Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought this cheap sand scoop back in the spring intending on making to the coast this year but never did. I did use it in Llano in a few spots in granite sand looking but I had some problems with it flexing so I decided to modify it a little. The first thing I did was use the handle to a knife blade I had cut out of a 1$ garage sale hand saw to stiffen up the mouth. This keeps it from crushing closed and also bending open. Then I used a smaller drill bit to add a few more holes in the back where sand and dirt were collecting around the edges. I tested it in gravel and it worked a whole lot better then originally. I also used my wire welder to touch up a few the spot welds I did not trust. Maybe 2015 I will get to the coast to really try it out!!! IMG_2081.JPG IMG_2082.JPG

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too modified a sand scoop to better fit my needs I posted it in beach and shallow water finds (honest and even brutal input welcome) was the title. Have since welded it up, started with just rivets.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey BotB, did you ever post pics of that weld-up?

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey BotB, did you ever post pics of that weld-up?

Here they are 100_4704.JPG 100_4705.JPG 100_4706.JPG 100_4707.JPG 100_4708.JPG will put in my old post also. Still going to put 45 degree bend in handle also.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Aint nuthin wrong with that, brother! Big thumbs up! :thumbsup:

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought this cheap sand scoop back in the spring intending on making to the coast this year but never did. I did use it in Llano in a few spots in granite sand looking but I had some problems with it flexing so I decided to modify it a little. The first thing I did was use the handle to a knife blade I had cut out of a 1$ garage sale hand saw to stiffen up the mouth. This keeps it from crushing closed and also bending open. Then I used a smaller drill bit to add a few more holes in the back where sand and dirt were collecting around the edges. I tested it in gravel and it worked a whole lot better then originally. I also used my wire welder to touch up a few the spot welds I did not trust. Maybe 2015 I will get to the coast to really try it out!!! View attachment 1080883 View attachment 1080884

Sorry for steering your thread off course, Tex. I must say that scoop looks solid and the price was right!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread