Exp II, Prism V, Ace 250

Nick in NEPA

Dec 28, 2006
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The laws of detecting vary depending on your state, town, and/or county. I'm a newb too, and one of the best places for a beginner to start is either (a) your yard or (b) a park...but check the laws before you dig.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First and foremost,welcome to the Treasurenet forum.I have a couple cousins in Orange Park.As to your questions about where to detect and the laws pertaining to those areas,I will start with a link to the Clay county Parks and Recreation dept.-http://www.claycountygov.com/Departments/Parks_Rec/community_parks.htm
You may want to call them or email them as to the laws in your area as far as detecting the parks go.If the say no,tell them you want to see the ordinance stating that it is illegal,be persistant.I would ask what type of detecting are you into? Coins and jewelry or relic hunting or anything and everything? The beach isn't too far from you and it is always legal to detect.Your gonna have to do some asking around for permission to hunt on private property.Your area has a great history along the St.Johns river with many steamboats that sunk,as well as many indian relics and fossils also to be found.There are several old fort sites up there also.Fort Heilman is S.E.of Middlesburg along the black creek was established in 1836.Garey's Ferry was located across the creek from that.An unnamed Revolutionary war fort was located on the banks of Doctors Lake and was in use up to 1883.At Doctors inlet there was a plantation that was built in 1784.The ghost town of Oypas was located 3 miles SW of Middlesburg.Fort Green 2 1/2 miles east of hwy 663-62 intersection along the peace river in Fort Green Springs,was established in the 1830's.This is all just information.As to who owns these properties nowadays and the condition of these sites I have listed,I couldn't tell you.You'll have to do some asking around i'm sure.You have to be a sort of amateur detective sometimes in this hobby to find out the who's,what's,where's,why's and how's of detecting a particular area or site.I hope this helps and I hope some others on here can give you some more information.Maybe there'a a few on here from Jax. that could offer a word or two of advice.At any rate,good luck and let us know how you do and keep us posted! Happy New Year and H.H.-diggummup

OP
OP
lakillian

lakillian

Dec 29, 2006
Winfield, WV
Detector(s) used
Exp II, Prism V, Ace 250
Thank you so much for all the information. I sent you a private message and I hope you get it. I want to start finding some gold! Am I to eager? LOL

Hope to hear from you again

Lori

DR

Feb 22, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
DFX, Excal 1000
Hi Lori,

For info on local laws pretty much anywhere go to municode.com.Most of the cities and counties I have researched have the rules for MDing on public parks and property in the park and recreation parts of their local codes or areas labled prohibited activities or something similar.
The beach laws are a State Issue.
Unfortunately for us if you dig a hole lower than the mean high tide mark, what ever that is, the state says you have just committed the act of performing archaeological investigation by excavation.
A 3rd degree felony.
If you don't dig a hole and pick something up it is a misdemeanor.
Go to myflorida.com and choose government, then legislative branch, then look up Florida statute, then pick chapter 267.
I have no idea if it is enforced or not but ever since the isolated finds law was done away with otherwise law abiding citzens can become criminals without even knowing it as they have not exactly let anyone know of this ridiculous poorly thought out law. The state claims ownership of it and they don't trust the people.
If anyone reading this knows of any efforts out there to change this travesty of justice, please post it.

Calworks

Nov 7, 2006
Hi Lori, welcome to the site.

diggummup I also have family in Orange Park, small world

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions