Months ago I dug up an antique axehead. Today I turned it into a hatchet!

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone! This is my first hatchet, and the handle is the first thing that I ever carved before, so please go easy on me. I have a ton of room for improvement!

Anyway earlier in the spring I was at my grandparent's 1840s or earlier property in Southern Ohio. I dug up this old axehead and knew right away I wanted to restore it somehow, but shelved it for the time being. I have no use for an axe, so I decided to modify it and make a hatchet out of it!

Today at work (during breaks) my goal was to get the head prepped to make into a hatchet. I started by sandblasting it with metal sand to get off all the rust. I might have used electrolysis but I ruined my battery charger and don't have a replacement at the moment. After sandblasting, I picked a spot to cut the head so that I can begin converting it to a hatchet. After cutting it, I made a small piece of cold roll steel to cap the open end off, leaving extra to grind flush. I welded it to the existing steel.

After I welded it and let it cool, I used the extra stock from the butt to grind it flush and smooth out the surface a bit. I decided against grinding enough to completely smooth it because I wanted the hatchet to keep a bit of it's history. I didn't want it to lose it's story, so to speak. I only have a woodcutting machete and a folding knife to work with but I'll make do!

Cutting the handle is part where I struggle a bit. Carving wood is something I'm completely new at, but I gave it my best shot!

After fastening the head to the new handle, I was able to split a small stack of wood for a fire with it!

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 2014-10-17 12.26.43.jpg 2014-10-17 12.29.45.jpg 2014-10-17 12.37.28.jpg 2014-10-17 12.46.29.jpg DSC_0001.jpg DSC_0002.jpg DSC_0003.jpg
DSC_0001_1.jpg DSC_0002_1.jpg DSC_0003_1.jpg DSC_0005.jpg DSC_0006.jpg

hoosierguy

Feb 5, 2013
Laconia, IN
Detector(s) used
● Minelab Manticore ● Minelab CTX-3030 ● Minelab Equinox 800 ● Minelab Goldmaster 1000 ● Garrett Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great work! You have skills :)

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
good job by you!..and the cows watching you dig still kills me:laughing7:

OP
OP
mr helton

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys I appreciate the kind words. I posted it elsewhere and got trashed by everyone because I cut an old axehead, but the way I see it, I don't sell any of my finds, and it was just sitting with a multitude of other relics that I've dug, so I figured why not make it into something I WILL use?

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where else would you post your finds? I don't know of any other forums or sites....Tnet is where its at yo.

keith2004

Jun 16, 2012
alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted it elsewhere and got trashed by everyone because I cut an old axehead, ......... why not make it into something I WILL use?
old common axeheads are a dime a dozen,i've got 17.but i think you had a burst of inspiration when you repurposed yours.Do you mind if i copy your idea?

OP
OP
mr helton

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where else would you post your finds? I don't know of any other forums or sites....Tnet is where its at yo.

It actually wasn't a treasure related site at all. I think that's why they didn't quite understand why using an axe that I dug up was so special.

OP
OP
mr helton

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
old common axeheads are a dime a dozen,i've got 17.but i think you had a burst of inspiration when you repurposed yours.Do you mind if i copy your idea?

Of course not, in fact I'd love it if you posted it here when you finish it!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost cried seeing the axe in the bandsaw.... Then saw what you did with it. Great idea! Great job! Hows it balance?

Got me thinking, got a few sitting all lonesome on the shelf. I could split it, and instead of closing the backs mount em on some nice oak for bookends. Good Christmas present for my tool collector buddy. Thanks for the idea!!

OP
OP
mr helton

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost cried seeing the axe in the bandsaw.... Then saw what you did with it. Great idea! Great job! Hows it balance?

Got me thinking, got a few sitting all lonesome on the shelf. I could split it, and instead of closing the backs mount em on some nice oak for bookends. Good Christmas present for my tool collector buddy. Thanks for the idea!!

Wow that bookend is a GREAT idea, go for it

It seems pretty well balanced so far. Cuts really nice :)

I'll be making a new handle once I get better skills lol

OP
OP
mr helton

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I worked on the handle and made it much nicer :)

DSC_0001.jpg DSC_0002.jpg

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well done, Helton! :thumbsup:

I got a thing for old axe heads and hammer heads. Whenever I see one at a yard sale, I pick it up. I have re-handled many old axe heads and sometimes wind up with a real prize. I especially look for old Flint-Edge, Plumb, and True-Temper heads. Best of the best, in my opinion.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the fact you re-purposed it and gave it a new life instead of it just collecting dust and rust.

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cant stand when people comment to cry about oohhh you destroyed it and oohhh how could you do that!? Didn't there moms ever teach them if they don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all? Anyways.. Good job. And more power to you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread