OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was never much of a drinker as far as on a daily basis. But I used to go to the bars on payday for years. I was a weekend warrior. I have a high tolerance level, so when I drank, I drank enough for several people. The way I saw it was, there is no sense in drinking if you aren't gonna get drunk, that's what it's for right? Nowadays, I haven't had a drink in well over a decade except maybe a beer once or twice on special occasions. It wasn't really a conscience decision, it was just something that happened. When I quit going to the bars on Friday and/or Saturday nights, I quit drinking. I didn't miss it. To be honest, I couldn't stand the hangovers anymore. One night of drinking took 3 days to recuperate it seemed like.

Not to mention... I have watched nearly every person in my small circle of friends from 20-25 years ago die from mostly alcohol related problems over the last 8-10 years. One of those friends is sitting in a Fl. state prison as we speak because he chose to get behind the wheel drunk and kill his passenger when he wrecked. Another one died in prison a few years ago, after being in there for approx. 20 years because of dui related deaths. Another was killed in a head on collision while driving drunk. Yet another one was drunk one night and decided to take a sawed off 16 gauge shotgun to his mouth. Three more died from cirrhosis due to drinking. I'm glad I gave it up when I did. Binge drinking or not, I'd probably be battling health or liver problems today if I hadn't, because of it.

I wasn't intentionally bashing AA in my earlier comment. I was just stating how I felt about it personally. Like someone else stated, if it helps one person then it's a good thing. It's just not for me.

Man an all to Familiar Story (all your Friends/Party buddies).
Glad it never got to be an issue for you.

I hate Alcohol..Maybe it's the Cherokee Indian In me , Def, 'Fire Water' in my case.

Booze is legal & it & bad Decisions are the cause of so my problems . IMO
&
I have Several Legal Restrictions on my life cause I got caught (While Drunk) with a Joint 2 times in my life.
My wifes Cousin (who I never Met) Shot himself While Drunk.
Makes me wonder how many people have Killed them selves while in a Blackout. Hence I was 5 years No Drinking before I got another Gun. & Would get rid of them if I ever Started Drinking again. The Wife has this mindset as well.
I see why it's also called "Spirits" .
Davers

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No Eating Bar's For Me , But I know many who do.

I take it as prescribed & always have some left over.. for JIC

Don't wanna B that messed up, Cannot get nothing done in that state (hard to do anything anyway).

Really can not understand Why? I don't Abuse them cause I did Everything else.

Thanks for your Reply.
Davers

timemachine

Apr 8, 2015
Seattle
Detector(s) used
GPZ7000 / Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess this qualified as an AA meeting...
Can I get my court slip signed? :occasion14:

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was prescribed opiate painkillers for nearly a decade for chronic pain from stenosis in my neck.
The physical issue is that the tiny holes that the nerves run through were calcifying shut, and pinching the nerves.
Hurts a good 6-7 (pain scale of 10) every day, 24 hours a day. I got so tired of looking forward to that next pill that I tried to quit cold turkey,,,HA ! no way.
The first time I quit, it took 3 weeks of hard withdrawl,,and yes, ALL those stories are true.
But anyway back to AA.
What I have found is that I do NOT care, at all for the "religious" overtones of this type of "rehab" When I first consulted with them, on a recommendation, I felt very "pushed" to trust their way.
The strength to overcome ANY addiction totally is in the hands of the addict. You can go to the best facility in the world and still fail. YOU,,as an addict must make HUGE changes in your entire life in order to be successful in stopping.
I actually did a lot of research into MY issues and the documented successful methods of treating addictions similar to mine.
I decided to go with the Suboxin route. Taking the lowest dosage available, 2x a day. Lowered it by half every month, and now I am totally off of it. Both the opiate based painkillers and the Suboxin.
Keep yourself occupied, do not dwell on the issue, do not feel sorry for yourself and as hard as it is. Keep away from friends who also use those drugs.
For me, that was the hard part, (very close friends for decades) but since I have been clean now I have resumed those friendships. And my friends totally understood and supported those actions.

I guess what I am trying to say is that the ONLY person that can do anything is YOU. YOU are the one with the issue and must make the hard choices needed for a successful recovery.

One funny thing I DID notice about AA is that there was a lot of "fooling around" and a lot of members actually ended up as drinking buddies.
Anyway,,I'm always willing to talk to anyone about my experience and the mental crap it took to get over this crap.
Hell,,my own doctor AND the doctor who prescribed the suboxin QUESTIONED my desire to quit. They wanted me to stay on it.
THAT BLEW MY MIND !! I vehemently expressed a true desire to get off and was obliged with the tools and willpower to succeed.

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was prescribed opiate painkillers for nearly a decade for chronic pain from stenosis in my neck.
The physical issue is that the tiny holes that the nerves run through were calcifying shut, and pinching the nerves.
Hurts a good 6-7 (pain scale of 10) every day, 24 hours a day. I got so tired of looking forward to that next pill that I tried to quit cold turkey,,,HA ! no way.
The first time I quit, it took 3 weeks of hard withdrawl,,and yes, ALL those stories are true.
But anyway back to AA.
What I have found is that I do NOT care, at all for the "religious" overtones of this type of "rehab" When I first consulted with them, on a recommendation, I felt very "pushed" to trust their way.
The strength to overcome ANY addiction totally is in the hands of the addict. You can go to the best facility in the world and still fail. YOU,,as an addict must make HUGE changes in your entire life in order to be successful in stopping.
I actually did a lot of research into MY issues and the documented successful methods of treating addictions similar to mine.
I decided to go with the Suboxin route. Taking the lowest dosage available, 2x a day. Lowered it by half every month, and now I am totally off of it. Both the opiate based painkillers and the Suboxin.
Keep yourself occupied, do not dwell on the issue, do not feel sorry for yourself and as hard as it is. Keep away from friends who also use those drugs.
For me, that was the hard part, (very close friends for decades) but since I have been clean now I have resumed those friendships. And my friends totally understood and supported those actions.

I guess what I am trying to say is that the ONLY person that can do anything is YOU. YOU are the one with the issue and must make the hard choices needed for a successful recovery.

One funny thing I DID notice about AA is that there was a lot of "fooling around" and a lot of members actually ended up as drinking buddies.
Anyway,,I'm always willing to talk to anyone about my experience and the mental crap it took to get over this crap.
Hell,,my own doctor AND the doctor who prescribed the suboxin QUESTIONED my desire to quit. They wanted me to stay on it.
THAT BLEW MY MIND !! I vehemently expressed a true desire to get off and was obliged with the tools and willpower to succeed.

Great post , and appreciate your honesty.
Tho I am a Christian ,I don't think Jesus Should be Pushed on people.

I also agree one has To WANT to Quit, & be ready to 110%.
Good you Chose Suboxin over M-done ..IMO
Sad to hear your Dr,/S Did not want you to Quit, (Seems they don't have Faith in many to stay Clean).

Def, Glad to hear of Your Success in over Coming Opiates & Hope your pain Remains Manageable.

Good luck
There has to be more than Shot Gun Brass in those C PA Woods...

Last edited:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
self abuse and bad habits seem to haunt some of us all our lives. im fighting with myself over chronic pain and the meds the doctors are so quick to prescribe. im a veteran and there was a time in my life i could not just drink one drink. now im in bad shape and need these meds for pain. scares me to actually take em at all. one day i woke up, getting a buzz just isnt for me for many years. aa didnt work for me, came around on my own many years ago. not sure we ever get cured, just have to abstain. keep your loved ones close and if you wanna keep em around, abstain.

aditemonroe15

Greenie
Sep 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AA meeting is one good choice of people who wants to get inspirations from others who had a success to share. This will help them at least to get inspired and try something they can to get back to their life as a sober. I’ve attended AA meetings many times before I went for my rehab at an alcohol treatment center at Toronto called Bellwood Health Services. If anyone who doesn’t feel any improvement after attending such meetings then for them rehab is the only choice left. They have to admit themselves that they are addicted and then start their rehab asap.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
answering your Title alone.

Not Very Much.

Yuppie B.S.

No I am not an Alcoholic, I suppose at one point I could have been.
Had my ability to tell myself enough is enough not been there.

I've only been addicted to one substance. Cigarettes.
and since I was able to quit them, I'm not even sure I was fully addicted there either.

What do I think about AA ?
the same thing I think of all Support Groups. a Joke !
an excuse for people to get together, cry & blame others for their deficiencies.

Like it or not that is what I think of AA

The biggest joke they get up and make a speech that every time starts with
"Hi I'm _____ & I'm an Alcoholic" even if everyone there already knows them :icon_scratch:Sounds more like they are Proud & have bigger problems to me.

I found the easiest way to quit something was to forget it exists for awhile.

My guess AA is Big Business too . Big $$$ for someone
AA is for quitters! Never give up!:laughing7::tongue3::tongue3::tongue3:

gotigermonk

Nov 6, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as you are taking the medication as prescribed and under the care of a doctor, then the opinion of AA members is irrelevant. They are not doctors, nurses or psychiatrists. You do not need to share this information with them. If they want to smoke cigarettes and ruin their health, well really it's none of their business. Congratulations on 13 years sober!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as you are taking the medication as prescribed and under the care of a doctor, then the opinion of AA members is irrelevant. They are not doctors, nurses or psychiatrists. You do not need to share this information with them. If they want to smoke cigarettes and ruin their health, well really it's none of their business. Congratulations on 13 years sober!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A Very late Thank You.
Davers

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see it like this,
And I have had MANY demons in my life.
This is just MY personal outtake on this subject.
No matter what group you join to "get help" NOTHING will work until YOU fully decide that NOW is the time to quit whatever demon is/has taken control of your life.
I have (what I have been told anyway) an "addictive" personality". (Do lots like me or what? Haven't figgered that out yet)
So I am "prone" to repetitive negative self destructive behaviors. (sure was fun tho)
EVERY demon that gave me issues is gone except for nicotine. This IS the absolute worst "addiction" IMO.
NO ONE can do anything but YOU when it comes to this. You can go to every meeting of every group out there and then join those same members for a drink to discuss quitting at the club.
That is just how I see it,,, sorry if it offends anyone but it IS the truth.
And those 30 day "vacations". I have never done those yet but I have heard from very reliable sources that a LOT of brain washing type of stuff is done to break those initiators that cause relapse.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Hmm... been a Drug/Alcohol Counselor at a PRIVATE Treatment Center; been secondary Sponsor of AA in a AA Group Program at a MAX Security Prison in Va. & I drank only socially in my youth. The SECRET is just ONE THING... have a SPONSOR/MENTOR who has been there/done that... just ONE, who YOU can trust, talk to, etc. I was a M.Ed. (counseling); co-worker "Gene" was an Alcoholic & "clean" for MANY years... the "patients" responded BETTER to Gene b/c of HIS experiences & now, being Sober. Try it "kicking ciggies"... from someone, who has stopped smoking, successfully. HH! Good Luck!

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm just re scanning the thread , & again iMO your exactly right about "NOTHING will work until YOU fully decide that NOW is the Time"

I have the "Addictive Personality" I call the Elvis Attitude.

I'm obsessed ,addicted to relic hunting/ detecting at this time. 'better than booze'.

I still take certain med's but don't abuse them, Still crave a Jack & Coke every now and then, but That's life.

Also to my Lung Dr's Chagrin , I still smoke about a pack a Day.

Hang in there.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even if someone decides to quit most can't by theirselves which is where AA comes in, it is a support group...

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Scotter1,

I don't really believe one size fits all when it comes to these issues....a little story for you.

About 20 years ago a chap I knew was a big time booze artist and on heavy drugs and joined AA....my wife was out of town on business so I went to a sports bar to have a bite to eat and sip on a glass or 2 of beer or wine.

This chap was there with his mentor at the next table and he was dumping on me about drinking meanwhile him and his buddy were oding on coffees and chain smoking.....not sure the AA approach was doing them much good other than switching from one addiction to another...

Regards + HH

Bill

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scotter please re-read our rules, your post was out of line....

Last edited:
OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scotter1,

I don't really believe one size fits all when it comes to these issues....a little story for you.

About 20 years ago a chap I knew was a big time booze artist and on heavy drugs and joined AA....my wife was out of town on business so I went to a sports bar to have a bite to eat and sip on a glass or 2 of beer or wine.

This chap was there with his mentor at the next table and he was dumping on me about drinking meanwhile him and his buddy were oding on coffees and chain smoking.....not sure the AA approach was doing them much good other than switching from one addiction to another...

Regards + HH

Bill

Good point bill.
Most have some type of addiction.

I missed Scotters Post but think his was being a But ****.

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well
It's almost been another year of No Spirits & Good Finds.
So I guess Ill go get my chip soon ,as it has been a personal tradition since the 10 year mark , now for another Cig, & a Coke.
Davers

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Paul Bishop Sr., a friend of mine for 35 years, was an avid AA member and went to many meetings to make coffee. A good organization, IMO.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions