Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Found something a bit more unusual yesterday.

In the wet sand at about 4" deep a strong signal...landed THIS in my scoop.

Called my local police station this morning and they sent a car to pick it up. I have a report number but the officer thought the gun would be destroyed after all investigation about it is through.

I would like to restore it...it's stainless steel and the black crud comes off easily in a vinegar bath. I'm wondering if anyone knows the specific legal issues about having it returned to me? I would definitely have it disabled and keep as a collectible and possible display it in a frame on the wall. The last photo shows what it would look like restored.

Attachments

• 38 r sm.jpg
    38 r sm.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 5,451
  • 38 l sm.jpg
    38 l sm.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 3,958
  • ROSSI462.jpg
    ROSSI462.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 4,499
Upvote 0

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After the police file the report you can try and take claim of it. I would ask the police or a lawyer if that would be possible maybe not but who knows. :dontknow:

Keep @ it and HH !! :D ;D

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gun laws vary from state to state. Assuming it was not used in a crime and held for evidence, or if there is not a lost/stolen report on file, you may be able to claim it. It's important that you send a registered return receipt letter to the head of the law enforcement law agency that picked it up stating that you want to claim it if it is not contriband. Here in my jurisdiction there is no need to disable it to claim it. Owning an unregistered handgun is accepted as being a constitutional right here in Oklahoma. Having a carry permit would strengthen my claim if I had found it. Good luck and keep us informed. Monty

AUinAZ

Tenderfoot
Sep 30, 2008
Nice little belly gun....re-claiming it from the PD in new york..........good luck....you have a up hill battle in an unfriendly gun owner state.....now if you found it in Az, I would say your odds of getting it back would be greatly improved, providing it wasn't stolen or used in a murder....as long as the guns serial numbers come back clean....here position is 9/10ths of the law, finders keepers...
though you did do the right thing by turning it in.....good job

HH

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a little head knocker ;D at close range it will do some damage i carried one in my head band on my helmet over in Vietnam i think it was a 971 model ? back in 1968 it cost 40.00 new Uncle Sam provided the ammo like they say its better then nothing as a last resort, i gave it away when i left , you should try to keep it restore it makes a good conversation piece HH Jim

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm just wondering....would turning this in to the police merit honorable mention?

Des from down under

Jun 26, 2009
taupo
Detector(s) used
garett 1500 gti and T2 ltd, garrett propointer
what a find..sure hope the feds let you have it back..great talking point on the wall..

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Great find!! I know in Oregon, they destroy all firearms confiscated, found or otherwise taken into custody by the police. IT toattally sucks! But you did the right thing , I think, by turning it in.

bula

Mar 13, 2008
southern utah
Detector(s) used
White MXT
Unless there is a specific law in your state related to firearms it would be no different than if you found a diamond ring. It would be considered lost property. If an owner can not be found it is yours. The only thing that makes a firearm different is if they can trace it to a crime.

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice little carry piece. I would try to get it back then I'd have a smithy work on it. Then I'd get good with it.

Hope things work out for you, the way you want them to of course. :headbang:

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
If your hubby comes too early, then that's his problem ;D............NGE

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What they should do is run the serial number to try and track down the owner. If the owner can't be located then it should be released back to you barring any (unconstitutional) laws that the State would need to follow. Seems too me that a FFL holder could log the find in to their book and then transfer to you (at a charge of course).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread