All Treasure Hunting

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Far as i m concerned what the law don`t know won`t hurt them, key phrase, keep ur eyes open and mouth shut. Something extremely valuable always stick it in some other pocket then your regular finds that way if stopped or questioned u can just show a bunch of clad or jewelry.

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The laws very from state to state, so you should check your states historic resource division web page to be sure. Most states consider beach finds (between the toe of the dune, and the low tide line), as a free zone. If the beach is in a federal park, check with the rangers first.

Tom

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
The general law that I have always heard is:

If you find something, turn it in to the Police Department. And if after 30 to 90 day’s it isn’t claimed, it’s the finders. But lots of cities, counties and states are different.

But, I also heard that some PD’s auction off items that have been turned in and they keep the proceeds.

The best thing to do is not detect in illegal areas and keep you mouth shut about high dollar finds. A few guys found a huge meteorite and the Government claimed it under the 1906 Antiquates Act. If you want to read about the case, search for the Old Woman Mountains Meteorite. It was found by three prospectors, it was on public land, and they tried to claim it under the 1886 Mining Law, it didn’t work.

HH

I think you know to do now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread