Convert a bulb planter into a plug cutter

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
photo (19).JPG By cutting off the end of a bulb planter the 2 inch plug can be enlarged to 2.75 inches.. I ground teeth into the bottom and took off all sharp edges... not shown I added rivets to strengthen at bottom...With a pro pointer you can define the outline of a target and safely cut a professional looking plug... I spray the bottom of the plug with miracle grow root treatment before putting back in the ground...If the pro pointer doesnt pick up the target you will probably not be able to go deep enough to damage the target...

Last edited:

TCosbyJr

Jun 3, 2012
Bedford, IN
Detector(s) used
Current: Tesoro Outlaw, BH Tracker IV, HF MD6008
Ex: White's Coinmaster Pro, BH Discovery 3300, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a great idea, with nice results. :occasion14:

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
Just yesrerday, I was MDing using my normal bulb planter thinking "too bad it isn't wider on the bottom".
Great idea.
Tokameel

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a good idea, but you're not the first to think of it.

Here's some posts on it where others have tried to perfect it and could save you time and effort of doing something that has already been done before.
Also just do a search on the forum for "Plug cutter" there are alot more posts on the subject.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/techniques/20964-grassy-area-digging-tool.html

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/general-discussion/30186-custom-built-plugger.html

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/general-discussion/66361-will-work-sod-plug-gun.html

Here are some professional ones for golf courses that I'm sure are tried and true for more ideas for ya.

http://eagleonegolf.com/store/listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory=129
Good Luck with your venture & Happy Hunting

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hot zone

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine is cheaper, found in any hardware store and not some big silly hunk a metal to hall around. Just modify and there you go!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's also designed to be used in tilled soil. It will quickly fail from using it in normal ground. You are much better off just using a regular digger to cut a "U" plug.

OP
OP
Hot zone

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's also designed to be used in tilled soil. It will quickly fail from using it in normal ground. You are much better off just using a regular digger to cut a "U" plug.
That may well be, I have added extra rivets. I should make one like it from a piece of 4 inch irrigation pipe. However, just today the grounds keeper at the park came up and talked to me as I cut a plug with it, sprayed the bottom with root treatment, took a dime, and replanted the plug. Needless to say he was impressed and if I never use it again it was worth it to be allowed to continue to hunt the park.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're right. if you never used it again, that one time has done a world of good for you!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions