obtaining permission

dokc

Oct 24, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't say written permission. The law didn't specify How the permission is to be proven just that it does. If you are out on some land and the neighbors drive down the road and say "hey - look at that guy at the old Steven's farm" and then call the cops then the "guy" has to prove that he has permission to be there if he can't prove that he is the rightful owner. I would imagine it would be like any other thing when cops get there. They, the cops, have the option to enforce the way they decide to. I believe the law was geared towards the rural areas because of all the meth labs and copper thefts. In the past you just had to put up the "no trespassing" signs and that would suffice.

ODA 226

Jan 5, 2014
Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett Sea Hunter MK II
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab Go Find 60
Land and Sea Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I didn't say written permission. The law didn't specify How the permission is to be proven just that it does. If you are out on some land and the neighbors drive down the road and say "hey - look at that guy at the old Steven's farm" and then call the cops then the "guy" has to prove that he has permission to be there if he can't prove that he is the rightful owner. I would imagine it would be like any other thing when cops get there. They, the cops, have the option to enforce the way they decide to. I believe the law was geared towards the rural areas because of all the meth labs and copper thefts. In the past you just had to put up the "no trespassing" signs and that would suffice.

In this case, the officers would no authority to do anything unless the complaint was from the landowner or his authorized agent.

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Why mess with a modern site. Go down to the county court tax office and ask for the oldest Plat maps they have. Sometimes they are on microfilm or old Plat books. Look for pioneer settlements, farms and the like. Find something interesting, have the clerk cross reference on a modern map and find the current owner. Send a letter or drive out and meet the owner. Never use a phone, its too easy for them to hang up. If you are a resident of the county or not, join that county historical society and offer your services to them as a Field Rep in recovering anything pertaining to that counties history. I found some old Drug Store bottles at one home site from 1890 with the name of the store and city. I gave them to the Historical Society Museum as they had nothing other than a name. Get a Historical Society Card and show to property owners and ask if they have anything they'd like to donate to the Museum and if you can search their land for trash dumps or old farming iron. It opens up doors once you establish trust.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread