Half dollar trifecta! I never thought this was possible. Best day ever!

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the chance to hunt one of Maryland's first land grants yesterday. This site was incredible. It has Colonial artifacts right beside coins lost last week and you can't swing once without at least an iron signal. The family made their money as ship builders for the US during the War of Independence and after and there are four 20 pound cannonballs in the driveway. The walkways and area right around the house were clean of good sounding targets and it had been hunted before so I decided to try the massive front yard. I was swinging the Minelab Safari with the 15 inch WOT coil. This coil has sniffed out a large cent at 20 inches so I knew it would hit those deep old coins. What the Safari lacks in target separation and brains it makes up for in depth and coverage.
The lawn was the size of a football field and the EMI was overwhelming. The ground was soft as butter and there were several types of dirt. The red orange coin eating dirt, the black fluffy coin preserving dirt and some sandy loamy areas. The mosquitoes were like a flock of blackbirds engulfing me. First target was this nicely preserved Navy button which may be from the War of 1812. He's got the slightly longer neck. Well that got my blood pumping! The third target was a toasty large cent (that I suspect is a Flowing Hair type) so I tightened up my search pattern. TID was bouncy and impossible with the EMI so I dug any deep iffy signals that seemed to not be entirely iron. All the 1800s stuff was at 9-15 inches just under a layer of oyster shells and TID was bouncy as there was iron in the hole with several of the coins. The coins had large diffuse halos.
The Indian head rang up like a nickel which surprised me. I think its the "fatty" variety and its a different composition of metal than later Indians. I got a huge target that rang in like a can. When I dug it it was a silver plated decoration off a saddle with a piece of leather still attached. I got closer to the house and the next few coins were hidden in and under a matrix of nails. It felt like I was digging ghost targets since after popping the plug neither the pin pointer nor the detector could sense the target. I just kept digging down, down down until I could get the pointer to tell me I was close.
The unidentified (possibly French) coin rang up like a large cent on a few swings (32 Safari =78+/- AT pro) and I was so surprised with it and the next several digs I didn't take any in situ pics. I am counting it as a half because of the weight but since its not US its technically not a half dollar but the equivalent. Technicalities. Next I hit a few square nails and a large cent but it was toast. Then I got a cleaner signal and the Barber came out shallow at about 6 inches and clean and shiny. I was pounding a tiny area and digging anything that would give me a response out of the iron range. I got a really good signal but when I dug down there was a wire (probably live) and I couldn't work around it since the pointer was going off on the wire. Luckily it appeared I didn't cut the wire so after rooting around blind I filled it back in.
The Seated Liberty was the toughest coin since there was a bent square nail in the hole and it was hemmed in by roots. I kept cutting with the lesche and going deeper at a painfully slow rate until it came out with an oyster shell and a cool piece of a ceramic pot. A seated liberty half has been a bucket lister for me forever and I never thought I'd find one. I couldn't even read it I was practically shaking and I gave it a wipe and there she was! At this point I just started laughing maniacally because I was in disbelief and the care taker came out to check on me. I was laughing because I would have walked away from all these signals except for the Barber if I was anywhere else because they were so trashy. It felt like the worse the signal the better the coin. All three large silvers and a large cent were in close proximity to one another and there is still a giant target I want to investigate in case its a pile of coins but the care taker wasn't as enthusiastic when I said it would be a big plug, even after showing him the finds. Theres also the wire running straight through the site so I can't just attack it.
After I regained my composure I grabbed my phone and went away from the EMI. If I dug any more holes in that area there wouldn't have been any grass left. The plugs look like a minefield. I next found an old gas lamp, some plated napkin holders and the Roosie, the quarter and a wheatie near some junk jewelry so it looked as if they liked to picnic on the front lawn. I did get a few pics there. Before I knew it it was dark and the mosquitoes were trying to carry me off so I reluctantly packed it in.
I can't wait to go back and work this site with the AT pro and a smaller coil as it may run quieter than the Safari. I am worried a small coil won't get me to depth but I'll let you know. I am also surprised that I didn't find any half dimes or older nickels, only Jeffersons. I know they must be here but are too small / deep to get a response. Any rate that's the story of my best coin day ever with three bucket listers! When I get all the artifacts cleaned up I'll post some pics. I always wanted some inspirational finds to post for you all. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20170910_145257044.jpg
    IMG_20170910_145257044.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 268
  • IMG_20170910_200759522.jpg
    IMG_20170910_200759522.jpg
    602.3 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_20170912_173736030.jpg
    IMG_20170912_173736030.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 181
  • IMG_20170912_191421703.jpg
    IMG_20170912_191421703.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 185
  • IMG_20170912_200500369.jpg
    IMG_20170912_200500369.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 348
  • IMG_20170913_081247331.jpg
    IMG_20170913_081247331.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 209
  • IMG_20170913_081225238.jpg
    IMG_20170913_081225238.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 211
  • IMG_20170913_081314369.jpg
    IMG_20170913_081314369.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 182
Upvote 54

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Frenchie looks like a Louis xiv (sun king) 12 denier, 1791-93

Congrats on that coin and your other finds! Very promising site...

Actually Louis XVI, the one that lost his head.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome hunt!!! Congrats!!!!
I'm sure there's more there :)
Good Luck To You.....!!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Geez that's one great hunt, big silvers, relics, that's a dream hunt written all over it, congrats!

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What an amazing day- Congrats on all those great finds!!

-- Jeff --

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's total insanity! Congrats on a hunt you'll never forget!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
congrats on the awesome silver and other finds, hopefully you will be posting even more finds

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Amazing French find man! And that seated half is an excellent recovery as well. And the spectacle buckle - wow. Sheez man, I would say you had yourself an unforgettable day - one to remember forever I'd venture to say. You smashed it big time!!

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know when you return to that site you will be singing,
"HAPPY DAYS ARE HERE AGAIN"
That was a super hunt.
Congrats

califteacher

Sep 30, 2012
Vista, San Diego County, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Oh man...this makes great late night reading for us back benchers--this from someone who has never even found a silver coin. I can't begin to imagine what your day was like. Out here in California, we just don't have the history that you do. Wonderful story and post! Thanks!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good picture of that buckle is needed?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread