Looking for silver, but I keep finding . . .

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
GOLD!!
The sun decided to make a rare appearance for a few minutes a couple of days ago :sunny: so decided to get out for a short hunt at a park behind my house and test out a jewelery program I made on my F75 LTD, and I found this chunky 2 gram 14K gold earring (I've found gold rings that weighed less):

14Kearring.jpg

This morning I met up with Jim (time4me) at a SF park. I was working my way around a big old tree, and got a good solid sounding, repeatable zinc penny signal (also came in as a zinc on Jim's E-Trac when we tested it). Usually on my machine if a zinc has been in the ground for any amount of time, it's bouncy, especially the more corroded it gets, so I thought it had a good chance at being a wheat or even an injun, so I decided to dig it up, but instead of a penny out pops this beauty :headbang:

22KmensRing.jpg

It's not marked, but it looked to have a high karat content and with the Chinese or Japanese signet, I figured it had a good chance at being 18K, 22K or 24K. When I got it home, I first tested it with the 18K acid test and it passed with flying colors, then hit it with the 22K test and again passed with flying colors :hello2: Unfortunately I don't have a 24K test, but I suspect there's a good chance it is. It weights in a just slightly under 7 grams.

So seateds were not in the cards this weekend ::) but if I have to suffer with gold instead, I think I can live with that :laughing7: Jim found a nice 1906 Barber dime, which was a great find at a hard to hunt park (clad was turning up at 8-10" :violent1:

Thanks for looking and H.H.,
Brian

Upvote 0

Toby1858

Mar 21, 2009
Springfield Mo.
Detector(s) used
Whites m6
Thats odd it hit at the zinc range, I rarely dig zinc penny signals but, guess I should start! Congrats on the gold!!!!

juju

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Grey Ghost Headphones, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WTG I have dug quite a few pieces of gold in the zinc range on the mxt. Good reason to dig it all for sure. Keep it comin.
:icon_pirat:
JuJu

OP
OP
Cal_Cobra

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
I think the key take away (for me at least) with it being a zinc penny signal, was how solid and repeatable it was vs the bounciness of an actual zinc penny...so if you get a solid zinc signal, start digging, it could be a wheat penny, an indian head penny or GOLD :thumbsup:

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
That ring is sweet Brian, and it was really fun being there with you when you found it. I'm glad you got it back into shape on your ring mandrel.

I've noticed that the higher karat gold comes in at the penny range on my E-Trac. I found a 24K ring that gave me a solid 41 conductivity on the E-Trac, and my own 18K "grey" gold wedding band comes in right in that zinc penny range. I am sure I've skipped over some gold rings in the past, when you are getting hundreds of signals in a park in that zinc penny range, I end up ignoring them and listening for that sweet high silver tone.

I hope we can hook up tomorrow for a beach hunt!

Jim

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You were looking for seated.....and found gold. Doggone it.
Well, sell the gold, and buy more seated then you would have ever found.
"When life hands you a lemon........set up a lemonade stand, and make a fortune!" :thumbsup:

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cal_Cobra said:
I think the key take away (for me at least) with it being a zinc penny signal, was how solid and repeatable it was vs the bounciness of an actual zinc penny...so if you get a solid zinc signal, start digging, it could be a wheat penny, an indian head penny or GOLD :thumbsup:
Super find!! The only Injun I ever dug up was a solid and repeatable zincoln signature.....The only reason I dug it was because the place I was hunting had two slabs from the 30s or 40s and I had already pulled a 1918 and 1920 Merc from there. The Injun was 1883.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread