Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So if you don't drink for say....3 or 4 days...are you no longer an alcoholic? Is there a certain amount of time before you are considered..."cured"?:icon_scratch:

Yes, I just watched how to do this late last night. You stand in front of me. I push my palm in your forehead. And yell, Your cured! You fall back ,my helpers catch you ,and your cured!! :laughing7: I saw it on TV, so it has to work and be true! Now, just send me your life savings to support more of my "programing".

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I just watched how to do this late last night. You stand in front of me. I push my palm in your forehead. And yell, Your cured! You fall back ,my helpers catch you ,and your cured!! :laughing7: I saw it on TV, so it has to work and be true! Now, just send me your life savings to support more of my "programing".

You were watching the movie Fletch Lives.
Just sayin' if you are not drunk you are sober. 1 day, 1 week, 1 year. Maybe there is a chart.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You were watching the movie Fletch Lives.
Just sayin' if you are not drunk you are sober. 1 day, 1 week, 1 year. Maybe there is a chart.

I also wonder what's the difference between an alcoholic and someone that just has a few drinks or where is that line? My grandfather had a beer or two after work everyday! Was he an alcoholic? I don't think he was. I don't ever remember him drunk but once or twice. But he may have been considered alcohol dependent. He didn't feel he had a problem, no one around felt like he had a problem.

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been on the wagon for the Last 2 hours .
as I said it's easy to quit !

seriously though, in my 20's I used to drink every chance I could.
My choices were

Rum & cokes

Southern Comfort & Molson Chasers

Southern Comfort & Heiniken Chasers

are the drinks I remember drinking .
I would start early afternoon,
By 2AM I was swearing off alcohol till the next afternoon , then I'd start over.

one night in my mid 20's I think, I went out drinking,
and woke up at home in my car.
walked in the house & straight into a wall.

so I made up my mind to quit

I turned 60 in June

with the exception of half a a bottle of WADADLI Lager a friend gave me a few years ago,
which made me curious, and tasted like monkey urine probably tastes like .
and whatever my niece cooked with on rare occasions and didn't warn me.
I don't drink. or do any mind altering substances.

I don't crave it. I joke on occasion here.

but I am Jeff of PA and I ain't anybody's fool :laughing7:
I'll never pay anyone to preach to me
or listen to me rant , Brutz & cry
:tongue3:

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OH & for the Record Sobriety isn't all it's cracked up to be Either :unhappysmiley:
Don't let anyone fool you

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
but I am Jeff of PA and I ain't anybody's fool :laughing7:
I'll never pay anyone to preach to me or listen to me rant , Brutz & cry
:tongue3:

Yep, I understand that.

I drink, but I learned long ago not to get drunk, not to drink & drive, and not to get stupid (although I'm there naturally at times).

It must be time for a taste of fine brandy.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So if you don't drink for say....3 or 4 days...are you no longer an alcoholic? Is there a certain amount of time before you are considered..."cured"?:icon_scratch:
Once an alcoholic always an alcoholic, you can be a 10 year sober not a drop in 10 years but your still an alcoholic because you know you can never start drinking again.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also wonder what's the difference between an alcoholic and someone that just has a few drinks or where is that line? My grandfather had a beer or two after work everyday! Was he an alcoholic? I don't think he was. I don't ever remember him drunk but once or twice. But he may have been considered alcohol dependent. He didn't feel he had a problem, no one around felt like he had a problem.

There are lots of lists but they all still boil down to the same list A.A. uses.

Lots of signs. If someone answers yes to 4 or more they have a drinking problem...

A.A. Test.

Have you ever decided to stop drinking for a week or so, but only lasted for a couple of days?

Most of us in A.A. made all kinds of promises to ourselves and to our families. We could not keep them. Then we came to A.A. A.A. said: "Just try not to drink today." (If you do not drink today, you cannot get drunk today.)

2. Do you wish people would mind their own business about your drinking-- stop telling you what to do?

In A.A. we do not tell anyone to do anything. We just talk about our own drinking, the trouble we got into, and how we stopped. We will be glad to help you, if you want us to.

3. Have you ever switched from one kind of drink to another in the hope that this would keep you from getting drunk?

We tried all kinds of ways. We made our drinks weak. Or just drank beer. Or we did not drink cocktails. Or only drank on weekends. You name it, we tried it. But if we drank anything with alcohol in it, we usually got drunk eventually.

4. Have you had to have an eye-opener upon awakening during the past year?

Do you need a drink to get started, or to stop shaking? This is a pretty sure sign that you are not drinking "socially."

5. Do you envy people who can drink without getting into trouble?

At one time or another, most of us have wondered why we were not like most people, who really can take it or leave it.

6. Have you had problems connected with drinking during the past year?

Be honest! Doctors say that if you have a problem with alcohol and keep on drinking, it will get worse -- never better. Eventually, you will die, or end up in an institution for the rest of your life. The only hope is to stop drinking.

7. Has your drinking caused trouble at home?

Most said that it was the people or problems at home that made us drink. We could not see that our drinking just made everything worse. It never solved problems anywhere or anytime.

8. Do you ever try to get "extra" drinks at a party because you do not get enough?

Most of us used to have a "few" before we started out if we thought it was going to be that kind of party. And if drinks were not served fast enough, we would go some place else to get more.

9. Do you tell yourself you can stop drinking any time you want to, even though you keep getting drunk when you don't mean to?

Many of us kidded ourselves into thinking that we drank because we wanted to. After we came into A.A., we found out that once we started to drink, we couldn't stop.

10. Have you missed days of work or school because of drinking?

Many of us admit now that we "called in sick" lots of times when the truth was that we were hung-over or on a drunk.

11. Do you have "blackouts"?

A "blackout" is when we have been drinking hours or days which we cannot remember. When we came to A.A., we found out that this is a pretty sure sign of alcoholic drinking.

12. Have you ever felt that your life would be better if you did not drink?

Many of us started to drink because drinking made life seem better, at least for a while. By the time we got into A.A., we felt trapped. We were drinking to live and living to drink. We were sick and tired of being sick and tired.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always thought blackouts were just nonsense. I thought it was an excuse, so that you could tell people,"I don't know, I don't remember a thing!" LOL Until.....It happened to me one night. I really had no idea what I did or how I got to where I was the next morning. That scared me so bad! I don't think I have been that drunk since. I'll have a few mixed drinks, or beers now and then. I joke in the threads about it but maybe have had, 3 mixed drinks in the past year or so. And that was when I was working in FL a couple of weeks ago at a hotel bar. So, like most people I went through the phase and experimental part. Drank kind of heavy or to get drunk in my late 20's early 30's, had a scare and became responsible with it. Just like anything else. And now looking back? Things could have went bad way too many times, and I guess they did. Ok serious post over! Going back to jokes and nonsense!:laughing7:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
NEVER been addicted; WAS a Drug/Alcohol Counselor in PRIVATE Mountain Wood Treatment Center 1988; Secondary Sponsor of AA in a MAX Security Prison in Va. (Primary Sponsor was Case Manager/Alcoholic) 1988-92. The SECRET...? Have SPONSOR, a PEER, who has "been there, done that"... and "BEAT IT". Someone YOU can call & talk to or meet to be with you and "TALK" you through; AA meetings are fine & I REALLY don't know much about the medication stuff. It also runs "in the family"; my older brother, an uncle, grandfather... I have traced "family line" to a grandfather during the Revolutionary War married to Thomas Jefferson oldest sister. SOME ppl are PRE-Disposed to ALCOHOLISM. Do research on YOUR "family"... TAKE ONE DAY AT A TIME!

Last edited:

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are lots of lists but they all still boil down to the same list A.A. uses.

Lots of signs. If someone answers yes to 4 or more they have a drinking problem...

A.A. Test.

Have you ever decided to stop drinking for a week or so, but only lasted for a couple of days?

Most of us in A.A. made all kinds of promises to ourselves and to our families. We could not keep them. Then we came to A.A. A.A. said: "Just try not to drink today." (If you do not drink today, you cannot get drunk today.)

2. Do you wish people would mind their own business about your drinking-- stop telling you what to do?

In A.A. we do not tell anyone to do anything. We just talk about our own drinking, the trouble we got into, and how we stopped. We will be glad to help you, if you want us to.

3. Have you ever switched from one kind of drink to another in the hope that this would keep you from getting drunk?

We tried all kinds of ways. We made our drinks weak. Or just drank beer. Or we did not drink cocktails. Or only drank on weekends. You name it, we tried it. But if we drank anything with alcohol in it, we usually got drunk eventually.

4. Have you had to have an eye-opener upon awakening during the past year?

Do you need a drink to get started, or to stop shaking? This is a pretty sure sign that you are not drinking "socially."

5. Do you envy people who can drink without getting into trouble?

At one time or another, most of us have wondered why we were not like most people, who really can take it or leave it.

6. Have you had problems connected with drinking during the past year?

Be honest! Doctors say that if you have a problem with alcohol and keep on drinking, it will get worse -- never better. Eventually, you will die, or end up in an institution for the rest of your life. The only hope is to stop drinking.

7. Has your drinking caused trouble at home?

Most said that it was the people or problems at home that made us drink. We could not see that our drinking just made everything worse. It never solved problems anywhere or anytime.

8. Do you ever try to get "extra" drinks at a party because you do not get enough?

Most of us used to have a "few" before we started out if we thought it was going to be that kind of party. And if drinks were not served fast enough, we would go some place else to get more.

9. Do you tell yourself you can stop drinking any time you want to, even though you keep getting drunk when you don't mean to?

Many of us kidded ourselves into thinking that we drank because we wanted to. After we came into A.A., we found out that once we started to drink, we couldn't stop.

10. Have you missed days of work or school because of drinking?

Many of us admit now that we "called in sick" lots of times when the truth was that we were hung-over or on a drunk.

11. Do you have "blackouts"?

A "blackout" is when we have been drinking hours or days which we cannot remember. When we came to A.A., we found out that this is a pretty sure sign of alcoholic drinking.

12. Have you ever felt that your life would be better if you did not drink?

Many of us started to drink because drinking made life seem better, at least for a while. By the time we got into A.A., we felt trapped. We were drinking to live and living to drink. We were sick and tired of being sick and tired.

Wow!! Drink for days at a time? or have blackouts? I have never! That's a little overboard. I have never missed work. People who don't drink do comment...that's a bit much uh?? Yeh my tolerance is higher then yours....duh:laughing7: I already have a temper from hell, drinking doesn't seem to change it...That's why I have a heavy bag:icon_thumright: There are a lot of strange questions in that "test" I drink to get a good buzz, sometimes a little more. Maybe I'm one of those high flatulating alkys.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OV,

I guess everyone has their own tolerance to substances.....some can handle it and lead productive lives whereas others fall into a hole that they have a hard time crawling out of.

Everyone has to find their own comfort zone in dealing with their demons whatever they may be.

Regards + HH

Bill

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ov! I never missed work either! But there were some days I wished I would have! Head pounding, Queezzy ,staying up till 2 or 3 Am to be at work at 6, out in the sun with a sledge or jack hammer beating on concrete, or finishing it! OHhhhh, bad times! :laughing7: That was another reason It never caught hold of me! I could not handle the head aches or the next day! If I were to get drunk tonight I would be sick for 3 days. The older I got the less I could take!

Last edited:

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OV,

I guess everyone has their own tolerance to substances.....some can handle it and lead productive lives whereas others fall into a hole that they have a hard time crawling out of.

Everyone has to find their own comfort zone in dealing with their demons whatever they may be.

Regards + HH

Bill

Makes sense. A friend of mine told me I was a "maintenance" drinker Drink the same amount...give or take..to get that same "feeling" Lately I have been taking 3, 4 days off, in a row because the amount of alcohol I was/am drinking can't be healthy!
Tipping the scales at 290 pounds, having a high tolerance and being of Irish, Scottish and English decent are all factors. Genetics you see

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OV,

A friend of mine has been on the wagon for about 25 years or so....he's a world class political cartoonist and when I asked him why he quit he said he'd go without drinking for months on end and go on a binge every so often....he thought he had things under control.

One morning he woke up in a hotel room in Cleveland and didn't have a clue how he got there so that's what made him decide to quit.

Regards + HH

Bill

Last edited:
OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree! The humor comment, I didn't really explain. But was not really directed at you personally. It's the titles and "problems" stuck or forced on people? I have some close friends that drink a lot of beer! Probably a 12 to 30 pack almost every night. They toke, take pills or whatever else occasionally, I'm trusted by them and don't look down on them, so I hear all the details and their thoughts on it.. And they are functional! They go to work. They take care of their families. They don't feel it's a problem. Some are wealthy! Now, most of society,laws,etc...Claims this is a disease and a problem. Well, maybe to some! Others are fine with it, their families are fine with it. So, where's the problem? I had one friend tell me...."Meetings are for alcoholics and drug addicts with a problem, I'm a drunk and an occasional user with no problem." Sounded stupid to me at first...But after I thought about it, I thought, he's right! It's not really a problem unless he feels it is! And as long as he is functioning in his home or society? Who cares, what choice he makes.

I might have missed the point completely. But I agree with Jeffof pa. It is a HUGE money maker!(the whole subject) In all kinds of directions!

Just Signed on & saw your post & have not read any after.

You know ,it's a fine line (the addiction ,everyday Functional User).& The way our local Court System 'the only one I really know much about) Sentences People is messed up.
I see what U mean about titles as well. We 'People' can be awful judge mental and Hypocritical .

Like you I know people who Drink everyday 'the ones who keep it under a 12 pack of Pint a day usually can be functional'
but Still have 1 or 2 nights a year where things get out of control.

I also have friends & know people who have "Toked" for 30 some years Did for twenty myself.

Tho I don't really hang with many of my friends from the teen & twenty's ( It was likely the crowd I hung with), about 70% hit the Street drugs ..Caine Mostly in 80-90's , Then the Friggin ,Ice 2002-2007 ,Pills 08 -13 , Now Heroin has taken over.
Most of my friends , the ones I see on FB & stuff seem to have "got Strait or Control' of the Hard Drugs by now (early to late 40's). b/t Most still drink (casually) or Toke if they can.
Actually none of my close friends have got on "H" but Some of their Kids have & A-LOT of their friends.
Sorry for my Rant, I'm talking Locally (N, GA).
Heck most Folks I know In Cobb, Paulding , Cherokee, Douglas ,Bartow & Fulton Counties Take some sort of pill for Some reason 'Talking Controlled Substances', many Went out of Control & the ones my age IMO. About half have got Control , 25% Still Abuse & 25% go the Methadone Route.

I never was one who could Control My Drinking ,Hence I finally Quit, I never say never again cause I quit for 2 half years back in the late 90's but Started up again in late 99 & Had been to Jail 3 times Wrecked 2 cars + other Crap by May 2001.

I posted this cause I had my last drink on Sept 12 02 but I still Take Xanax everyday Tho I don't abuse It.
Just wondered how people in AA would see it ,( when I go get a yearly 'Chip' like I have since 10 years No Booze.)
? Does my Sobriety still count cause I take Xanax Everyday.
To be honest , I really don't care much what they think, Cause I & my Family know where the PROBLEM Came.
Just don't want to step on anybody's toes (to speak) who are not only trying to not drink but not take/Abuse Benzos (Anxiety Pill.s) anymore.

Just my thought that I have had from time to time.
Peace
Davers

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use to drink a lot myself in the military and in my single days, had black outs, major hangovers and so on. Was never a mean drunk so no issue there. I still have an occasional drink but nothing like before, I may have one drink one week, none for 3 weeks then have a couple the following week... I haven't been "drunk" in probably 3 years now.... Just don't want the hangovers any more..... If I am driving my limit is 2 and I haven't broke that limit in over 10 years... If wife drives then my limit is 3...

I know people who AA helped greatly and more power to them and I support them...

Davers, congrats on your approaching 13 year anniversary...:icon_thumright:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread