WATCH WHAT YOU POST - BIG BROTHER IS

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
As I read tarpon's post, I thought "oh be serious now ...." And I see that many others in the replies share this sentiment.

Tarpon: if you want to find something to worry about (big brother, etc...) then why stop there? If you think about it long and hard enough, you won't even leave your front door in the morning "lest you be mugged" or "lest a lion attack you" or "lest big brother be watching you", etc...

Your caution level and risk-assessment reminds me of a skittish overly-worrisome lady I once knew, who had decided to sell a car she owned. I sugggested to her that she simply put the car on craigslist to sell (which is the modern day equivalent to yesteryear's newspaper classifieds, right?). But she "worried" that someone "she didn't know" would be coming over to her house to look at it. And .... afterall .... "what if they're weird?" I assured her that people buy and sell all the time over the classified ads and deals go down all the time without a hitch. She can just use a neutral place to meet any prospective buyers. I mean .... sure, so what if you get a tire-kicker who doesn't end up buying? Or who has body odor when he comes over to look at your car? So what? Her answer to this was that the person might find out where she lives, and target her for a home invasion robbery later, because afterall, the car was a nice car (a top end Lexus with low miles, etc...) and they might perceive she has money, and target her for a robbery. I tried to tell the lady that people sell expensive cars all the time that are even more valuable than hers, and no, this type of targeting is not likely to occur. Afterall .... I tried to reason with her .... If simply owing a nice car makes one a target for a robbery, then crooks don't need to answer C.L. ads to find car owners to target. They can just drive down the street and see what's parked in each driveway! Doh! But in each case, she was still unconvinced, and wanted to go with one of those expensive car lots where they sell the car for you on consignment.

It eventually dawned on me, that no amount of common sense answers was going to convince this lady that she was not in "imminent danger" for something as routine as this, and no one cared less, etc.. Because you see, her caution level and risk assessment was over-blown and utterly affixed on some silly remote possibilities that "could happen", that in her mind, were very real.

So too is it with you tarpon. If you think anyone in govt. really cares less that you just found a 1960 silver roosie, and will thus follow you around to see where you found it, you're more than welcome to go and hide out somewhere. And by the way, no, it is not "illegal" to dig items over 50 years old, barring some federal parks or something. There are TONS of places where it's perfectly ok to dig targets 200 years old till you're blue in the face. And no, no one's going to follow you around when/if you post your old coins, to see where you found them. Trust me, no one cares. But then again, just like my inability to convince this lady her fears were un-founded, so too is our attempt to convince you that you're worried for nothing, will probably fall on deaf ears.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Jeep-thanks for making that link I do appreciate it. Tom of CA I don't see the harm in asking questions. I think there are many in government that would prefer us just except every decision they make without questioning it. California tops the list of governments infringing on the rights of people. What I don't understand is why Californias don't make a stand and say enough is enough. Also you think it is so far fetched to think that our government could take your personal property? Think again...it has happened time and time again. Read a little bit about how the government confinscated gold from citizens and raded safe deposit boxes. I was investigated for my CRHing hobbie and if it happened to me it can happen to anyone.

Golden Silver

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Golden Silver, I am trying to find a way to answer you, and have decided to do so like this: Go back to my example of the lady I knew who was convinced that she would be in danger if she sold her car on Craigslist (in danger of being targeted for car theft, home invasion robbery, etc...). Now you and I would KNOW this is silly, right? You and I would know that people buy and sell cars all the time on classified (even expensive ones), right? And sure, now and then someone wierd might come by and look, or sure, now and then you *do* read in the paper of someone who took a car on a test drive but never came back (ie.: stolen). Sure, anything *could* happen. So too can a 747 fall out of the sky and hit you tomorrow at lunch. Sure. But the reality that you and I can deduce, is that this lady is overly worrisome about silly remote possibilities, and that the stories she read in some isolated cases of crimes in a newspaper article are VASTLY the minority exceptions, right?

Now: go apply everything you've said to me, and put those exact words in this lady's mouth, as per the issue of whether selling a car on craigslist is "safe" or not. In other words, she too would say (as you have): "I don't see the harm in asking questions". And "I think there are many [car buyers] that would prefer us just except every decision they make without questioning it." And "Also you think it is so far fetched to think that [car buyers] could take your personal property? Think again...it has happened time and time again. " And "Read a little bit [in scary newspaper clips] about how [past car buyers] confinscated [cars] from citizens and raded [their homes]."

You see? If you think about it long enough and hard enough, you can choose to elevate your caution level to the point where CERTAINLY assasins are hiding under rocks, and so forth.

But just as I was unable to assure the lady that she could sell her car on C.L., and save $1000 in consignment fees (I even offered to go meet potential buyers for her, at a neutral Dennys parking lot), then so too is it going to be impossible to convince persons that big brother could care less about their 1960 roosie dimes. Because just as this lady could fish through past year's newspapers, and sure enough, come up with a case example of some crime that "started on craigslist", so too can the conspiracist crowd come up with bullet-proof links, stories, etc... that show that our lines are being bugged, black helicopters hover over your house at night, and so forth.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Tom_in_CA said:
Golden Silver, I am trying to find a way to answer you, and have decided to do so like this: Go back to my example of the lady I knew who was convinced that she would be in danger if she sold her car on Craigslist (in danger of being targeted for car theft, home invasion robbery, etc...). Now you and I would KNOW this is silly, right? You and I would know that people buy and sell cars all the time on classified (even expensive ones), right? And sure, now and then someone wierd might come by and look, or sure, now and then you *do* read in the paper of someone who took a car on a test drive but never came back (ie.: stolen). Sure, anything *could* happen. So too can a 747 fall out of the sky and hit you tomorrow at lunch. Sure. But the reality that you and I can deduce, is that this lady is overly worrisome about silly remote possibilities, and that the stories she read in some isolated cases of crimes in a newspaper article are VASTLY the minority exceptions, right?

Now: go apply everything you've said to me, and put those exact words in this lady's mouth, as per the issue of whether selling a car on craigslist is "safe" or not. In other words, she too would say (as you have): "I don't see the harm in asking questions". And "I think there are many [car buyers] that would prefer us just except every decision they make without questioning it." And "Also you think it is so far fetched to think that [car buyers] could take your personal property? Think again...it has happened time and time again. " And "Read a little bit [in scary newspaper clips] about how [past car buyers] confinscated [cars] from citizens and raded [their homes]."

You see? If you think about it long enough and hard enough, you can choose to elevate your caution level to the point where CERTAINLY assasins are hiding under rocks, and so forth.

But just as I was unable to assure the lady that she could sell her car on C.L., and save $1000 in consignment fees (I even offered to go meet potential buyers for her, at a neutral Dennys parking lot), then so too is it going to be impossible to convince persons that big brother could care less about their 1960 roosie dimes. Because just as this lady could fish through past year's newspapers, and sure enough, come up with a case example of some crime that "started on craigslist", so too can the conspiracist crowd come up with bullet-proof links, stories, etc... that show that our lines are being bugged, black helicopters hover over your house at night, and so forth.

Well said Tom,
Yes I do advise caution prior to posting
But I will also lay out some info not covered ...
Most especially about stuff recovered from private property,
If you have the landowner's permission to hunt and recover from his property....

What you find is yours. (until they change the law)
if they want to raise a stink about it you can have it in writing.

Good hunting all !
de-tails are the last part over the fence, worry about them when you come to them

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
Tom, I appreciate your sentiment. It is not a personal attack on you so please do not be offended. I don't think people should worry about a few dimes pulled out of the ground...that was not my point. Many of us on this website are big time collectors of bullion and are well invested in precious metals. My point was to say that one should never assume it can't and won't happen to me. Or say Oh that is crazy! That never happens. I have been there and done that and have been unpleasantly suprised as to what can happen. Like I said I have had my own personal experience and I know a few others have had similar things happen to them. Once again I will point you to history Order 6102 is an Executive Order signed on April 5, 1933, by U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt "forbidding the Hoarding of Gold Coin, Gold Bullion, and Gold Certificates within the continental United States". The order criminalized the possession of monetary gold by any individual, partnership, association or corporation. In this case the U.S government did not offer to buy your gold but actually stole personal property under the guise that they needed it to help in economic recovery. Hmmmm sounds like someone else in political office... Do I think that lady was wrong for going to a car lot to sell her car and not trusting you. I think she had heard the horror stories and decided to go with the best route for her. Sometimes for an individual the best choice for them is the one that gives them the most piece of mind and is the least hassle. I do appreciate your opinion and would incourage others to do the same. It gets people thinking...that is all we can ask of anyone. Good luck and God bless.

Golden Silver

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Some of us have been at this for a while, and we are aware that this forum is watched.
while the watchers are very obvious we are more than usually carefull.
I among many appreciate the heads up you have posted...
But you should be aware we have been watching these guys for years...

Golden...
I am wishing you the best of hunting.
Be careful and enjoy the hobby.
Please watch what you post and just be the hunter you set out to be.

OP
OP
tarpon192

tarpon192

Mar 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom_in_CA said:
As I read tarpon's post, I thought "oh be serious now ...." And I see that many others in the replies share this sentiment.

Tarpon: if you want to find something to worry about (big brother, etc...) then why stop there? If you think about it long and hard enough, you won't even leave your front door in the morning "lest you be mugged" or "lest a lion attack you" or "lest big brother be watching you", etc...

Your caution level and risk-assessment reminds me of a skittish overly-worrisome lady I once knew, who had decided to sell a car she owned. I sugggested to her that she simply put the car on craigslist to sell (which is the modern day equivalent to yesteryear's newspaper classifieds, right?). But she "worried" that someone "she didn't know" would be coming over to her house to look at it. And .... afterall .... "what if they're weird?" I assured her that people buy and sell all the time over the classified ads and deals go down all the time without a hitch. She can just use a neutral place to meet any prospective buyers. I mean .... sure, so what if you get a tire-kicker who doesn't end up buying? Or who has body odor when he comes over to look at your car? So what? Her answer to this was that the person might find out where she lives, and target her for a home invasion robbery later, because afterall, the car was a nice car (a top end Lexus with low miles, etc...) and they might perceive she has money, and target her for a robbery. I tried to tell the lady that people sell expensive cars all the time that are even more valuable than hers, and no, this type of targeting is not likely to occur. Afterall .... I tried to reason with her .... If simply owing a nice car makes one a target for a robbery, then crooks don't need to answer C.L. ads to find car owners to target. They can just drive down the street and see what's parked in each driveway! Doh! But in each case, she was still unconvinced, and wanted to go with one of those expensive car lots where they sell the car for you on consignment.

It eventually dawned on me, that no amount of common sense answers was going to convince this lady that she was not in "imminent danger" for something as routine as this, and no one cared less, etc.. Because you see, her caution level and risk assessment was over-blown and utterly affixed on some silly remote possibilities that "could happen", that in her mind, were very real.

So too is it with you tarpon. If you think anyone in govt. really cares less that you just found a 1960 silver roosie, and will thus follow you around to see where you found it, you're more than welcome to go and hide out somewhere. And by the way, no, it is not "illegal" to dig items over 50 years old, barring some federal parks or something. There are TONS of places where it's perfectly ok to dig targets 200 years old till you're blue in the face. And no, no one's going to follow you around when/if you post your old coins, to see where you found them. Trust me, no one cares. But then again, just like my inability to convince this lady her fears were un-founded, so too is our attempt to convince you that you're worried for nothing, will probably fall on deaf ears.
Take a look in the shipwreck forum, and see what is happening in the state of Florida. We have lots of shipwrecks here in case you didn't know. You may dig 1960 silver rosies where you live, but here we dig up other stuff, and most likely people will be searched when leaving the beach with a metal detector. Government cares what is being found - you can post your 1960 coins here all year long - your right when you say "no one cares", but that may soon change also the way our government is going.

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
"WATCH WHAT YOU POST - BIG BROTHER IS"

Know the law. Stay with in the law. No problem..
If you be doing some thing illegal, well you most likely should be worried if posting such.

That is the situation in a nut shell.

OP
OP
tarpon192

tarpon192

Mar 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lostcauses said:
"WATCH WHAT YOU POST - BIG BROTHER IS"

Know the law. Stay with in the law. No problem..
If you be doing some thing illegal, well you most likely should be worried if posting such.

That is the situation in a nut shell.
I am not breaking the law - the laws are changing, and what people have been doing for 50 plus years is following the law. Now it will be changing. Sounds to me like you are part of it.

You should really start using spellcheck before you click on post. Enjoy your DONUTS.

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
tarpon192
Hmm seems you are suggesting I am something. What???

You got the balls to suggest it, now lets see if you got the balls to write it...

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
What are you all going to do write each other to death? I mean tough words only go so far on the internet. If you are attacking somebody over the web your balls may be in question to begin with. As for obeying the laws and your fine crap...there are numerous examples of this not being true including DUI check points etc. Perfectly innocent people being stopped for doing nothing but trying to get from point A to point B. As I said before I was investigated and had not broken one law. Although during my interrogation they did mention the fact that if I was not careful I could end up breaking the law and that could result in jail time and confiscation of my goods. I kid you not. Happy Hunting to all but please don't tell me that you will be fine if all you do is follow the letter of the law.

Golden Silver

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I dont think anyone is going to have a problem with government intrusion on this website. I would believe that if there was a crime committed on a historical property and there was reason to believe detectors were used then a skilled investigator would browse the various metal detecting websites for any possible information. I am sure that fellow detectorist would assist since there are people out there that will give this hobby a "black eye" like any other hobby and career. Just think of those who decide to pouch instead of hunting during the correct hunting season. They deal with the individual not the group. Happy hunting and you should always keep an eye out while you are detecting. We as detectorist can easily be prayed upon because some people know our equipment is expensive and they think we are finding expensive items. Happy hunting and have a good week.

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
golden silver
One does get tiered of the BS.
As for "Although during my interrogation they did mention the fact that if I was not careful I could end up breaking the law and that could result in jail time and confiscation of my goods. I kid you not. "

Well at least they did not lie to you about it. It goes with any thing you say can and will be used against you in a court of law.

As for you being investigated, reason had to exist for such.
Of course you were most likely doing nothing wrong, yet some one thought you were. Some times Law enforcement listens to informants that end up causing others lots of problems.
Will have to read the rest of your posts about this.

edited to add
"I was investigated for my CRHing hobbie"

So did they think you were ripping of vending machines or laundering money??
Man I would like to know what bank or teller told em you were doing such...

If some one did not know of CRHing, what would they think when some one comes along dumping change all the time?

Yep I can see some fool making assumptions over that.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
Lostcauses,

You are right that someone may have tipped them. I will never be sure as they did not feel it necessary to give me any reasons for following me for a year and invading my privacy. I can assure that I was doing no more than anyone else on this forum. The reason that I am still upset over this incident is for the reason I have given. There was no law broken, nore was there any reason to investigate me and follow me for over a year. Since they accessed my bank accounts and followed my expenditures, they would easily have been able to figure out that I was a coin collector nothing more. The idea of someone parked outside my house and spying on me and my family for no reason still shakes me up. I used to hold your opinion on this issue until of course I was on the receiving end. Are you involved in law enforcement? That is the feeling I get. I thank you for your service. I know that the job is often thankless. Especially now a days. It seems everyone is out to bust a cop. Listen, I am not against law enforcement serving and protecting but I am against the infringement of personal rights. I wish you luck in your hunt.

Golden Silver

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
golden silver
No I am not involved with LE. Have had my encounters with them, I learn and read.
I don't know all of what happened with you, but does sound very strange. Of course as I said it was most likely some one who could not understand what you were doing and suspected more. Not unusual, and of course, a lot of wasted money and time went into what ever it was. Strange thing do happen.
What kind of Law enforcement were investigating you?? Sounds like a federal group.

OP
OP
tarpon192

tarpon192

Mar 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lostcauses said:
tarpon192
Hmm seems you are suggesting I am something. What???

You got the balls to suggest it, now lets see if you got the balls to write it...
I don't have balls - I have a vagina. :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread