VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey RJc!! Lot of wisdom in that sentence!! Hope your Well!! GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
People keep saying things like that-

If I can't ___________ I'd rather be dead.

But they are still here, and they aren't ____________.

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
People keep saying things like that-

If I can't ___________ I'd rather be dead.

But they are still here, and they aren't

Completely different thing than what Layne Stanley was getting at.Dwell on it a while gib,maybe his meaning will sink in.And actually,Mr Stanley is dead.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Alice in Chains lyrics to Nutshell.

And his last name is actually Staley.

Some people like to believe that the lyrics are about how the government controls every aspect of our lives.

When, in fact, he was so deep into the depression of heroin addiction, the true meaning is at the very least, horribly obscured...

The quote, is often taken with the context involving governmental overtones.

My comment- reflects my views of people who keep saying- "Give me freedom or give me death" and then point out how they have lost all freedoms, yet they didn't choose the second half of the statement.

So, it's just an unsupported rambling, while addicted to heroin or not.

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I know full well where it came from.:laughing9:I dont see it as a quote about anything about the gov.It goes a lot deeper than thatI see it as a quote about a man who wanted to be who he was.It had nothing to do with the gov.He wanted to be his own.Just because im the one that posts it doesnt mean its about the gov. lol

My comment- reflects my views of people who keep saying- "Give me freedom or give me death" and then point out how they have lost all freedoms, yet they didn't choose the second half of the statement.

Its not time yet:laughing7:

So, it's just an unsupported rambling, while addicted to heroin or not.

No its not rambling,few will see it.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Having a second chance at life. I lean towards living. Just don,t seem right tempting fate by resolution.Death will come no doubt but I am a chameleon of my experience and environment. I do try to remain in an environment I like. Outside of permanent pain unmanageable that saps ones psych or perhaps true imminent agonizing death, suggesting death as an alternative to an ideal unmaintained seems a lack of ambition or accepted defeat..I knew a man who choose death over imperfection. He would have agreed he could not be his own,heck many have in their own way with same results.
How many people were subjected to subliminal input,unmeant,during sedation during surgery that have been influenced? To consider death because they have a fault ,well we all have faults. Should I die rather than wear a prosthetic or use a wheelchair? Or because there is a speed limit law I won,t accept?
I am me. My own. But am also a sum of many parts. Mental, physical, environmental, societal. Ain,t looking for an out,whether I like myself and how I am or not. Fatalistic at the end rather than to the end I suppose.

Last edited:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Ya learn something new every day-

I'd never figured Red for an Alice in Chains fan...

Here ya go!

(and it's "I'd feel better dead", just FYI)

Last edited:

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What Layne is singing about in mostly all his songs. This particular song is about his life and his addiction in a "nutshell"
"We chase misprinted lies"
He is talking about the money, glamor and fame its not real. you don't need all that sh*t to be content in life
"We face the path of time"
Pretty self explanatory
"And yet I fight.. and yet I fight.. this battle all alone"
He is talking about fighting his addiction within himself because any addict or alcoholic out there knows you have to want it and do it on your own no one can help you.
"No one to cry too, no place to call home"
What he means by this is no one wants to hear his complaining about his addiction anymore.
"My gift of self is raped"
He is saying addiction has a hold of him like its raping himself of who he really is.
"My privacy is raked"
Meaning he has no privacy with the media openly talking about his addiction.
"And yet I find.. and yet I find. repeating in my head if I cant be my own id feel better dead"
Going back to what he said about "gift of self is raped". He just wants to be normal again and not have to suffer through a hellish addiction where you hate waking up in the morning that you actually would feel better dead.

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Ahhh,the lament followed by requiem of a junkie in the lucidity between fixes when the "I can handle it" is countered by the brutal slap of reality that they messed up.
Hmmm,death rather than responsibility of actions must be the only relief if its a choice of not having become addicted and having to quit..
We just keep losing heroin addicts here. No matter what they say or agree too.Too bad there loved ones continue to suffer after the overdoses.
What was the old saying no one seemed to remember. Acid and smack you never come back.
Look at this life and then go ahead and follow.Why?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Ya learn something new every day-

I'd never figured Red for an Alice in Chains fan...

Here ya go!

(and it's "I'd feel better dead", just FYI)

"Feel" "be" its all the same,youre not going to know it anyway:laughing9:.Pick a song,I could most likely belt it out on my bass at one time or another for you.The tough part,if you didnt have the sheet music,was knowing what key they played in.Most of their stuff was in drop D tuning or E flat.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lot of stuff here to think about. As for the music, I love music; it gets me through life. I don't really 'play' an instrument. I 'chord' some on guitar, 'pick out' a tune on a keyboard or an accordion occasionally; used to play piano a bit. But the music I always loved is something that most people seem to think is 'too sad' for anyone to hear. I don't know if I'm just 'melancholy', an old 'romantic', a sad person, or what. It seems that the sadder (to me) the music/words are, the better I like it; especially sad love songs and songs expressing true love for another.

There are a lot people that feel they had rather die than to live certain ways. Like Red's 'You know my stance, live free or die'. That doesn't mean (I don't think) that he would rather just lay down and die, or take his own life if he was in 'captivity'. I believe he means that he would rather fight to the death than to be a slave/captive. I feel the same way. I've never had severe pain that lasted for any length of time. If I had extreme pain, then I might consider being better off dead if I knew that it would not end.
As far as just thinking life isn't worth living; I have never thought of anything that would make it so. I've been through a lot of grief and heartaches in this old life; but to me, it's still well worth living. In my life now, there are a million things that I consider really bad; but don't consider life not worth living! Some would think that most of my life is gone, yes; but there's some left. Some would think that since I've outlived all but a few cousins, and son, daughter, and a grandson, I don't have much left; wrong. I have my son, daughter, grandson, and cousins and love them. Yes, I've watched as most of the kinfolk have died, and even if I was the only one left, why would I not want to go on living? Just my way of thinking. As long as there's life left in me, I want to live it the way I want to if I can. If I can't live it just like I want, then I'll live it however I can.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Now there is a potential Haggard fan.Sure would be nice to solve no volume without rebooting on this computer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread