart where some scar tissue and even "healthy" heart muscle tissue is cauterized to make a "clean" delineation between good tissue and scar tissue so that the heart will stay in synch and not go all wonky or "arrhythmic".. meaning a heart attack. Yeah.. it sounds scary, and it probably is worse than I describe it, but it works. It also takes a VERY long TIME to perform too. My dad's doctors said that it might take a few hours so we shouldn't be alarmed, but ten and a half hours is a VERY LONG TIME to wait and worry. Even with hourly updates.. the imagination can play some very mean tricks on you when you are worrying and waiting for such a long time.
Saturday was pretty much all recovery, blood thinners to prevent or lessen the possibility of a post operative stroke.. and observation. Fortunately things went well and my dad was even released from the hospital this afternoon (Sunday) to go home. *VERY BIG SIGH OF RELIEF* Pins and Needles I tell you.. Pins and Needles!
Ok.. worries aside, chores accomplished, honey do list items (partially) accounted for, I found myself with a little "free" time this afternoon and I grabbed my machine and headed out! First stop was a nearby elementary school where I've not detected for a few months. Schools out for summer, for another couple of weeks anyway, and I figured I'd make a sweep before I went on out to a county park where I detected last week after a weekend soccer tournament. Didn't find a whole lot at the schoolyard, mostly pull tabs and usual suspects.. a "snap" buckle,

8-03-08 005crap.jpg

.... a hair clasp, and some shoe bling (or perhaps a charm from a charm bracelet)

8-03-08 004hearts and butterflies.jpg

I also found another Race Car to add to my growing inventory at Fro's Used Cars..

8-03-08 003racer.jpg

Then, just as I was finishing up in the woodchips of the playground and about to head to my truck to move on.. I got a weak ping on my detector. It appeared to be likely pull tab as the reading was in the nickle range as most pull tabs that I find are... But.. sometimes a nickle is really a nickle.. so I dug it up. Well it wasn't a nickle this time.. but it wasn't a pull tab either. It was this cute little, if somewhat misshapen ed, ring, complete with still intact set.. looks to be amethyst. And.. the ring is SILVER!!! <grin>

8-03-08 007amethyst.jpg 8-03-08 009stamp.jpg

The ring, along with a few clad coins I was feeling pretty good about this short hunt. But on to the park I did go. It was hot, it was dry, (not always a bad thing) and I didn't have a whole lot of time before I was due to be back home and starting dinner.. grilling is time consuming.. <grin> So, I decided to to just hunt the parking for one part of the park. People park their cars along (facing) the wooden plank fences that border the soccer fields. And anywhere people park cars, they spill coins and other goodies that we metal detectorist can find if we only bother to look. I started at one end of a long stretch of fenceline and worked my way down the middle of the grass strip that is the parking area, then back up the opposite side of the road along the other fenceline back to my truck. All in all I guess it was about 350 yards combined. I really didn't expect to find much, maybe some clad and of course the usual pull tabs. And I did. Clad and Pull tabs.. mostly pennies and dimes. I did find one 1941 nickle though. There were some other oddities as well, one penny that looked as though it had been squashed or hammered flat, and another key to something I'll never know. <smile>.. Just add that to my growing collection of found keys and locks. And I found what nearly sent me into the happy dance. Another nickle reading on my detector had me digging a plug only to find this little ring. A SECOND Ring in one day! It looked like an engagement ring at first glance! Even still had the stone set in it! OH WOW! <smirk> On closer inspection though it proved to be costume jewelry at best, possibly gold plated at one time, but most of that was gone now, and the set is either QZ or glass. <grin> Oh well.. I still got a kick out of finding it.

8-03-08 010cheapy plated.jpg

Smiling and continuing on I found a few more clad pennies (those ubiquitous dissolving Lincoln Memorials) when I got another "nickle" signal.. and a phone call. My wife was calling me to see where I was and when I would be home.... and I was turning over my plug to reveal a gleam of yellow metal.. GOLD!!!! Not! It's not even a real ring I think. Perhaps some child was wearing it as a ring or whatever when they lost it in the grass along the fence, but it more than likely started off life as a decorative band on an ink pen or something.

8-03-08 011fake ring.jpg

With that I was pretty much done for the day. I of course detected all the way back to my truck before loading up to head for home. And I found a couple of more clad coins and a few pull tabs, but I was pretty well done. After getting dinner started at home I had a chance to sort out the finds in my bag from today's hunt and took some pictures to share with you all.
Here's my Three Ringy Dingy's for the day... <smiling>

8-03-08 006three Rings.jpg

And here's just about everything.. minus the can slaw and bottle caps that get tossed at the nearest garbage can while I'm out..

8-03-08 001everything.jpg

Only dug up $2.21 in coin today, but then it was a rather short hunt.. both hunts that is. <grin> But still.. I found SILVER, and BLING! <grin> It's still a good day in my book. Hope you all have a good day today, or soon. As always..

Happy Hunting Everyone!

Frodov

Upvote 0

Dirt Dobber

Jun 24, 2008
Midlands of S.Carolina
Detector(s) used
R/S Discovery(BH IV) cousin
Now you've done it! Got me thinking about foood and got that glazed look in my eyes and forgot about your finds. Gotta hit the frig now. And by the way nice hunt. D.D.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Frodov, Good day out buddy ! A sterling ring makes the day , and the rest is just the frosting on the

cake. I'm a little perplexed by the nickel type VDI reading, normally small sterling rings read between 77,

and 82 on my MXT. (penny /dime ,to just below quarter) . Thank you for your classic posts , you are a real

blessing to this forum and I'd count myself lucky to spend a day hunting with you, if i did'nt live a million

miles from you , I'd do my best to make it happen. Blessings, Argentium.

TN-Joe

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
Tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA500
Frodov, my Kentucky Friend,
Simply an awesome post. One good ring in better then three plug nickles.lol
Hope you dig gold soon,
Joe

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Argentium said:
Hey Frodov, Good day out buddy ! A sterling ring makes the day , and the rest is just the frosting on the

cake. I'm a little perplexed by the nickel type VDI reading, normally small sterling rings read between 77,

and 82 on my MXT. (penny /dime ,to just below quarter) . Thank you for your classic posts , you are a real

blessing to this forum and I'd count myself lucky to spend a day hunting with you, if i did'nt live a million

miles from you , I'd do my best to make it happen. Blessings, Argentium.

What you say may be true.. but, alas, my machine is a bit more.. well.. "dummied down" I suspect. <grin> My White's Prizm IV doesn't actually show any "VDI" numbers, just simple icons as to what the target might be and the depth of course. For a relative novice like myself that's not a bad thing. Although, I'm not so sure I can call myself a complete novice anymore, I've been detecting now for a little over a year and a half.. but compared to some of these folks on here and in this hobby, who've been detecting for years and even decades.. well I guess I still qualify as a "relative novice" anyway. <grin> No. My Prizm is very user friendly for the un intiated detectorist. It does most of the "thinking" for you as far as determining the id of the target. That's not to say that it gets it right 100% of the time.. <laughing> But it's close enough that I rely on it. And hey.. a surprise every now and then isn't such a bad thing. Right?

Happy Hunting!

Frodov

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
plehbah said:
It is only a matter of time until one of those rings turns out to be gold with real diamonds and other gem stones.

The tot lots of every school across America are known for their abundance of fun and easy treasures.

Congratulations on your tot lot BONANZA!

Arrrgh! I'm a clock watcher.. *sigh* I hope that TIME will go quickly so that I can get to the good parts SOONER! <grin>

Happy Hunting!

Frodov

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
As always Frodov.....A great story and nice finds to boot! Love reading your posts.....always entertaining!! Glad your Dad got through his procedure okay. Hope all continues to go well! God Bless.....

HH,
Moon

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250
Hey Frodov! Glad Dad's procedure went OK (I've had two of them myself). He will feel much better now. Glad you got out & had a decent hunt. Your dinner sounded a lot like ours: fresh sweet corn, fresh green beans, rare thick steak and delicious salad with ranch dressing...oh crap, I'm hungry again!

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Moonshadow said:
As always Frodov.....A great story and nice finds to boot! Love reading your posts.....always entertaining!! Glad your Dad got through his procedure okay. Hope all continues to go well! God Bless.....

HH,
Moon

Thank you Moon. All the metal detecting in the world is not even a consideration compared to the importance, to me and my family, of my Dad's well being.

Happy Hunting.

Frodov

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Prober said:
Hey Frodov! Glad Dad's procedure went OK (I've had two of them myself). He will feel much better now. Glad you got out & had a decent hunt. Your dinner sounded a lot like ours: fresh sweet corn, fresh green beans, rare thick steak and delicious salad with ranch dressing...oh crap, I'm hungry again!

When everything is in season and bountiful.. well I could just about forgo the meat entirely. That's not to say that I don't really REALLY enjoy a good steak or whatever.. <mouth watering at the thought> but sometimes just veggies will suffice nicely. <smile> What I'm really REALLY craving lately though is some nice fresh fish. I've not been "FISH" fishing all year this year. Between work, Honey-Do tasks, Family emergencies, weather... and of course.. This CrAzY hobby of metal detecting I've aquired.. I've not had a chance to get out the boat or even just my fishing poles and wet a line. I'll have to correct that sometime next week on vacation. Even if it's only to a friend's pond and catching some delicious little pan fish.. Bluegills or Bream. <grin>
Congratulations on your continuing good health.. or well being anyway. I'm glad to hear that so many people do well after heart surgeries of any kind. Did you smoke? My dad smoked for his entire adult life, until three months ago. I think it was the best thing he ever did for himself was to put down the smokes for good. Now if everything else just holds together.. <smile>

Happy Hunting!

Frodov

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread