Review of AW-2200 lith-ion battery offered by New England Detectors

Dirty Money

Sep 21, 2010
Saginaw, MI
Detector(s) used
White's MX5 w/ 8X6 SEF, Garrett Pro-Pointer, X-Terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I promised I'D post impressions of the AW-2200 after having a chance to use it for a while. I hunt with a White's DFX. Love the machine. Hate the way it eats batteries - both the factor rechargeables and AA's. A's last 8-10 hours (just over a days hunt) in my machine. The factory rechargeable will last about 6 hours. For me, that's just not enough.

So...I broke down and ordered the Lith-Ion battery NED was promoting. First off, at 2200 mAH, the battery meets factory specs. Second, it's less expensive than buying the White's system - and I'm cheap :laughing7: Third, I was promised easier installation and removal - I'm lazy, too. :laughing7: And, fourth, I was told two hour charging time.

Well...about a week ago I came home from a shortened hunt (damn battery pack crapped out after six hours again) and found the package from NED. Finally, something went right for the day. I set up the charger, plugged the battery in and went to work on things around the house. (Honey do projects are the price I pay for my detecting addiction.) At just under two hours, I walked by the charging battery and the thing was fully charged! Like any new toy, I had to see what I really had. I opened my DFX and quickly and easily put the new battery in. Turned the machine on, and 12.9 Volts. That's 0.1 volts under factory max spec. Perfect! I notified Dale at NED that the battery had arrived and took care of some other projects.

Next morning I was out for a four hour hunt. When I finished, the battery was at 12.7 volts. Next day, another four hours with the battery finishing at 12.5 volts. Then a job came in and it was two days before i could get out again. That scared me, because, with my old packs, it would be recharge time. Not this time. I've run two more four hour hunts plus a hour and a half hunt this afternoon. Present voltage: 11.9. At this rate, the battery will go for another two and a half to three weeks before needing a recharge!

Happy? You bet! How impressive is this system? If I had to choose between the AW-2200 battery and, say, my SEF coil( which I love and stays on the detector all the time)...I would give up the coil! Being able to hunt without time restrictions is awesome. And, when this first charge wears out, two hours on the charger(that's coffee, breakfast, checking the news and weather) and I'm ready to go at sunrise. :icon_sunny:

For anyone using the Spectra Series (V3i and VX3) or the E-Series (DFX/DFX 300, MXT/MXT Pro, and M6), this battery and charger system upgrade deserves serious consideration. On top of that, Andrew and Dale at NED are a first class act.

HH

Dave
Dirty Money

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post, I have a dfx and a 209 V3.I think i'll look into that battery.The V3 eats batterys faster than a DFX.Also my Dfx is for sale if you know anyone that wants a used one.It'sgot a DD coil koss ul30 head phones 600 cash.:leprechaun-hat:

leddel

Jun 30, 2006
connecticut
i agree with your assesment , i can get around 35 to 38 hours of hunt time on my dfx with one charge from this battery . i also use it in my tdi sl ( that machine can eat batteries like their candy ) and this will last a whole day on a full charge . the car charging adapter is great if you happen to hit multiple spots or you happen to forget to charge the battery.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread