Waterbug

Jul 6, 2005
Iowa
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, XLT & GoldmasterV/SAT
Fisher 1280x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I needed to replace the foam grip on my water detector handle and purchased a replacement for my machine(one grip) online for $7.While installing,it tore. Cheap foam or very old.So I did a search on the internet and found that these foam grips are the same thing as motorcycle grip covers.They range from .99 cents per PAIR from China(e-bay) on up to around $20 +- pr pair from US dealers.Prices and sizes vary so you'll need to measure for the diameter of your handle.I purchased a pair from a US dealer for around $11.Cut one to size and it works perfectly.Also, they are made of strong foam material and weather resistant.
Hope someone finds this helpfull.
PS: I did purchase a pair of the .99 cent ones from China just for comparison,waiting for arrival.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need a tool to put the grip on. I cut a round section of a plastic coffee can and rolled it up like a news paper put the grip on it then insert the handle into the center of the grip and then roll the rubber grip odd the plastic onto the handle.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

Waterbug

Jul 6, 2005
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TH,
Thanks for that tip.There are a number of tricks to replacing the grips,rubbing alcohol,soap,hair spray,etc.The problem I had with the tearing, was the foam material is very cheap quality or old from setting on a shelf for years.The new ones are very strong and take a lot of stretching.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any bicycle shops near you? They usually have a good selection of sizes, shapes & colors. And usually cheaper. Never used anything but universal grip fluid. Oh, never heard of it!?!? Spit! Push from the back & it'll expand a little, try to pull from the front it'll tighten. When the other guys see you with the cool royal blue grip, tell them you can get them one for what you paid for the pair or just keep it for a spare.

Woodsy

Oct 26, 2018
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Outlaw, Mojave, Nox 800, E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Soak it in hot water and it will slide right on.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TH,
Thanks for that tip.There are a number of tricks to replacing the grips,rubbing alcohol,soap,hair spray,etc.The problem I had with the tearing, was the foam material is very cheap quality or old from setting on a shelf for years.The new ones are very strong and take a lot of stretching.

Even brand new from the factory they tear very easily.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great post I was wondering about this also

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you thought about using a tennis handle wrap?

OP
OP
W

Waterbug

Jul 6, 2005
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today,I received the .99 cents per pair foam handle grip covers from China.They look to be of good quality and do not tear like the $7.00 one did.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For those still interested: Grab On motorcycle grips are rugged and waterproof.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread