bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know if anyone has posted about these yet, but I found these while shopping at IKEA today (incredible store btw). Thought this was halfway there to being a cheap, ready made sand scoop. Technically its called a kitchen utensil rack. They are only $5.99 at IKEA. Just weld on a handle or have a welding-skilled friend make one and you're good to go.

Attachments

• sandscoop.jpg
    sandscoop.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 1,634

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bearbqd said:
Don't know if anyone has posted about these yet, but I found these while shopping at IKEA today (incredible store btw). Thought this was halfway there to being a cheap, ready made sand scoop. Technically its called a kitchen utensil rack. They are only $5.99 at IKEA. Just weld on a handle or have a welding-skilled friend make one and you're good to go.

Picture could be deceiving but it appears narrow, and the holes are too small to sift sand efficently, the holes would need to be larger.....

OP
OP
bearbqd

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its not the size of a large sand scoop. The hole is 4 3/4"diameter, its 7 inches long, and the holes are 10/32 ( a little over a 1/4"). I think it'll work pretty decently.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bearbqd said:
Its not the size of a large sand scoop. The hole is 4 3/4"diameter, its 7 inches long, and the holes are 10/32 ( a little over a 1/4"). I think it'll work pretty decently.

Not trying to discourage you at all.

I do a lot of beach hunting, 1/4 inch holes drain sand very slowly, holes in my scoop are 5/8" wide, twice the size of those, with aluminum mesh on the bottom 1/4 of the scoop to catch earring studs. My scoop is 12 " long, 8.5" wide... I would not want to hunt sand with holes that are 10/32 (5/16"), take too much time to drain....When beach hunting you want to get to your target as quick as possible and move on to the next target... I am sure a few new hunters could use it, but they will quickly find it is slow and want to move on to a better scoop.

Good luck and good hunting........

OP
OP
bearbqd

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:
bearbqd said:

I do a lot of beach hunting, 1/4 inch holes drain sand very slowly, holes in my scoop are 5/8" wide, twice the size of those, with aluminum mesh on the bottom 1/4 of the scoop to catch earring studs. My scoop is 12 " long, 8.5" wide... I would not want to hunt sand with holes that are 10/32 (5/16"), take too much time to drain....When beach hunting you want to get to your target as quick as possible and move on to the next target... I am sure a few new hunters could use it, but they will quickly find it is slow and want to move on to a better scoop.

It might be a good starting point and drill a lot of the holes out bigger. Maybe drill pretty big ones on the solid areas. Wuddya think?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bearbqd said:
Treasure_Hunter said:
bearbqd said:

It might be a good starting point and drill a lot of the holes out bigger. Maybe drill pretty big ones on the solid areas. Wuddya think?

If I was trying to make a scoop out of it I would drill all holes but a few rows on the cornor and one row on bottom that will become the bottom side adjacent to handle to catch any earring studs. Drill them at least 5/8" in diameter which is smaller then a dime.

For me the scoop would still be too small, under 5 inches wide, but with larger holes it would drain faster. The faster you can recover a target found, the more targets you can hunt.... With my 8.5 inch wide scoop I usually get target in first scoop unless buried deep.

Once again not trying to discourage you at all, I started with small scoop and found I wasted my money, both on the size, and the money spent. I figured a $50, 5 inch medium handle scoop was a good scoop. I was warned before I bought it to invest in a good scoop, or I would be wasting my money and looking for a scoop again within a few months. I found out I was wrong, it was too small and broke it inside a month.

Good luck and good hunting......

outdoors

Jun 23, 2008
el cajon, california
Detector(s) used
GTI2500, GTAX550, MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO,
PROPOINTER, GARRETT AT GOLD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the holes look like that they would do the just fine.. I had to put a 1/4 screen at the bottom
of my sand scoop because I had studded ear rings fall threw the larger holes and almost
lost the find, the sand goes thru slower but I don't lose small finds anymore :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread