Detector recommendation to find ammo can

jtcarn

Nov 18, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All,

I buried a green ammo can time capsule on the farm in 1986 and I need to dig it soon before we sell the place! I have it narrowed down to about 5,000 sq. ft area (I wasn't a good planner as a 13 year old), and it is probably about 2 ft. deep. (I was also lazy). It is near an old dump area so there are a lot of old tin cans, etc. Looking for best bet on what I can use that could go "that deep" and I could ideallt isolate to finding a large steel box. Any thoughts? Thank you.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a tough one. My guess would be you really didn't dig a hole over two feet deep, that's a pretty big hole, it's probably more shallow. If the hole is two feet deep, the can's just over a foot down. Any metal detector would work, probably. If you don't have a metal detector, try using a probe. If you can find a 1/4 inch steel rod somewhere, try probing for it. You will know it if you hit it. Good luck.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
I would recommend starting a new thread titled Detectorist Needed (your state)

Then explain your self again, likely to get a great deal more traffic, but also, folks on here are really stand up, you are certain to find someone to give you a hand.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard JTCarn! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forum: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country). You might also consider adding your state (or country) to your displayed profile (SETTINGS -> EDIT PROFILE) - members may have more success helping you (your location may help, etc.). Also - I would take Oddjob's advice!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread