Protecting Your Detecting Rights

Placer1

Greenie
Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just wanted to make everyone aware that our rights to responsibly enjoy our hobby are still being challenged throughout the US. The most recent issue is this announcement, courtesy of the Task Force for Metal Detecting Rights Foundation:
:help:

In response to all of the city parks in Louisville being closed, the Task Force is preparing for an upcoming senate vote on this item. If you want to help out, you can join the detecting rights mailing list to receive calls to action like petitions.

Thanks for hearing me out :icon_thumright:

Petrie502

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
Louisville Kentucky
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS (Combat Marine retired)
SEMPER FIDELIS
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you know of anything new transpireing

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
No offense, but what rights? I don't remember the constitution mentioning metal detectors.

Petrie502

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
Louisville Kentucky
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS (Combat Marine retired)
SEMPER FIDELIS
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No not in the constitution but you would think somewhere in there in between freedom of speech and the right to bear arms theres a freedom to pull a coin out the ground. This is still america right
No offense, but what rights? I don't remember the constitution mentioning metal detectors.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Austin, don't you get it? You're right, the constitution doesn't mention metal detectors. Of course. BUT THAT'S JUST THE POINT! The constitution (or laws at any varying level of govt. down-the-line all the way to cities) DON'T need to specifically "allow" an activity. You've got it backwards. The fact that it's not dis-allowed there (or at any various level you're looking into), means .... duh .... that it is therefore not prohibited.

And yes, this doesn't mean that a city (or county, or a state park, etc...) can't "disallow" it though :)

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Austin you should listen to Tom.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread