probe / pinpointer

Mezrein503

Jul 7, 2010
Hillboro
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lo all, was wanting to get everyone's opinion / advice on a new pinpointer. I recently just upgraded from a bounty hunter tracker 2 detector to a Fisher F5, and wanted to upgrade my functional yet not optimal harbor freight pinpointer. I don't want to spend a lot, in fact I want to spend less than 100 on one, but I want a good quality one to go with my excellent quality F5 (though I've yet to get a good day of detecting in, damned Oregon rain!!) So let the comments fly, don't hold back and let me know why the probe / pinpointer you're recommending is so good. :)
HH to those who aren't rained out for the last 3 months solid!!

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My suggestion is to go with the Garrett ProPointer. It is slightly more than $100 but it is definitely worth the money. If you buy something less than $100 you will be kicking yourself because it won't be much better than your Harbor Freight model. The Harbor Freight is actually pretty good for the money. It's just harder to use because it isn't very ergonomic and doesn't beep faster as you get closer to the target.

If you are willing to spend just a little more money you will end up getting a MUCH better pinpointer. The ProPointer is a great value at about $130.

OP
OP
M

Mezrein503

Jul 7, 2010
Hillboro
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always see people getting the Garrett. What is it about this pinpointer that makes it so great?

Shilo

Nov 5, 2010
Mezrein503 said:
I always see people getting the Garrett. What is it about this pinpointer that makes it so great?

1. Its ability tell you how close you are to the target by vibrating and sounding off faster the closer you are.
2. Picks up a target at 4 inches.
3. You can de-tune it so if you still can't see the target (covered with dirt etc), just turn it off and on again when it is sounding off and it can pinpoint a target as small as ear stud or clothing rivet. Helps when searching a narrow hole to see which side the target is in.
4. Its rugged construction. You can drop it, throw it, bang down a plug with it, scrap away with it (has a built in scraper on one side), dunk it in water (watch the speaker hole though).
5. Comfortable to use - just the right size and weight and no probe sticking out to get in the way.
6. It has a nifty light that allows you to see into those deep holes!
7. Battery lasts for ages.

Other detectors may have one or two of the points above but I have only heard of the Pro-pointer as having all of them in one unit. Its my next best purchase for the hobby beside the detector itself. Got a Automax V4 as a free gift but the V4 is just no comparison to the Pro-Pointer.

OP
OP
M

Mezrein503

Jul 7, 2010
Hillboro
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that seems quite impressive. :) Thanks for all the info, pretty much just sold me on getting one. :)

slarter

Dec 23, 2009
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
I concur with everything that Shilo said. :icon_thumleft:

I love my Garrett PinPointer and wonder how I got along without it. ;D

montypyfly

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2010
Garrett, for sure. Last year I did all the searching and research and it won hands down. I love mine.
I also have the HF one. $15 and it works great for the secondary detector I have for tag along friends. but I sure wouldn't poke it into the soft ground, or use it to dig around in the sand or wood chips like I do with the Garrett. And the HF one just beeps (well, mine vibrates now that I added an old cell phone vibrator to it), but it doesn't give any hint of how close you are to the target like the Garrett's tone and vibrate speed do.

benmmaddog

May 17, 2011
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright: Thanks , I am looking into buying a pinpointer. Just got my First metal detector Saturday the 14th of May

underarock

Mar 27, 2011
Southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CZ-70
Primary Interest:
Other
Its designed for very aggressive ground searching and it is very well designed.
Its always with me.

rey914v8

Mar 25, 2011
Silicon Valley
Detector(s) used
Silver umax + 12x10
I have the cheap one to, it works but just got the pro pointer in the mail. first impressions, nice feel comes with holster,vibrates,auto adjust. If I could put it on a long stick I wouldn't need a Md, detector. I like it!!

brucebob

Jun 14, 2011
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
I have a cheap pinpointer that came with my metal detector and I hate the stupid thing. I am going to purchase a Garrett Pro Pointer as soon as I have enough money saved up though. Heard nothing but good things about it.

digging41

Sep 7, 2008
One of the best things I ever bought for this obsession, I mean hobby :laughing7: If everything was built as good, you do definetly get what you pay for.

Digging 41

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Garrett Propointer and love it. :icon_thumleft: Hunted for two years without a pinpointer and now could not hunt without one. I put a small piece of electrical tape over the speaker so it is quieter in the field. Don't like to draw attention to myself.

Good luck and HH.

kshollywood

Jul 15, 2010
Brandon,ms
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS WS5 with 11" coil,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Whites VX3, whites DFX, MINELAB xterra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Go to woodland detectors, they have been the easiest and best to work with

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just be aware that the Propointer has range limits. I have found them to be within an inch or so.
The Propointer is a dream to use within its capabilities. I use one in conjunction with a Pistol Probe.

A prime example yesterday. Pistol Probe gave a signal that indicated about 3" down by the sound. I cut a 3x4 plug and turned on the Propointer. Sure enough there was a dime about another 1/2 inch down. I then searched the hole and the plug with the Propointer with no hits. I put the plug back in and hit it again with the Pistol Probe. It sounded off.

I cut the plug in half and it turns out there was a quarter in the middle of the plug that the Propointer was unable to detect. If I had used the big detector I would have had to get up and down another time and search for the find. I am in my 60's and the ups and downs need to be kept at a minimum.

I did solve the button problem with the Pistol Probe. I guerilla glued a button the same diameter on top of the factory button. That made it high enough that I could press with my gloves on. Then I put a large button in the thumb of my glove. Now I can press that darned button with ease and without causing my thumbs to go numb!

Tom

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions