What is the best metal detector that money can buy?

NJ Garrett

Apr 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all!

As the holiday season rolls around, I wanted to get some feedback from everyone.

If money was no object, was is the very best metal detector that one can buy? Looking for coin/relic hunting/jewelry hunting in parks/woods and the beach. Looking for deepest detecting.

Currently using a CTX3030 and propointer. I like both immensely.

Also looking for a good detector for my niece and nephew. Was thinking ACE 250.

Thoughts welcome!

Kevin

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good questions. Here are my thoughts...

If the CTX was a bit deeper and faster it would probably be the best out there. The Deus is excellent because it is moderately deep, fast and light. The problems I have with the Deus is that it is hard to read (the LCD) and it is a little fragile. Seems also the Deus is better than the CTX for relic hunting.

For your daughter, there are two trades of thoughts (or one really) go cheaper (Ace 150 or BH) because she may not stick with it, or go expensive enough (ACE 250) where she will stay at it. If you don't think she will care to look/read the graphics, I would go more with a Compradre or Tesoro Silver Umax. I think the Euro Tek Pro or Euro Tek is a better choice than the ACE 250, if the graphics/readings are something she would want.

Last edited:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fisher has some new machines.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How old is your nephew? If he is younger than 13, I'd go for a light weight detector and opt for a turn on and go machine. As listed earlier, the euroteck pro is a good option as well as the fisher F2. Both weigh 2.6 lbs. If your not sure if he will enjoy the hobby I would watch both ebay and craigslist and buy a used detector to save some money. Hopefully you air test different coins and metals with your nephew so he can get used to the sounds and Target ID' on the display. If your nephew does not care for target readouts on a screen then the Tesoro Compadre would be a good choice and it only weighs 2 lbs. and is less expensive.

ATProAdam

Jan 25, 2013
Salisbury NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ace 250 is great beginner detector and I still love mine. I'm a Garrett guy and the AT Pro is great for all you need, waterproof and rugged. I love mine. I doubt I'll upgrade again.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I told my hunting buddy yesterday, that the best machine is one that you are used to and like to use.

ATProAdam

Jan 25, 2013
Salisbury NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I told my hunting buddy yesterday, that the best machine is one that you are used to and like to use.

Very true. For me the AT Pro works great, some people like fishers and some like mine labs, but they all find stuff otherwise they wouldn't be in business lol. Like anything we all have brands. But depends on your budget really on what you can afford too.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I absolutely love my Teknetics Omega 8000. Its so easy to use and makes detecting so efficient. Its about $600.
Just recently bought a Minelab Xterra 705 which is about $700 and a terrific all around detector with many great
features and more sophisticated than the omega. Not claiming either is "the best" just good choices,

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Doesn't really matter if you don't learn the machine that you bought. Dig to learn your MD or just learn to dig.

Dtektor

Jan 3, 2012
Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero w/ 9x8 & 5.75 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all!

As the holiday season rolls around, I wanted to get some feedback from everyone.

If money was no object, was is the very best metal detector that one can buy? Looking for coin/relic hunting/jewelry hunting in parks/woods and the beach. Looking for deepest detecting.

Currently using a CTX3030 and propointer. I like both immensely.

Also looking for a good detector for my niece and nephew. Was thinking ACE 250.

Thoughts welcome!

Kevin

The BEST metal detector money can buy...is the one that you get out and USE!! Lol!

Micheal Page

Greenie
Jul 2, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to buy a Deephunter, is it a good detector that can detect gold in hidden tunnels? I dont want to waste my money on something that doesnt work, hope you can help me

99thpercentile

Nov 2, 2006
Evergreen, CO
Detector(s) used
Geonics EM61-MK2, Geophex GEM-3, GapEOD UltraTEM III, Minelabs F3, Foerster MINEX 2FD 4.500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say the GapEOD UltraTEM III six channel array. I purchased one in April 2018 for $120,000.00 and received it in August 2018. I spent two weeks in February collecting data with it for ten hours a day on Wake Island to detect UXO under the runway, taxiways, and landing aprons. We were also looking to map all of the utilities and any other metallic debris. We processed all of the data with Black Tusk Geophysics’ BTField Software.

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard it's the "Air Detector"

It can go this deep:

:headbang::violent1:;);)

Matt:notworthy: